A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
800 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I take on the airplane without getting arrested?  (Read 1978 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babyjeebus
« on: June 22, 2009 12:35:27 PM »

Hi,

I'm finally going to Australia to see my sister! Not exactly looking forward to the 24 hour flight though so I was hoping to take something to occupy the time.

What can I take on the plane that won't get confiscated or me into trouble! I don't fancy jail in Abu Dhabi!  Tongue I've already got a clover yarn cutter but will I be ok with normal hooks?

I've posted this in knitting too 'cause I'm not bothered what I do as long as it's something to take my mind off the flying!

TIA
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009 02:14:28 PM »

Assuming you're flying from the US.

First, check with the FAA. Then check with your carrier. Assuming both say yes, get in writing from the carrier that you may bring those items.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

The website says you can carry a pair of scissors -metal and pointy that is 4" or less.

AH! Here it is : http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

You CAN NOT bring the circular cutter. Which is stupid, because the blade doesn't come out, but it's the government. Plastic or Bamboo according to the site is best. So buy a cheap set of plastic hooks.

Although I hate to tell 'em, but those can be weapons, too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009 03:08:15 PM »

Plastic crochet hooks and nail clippers (you can get tiny ones for $0.99 at the supermarket) are your best bet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
babyjeebus
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009 03:38:58 PM »

Excellent, thank you.

I forgot to mention that I'm flying out of the UK.

Has anyone flown and taken the clover cutter with them? http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=454/181.0
Was it ok or did you have problems?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009 03:51:27 PM »

I'm 90% sure those are prohibited.  There was a long discussion on plane-safe crafting tools in the knitting or needlework forum, and from what I remember several people got them through because the TSA agents assumed they were just pendants, but those whose cutters got inspected had them taken away.  You can try, but bring a self-addressed stamped envelope just in case.  TSA agents have the right to say no regardless of whether or not it's in the official list of prohibited/allowed items, so it's a toss up really.  You're best bet is really one of those tiny little travel size nail clippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
EssHaych
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009 05:18:27 PM »

I was wondering about what you could and couldn't take on board planes as I'm going away too soon. Think I'll stick to the plastic hooks! Grin
Thanks for the advice! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop: www.esshaych.etsy.c om
Blog: www.esshaych.blogsp ot.com
Wist: www.wists.com/EssHaych

SWAPS!
Little Visitor Round 12
Post Secrets 12

I've started collecting Postcards! If you would like to trade PM me! <3 Thankies!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009 12:34:54 PM »

Always always always check before you fly!  The rules change all the time. In Feb of this year mr.fantastic's sister flew from London, England to Calgary, Alberta, Canada and she wasn't allowed to bring her crochet with her in carry-on.

But again, these rules change all the time.  It depends on where you're coming from, where you're going, and who you're flying with.  And, as previously mentioned, the whim of the security staff at the airport.

If you find out from an official source that you can bring your hooks and things on board with you, be sure to tell the security people *before* your stuff goes through the x-ray that you have them.  It will save you a lot of trouble.

And if you're really worried about it, make sure you don't bring anything that you're not willing to part with.

A hint: when I was looking up the rules for domestic flights within Canada I found knitting needles and crochet hooks under "penetrating items".  That might speed things along for you as I sure didn't think to look there! (I ended up finding a way to get a full list and doing ctrl-f for "crochet".  Oy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009 07:02:46 PM »

This will sound funny but if you check your clover cutter it can be used as a pendant.  So wear it as a necklace, I doubt anyone is even going to notice it around your neck or know what it is, it will appear as an antique looking pendant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009 10:09:07 AM »

i don't think there'd be a problem but call the airline and check first
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
babyjeebus
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009 05:36:51 AM »

Thank you all so much  Smiley

I've had a look on the airline's website and I can't see anything apart from the usual 'no sharp items, blades' etc.

I'll still get in touch to check though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Felt with Crochet
How to Crochet a Christmas Scarf
How to Crochet Fab Faux Scarf
How to Crochet Candle Lace Covers
How to Crochet Beanie Hat
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...