A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas 2009, what are you making?  (Read 38841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tallyboo
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2009 10:35:55 AM »

I was thinking of ideas for my cousins who have pretty much everything they want, but have very minimal things if that makes sense. I was going to do the crayon rolls and make imagination books for them, but my aunt keeps all their coloring things together so I thought it'd be a waste of time since shes anal and would prolly not like that they had their own.

Anywhoooo I was looking through a craft book I snagged at the library and found these super cute name pillows. The pillows are the first letter of the name then the rest of the name is appliqued to the pillow. Think like a big stuffed K for Kristina then ristina appliqued to the pillow. The ones in the book were just plain but think of the fun you could have with a solid pillow and fun different fabrics for the letters!

Just thought I'd share cos I think it's a great idea for something to make for kids who are hard to craft for, and I'm pretty sure most kids don't have their own name pillow. It's also cool cos it's be something they would keep forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsMia

Christmas, Fall, and Winter Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2009 04:02:38 PM »

MsMia, I love that cookie sheet magnet board idea! As a teacher, I would love that hanging in my classroom. Cheesy

Bookmarked for future reference!

What is a Rapunzel scarf?

Rapunzel scarf

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=72581.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2009 04:35:05 PM »

Oh, wow, thanks MsMia! Those scarves would be quick and easy to make. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayamaree
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2009 09:08:45 PM »

1. Mom - wants a felted bag but I'm super nervous about it. She's a purse whore (omg I just called my mom a whore!) and I'm afraid that she'll feel like she *has* to use it cause I made it even though she may not like it as much as she thinks she's going to. Ugh. She likes bags with lots of pockets, a top zipper, and ONE strap. Any ideas on where I can find a pattern for something like that?

2. Dad - no freaking clue at all. He likes being outside, carving, fly fishing, and reading. He's hard to buy and craft for.

3. Hubs - he is also a gamer (playing WOW right now, you all are so right crafty girls do go for gamers). He is a comp-u-nerd and works at a university. I would love to make him something or other but again, no idea. Maybe some sort of something to hang on the wall? He doesn't like a lot of clutter around his desk (he needs all the room for his assortment of monitors). He's also in grad school and works full time.

4. I'm also in the process of knitting stockings for my immediate family (the kids, hubs, and myself) so that's my big focus for xmas this year. I'm currently working on the 3rd stocking out of the 5 I need to make.

5. I would LOVE to make a little something for each of my children for xmas, though I craft for them all year long and it's hard for me to find time to work on things when they aren't around so they always know what I'm making at any given moment. The kids are nearly 8, 4, and 1 year old.

I'm going to be following this thread, thanks for allowing me to vent lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2009 03:21:39 AM »

Hi jayamaree!

Here are some suggestions...

For your dad, you could do a carving tool roll. Here's a link http://thecarvingbench.tripod.com/patterns/toolroll.htm

For hubby, is he a coffee drinker? You could do him a set of WoW decoupage coffee cups if you aren't into making something for the wall. (My DH sounds a lot like yours only mine isn't in school.)

For the kids, give sock/glove critters a try. I've made my daughter (3) a ballerina mousey out of a pair of brown stretch gloves (found at Dollar Tree!), some stuffing and a pair of buttons for eyes. I used some fabric remnants to make her tutu and leotard. I'm pairing the mousey with a couple of Angelina Ballerina books. I also found some odd green gloves (gotta love Halloween!) that I'm going to turn in to an alien for my son who is 8.

I hope those help! (Sorry, I know nothing about purses or bags to help you with mom. :/ )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdollpirate
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2009 03:36:35 AM »

1. Mom - wants a felted bag but I'm super nervous about it. She's a purse whore (omg I just called my mom a whore!) and I'm afraid that she'll feel like she *has* to use it cause I made it even though she may not like it as much as she thinks she's going to. Ugh. She likes bags with lots of pockets, a top zipper, and ONE strap. Any ideas on where I can find a pattern for something like that?

Um... you could go here it is free to sign up but I did a search for you already for felted bags and i clicked for free patterns there are more if you don't mind paying for a pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search?query=felted#r=&category=bag&query=felted&sort=best&view=thumblist&apply=1&add_multi=0&add_id=25&add_0=yes&history=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
ragdollpiratedesign s.etsy.com
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2009 05:04:59 AM »

2. Dad - no freaking clue at all. He likes being outside, carving, fly fishing, and reading. He's hard to buy and craft for.

I just finished my third felted/fulled purse, and third time is the charm.  I learned that if the tension is nice and loose when you first knit it, it felts better, and the end product has a thicker, softer, more felted fabric.  The tighter tension I used with my first two bags did not allow for much felting. 

I made a bag that was sort of like this one:
http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/bags/redhat1-felt.html

with some changes, and I really like how it turned out.

Here are some more patterns you may like:
http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/Felted_Bags.html

For your dad - what about making him some lures.  OR making him a kit to tie his own lures?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2009 05:53:38 PM »

just finished

Husband - I'm making a remote control organizer to hang over the edge of his recliner. I might make it roomy enough so his game controllers will fit as well. I'm getting some secret Santa help via Holiday Helper Swap on this one so that Hubby won't have a clue. Cheesy

Both of my kids will get new hats in their stockings this year. I made my first crochet hat last week and they both went bananas over it. My son's will be his favorite shade of blue (needs some trim, dunno what yet) and my daughter's is going to be pink with white furry thread trim.

Son (almost 9) - I'm making him a set of the Mario figures. I made the Mushroom using the soda pop pin cushion pattern and he went bananas. I now have to decide which characters to make. I've already made the green mushroom, red 'shroom and a goomba. Maybe a Koopa, dunno... New addition! - with hopes my first arigarumi critter!

Daughter (almost 4) - dress up purse with matching hair pins, faire/princess dress. I bought extra dress up goodies for her at the Dollar Tree yesterday! Wings, a couple pairs of shoes and a tiara.

Mom - crocheted scarf and 3 pairs of earrings

Dad - a lap quilt and something else to be determined

My coworkers - (I'm the dept head at work.) - I'm making felt ornaments for them. Maybe some kind of quick edible goodie...chocolate bark is a serious possibility.

My kids' teachers - I'm thinking I'll use the rest of my preserves or apple butter for them, but that means I have to fix a double batch so that I'll have some for us. Preserves and apple butter are done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boutiquepetite
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2009 12:49:56 PM »

So I have a question...what is everyone's opinion on this gift?  My MIL and SIL are hard for me to come up with right now.  I have little things but I thought about making a week's worth of freezer dinners.  Then they can just pull them out and toss them in the oven whenever they want.  I know its not an exciting ohhh ahhh gift to open, but....it is useful!  Opinions please! Smiley Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2009 01:26:37 PM »

As a super busy mom of 2, I would absolutely love that gift boutiquepetite! It's thoughtful and caring. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 17/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 12/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 14/28
How to Crochet a Sidesaddle Shell Stitch Part 5/6
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 10/28
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...