A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earthy Fall Wedding!! Ideas?  (Read 21009 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raggamuffinchild
Raggamuffin Child

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2005 02:31:51 PM »

I'm getting married this October and I'm digging for some ideas.  The color of the bridesmaid dresses is burgundy.  The wedding is outside and I want to capitalize on the fall color idea. 

The Flowers:
I want fall colors, and nothing too formal, no roses, more on the wildflower side.  My invitations that I am making have a sunflower on them, but sunflowers are pretty big to include in a bouquet.  I also kind of like the look of dried flowers, but is that too dull and morbid for a wedding.  Suggestions?

The Dress:
I will most likely make a dress because I'm not finding anything that I really like.  The problem is that I can't find any sewing patterns in my style either.  I'm looking for something kind of hippie-ish.  Flowing and pretty (not frumpy) but not ultra fancy and shiny.  I also don't want it to look like a costume, like I am trying too hard to look like a hippie.  I have a pretty good picture of it in my head, I just can't describe it in words.  I've been to the public library to try to find bridal books from the 60s and 70s, but they don't have anything that far back.   Huh

The Decorations:
The setting of the ceremony is in my parents' back yard, which is big with lots of plants all around.  There will be an arch at the front, which we haven't found/bought yet.  Other than that, I don't have any real ideas for decorating the aisle, chairs, rest of the yard.
The location for the reception is in a building that looks like a barn.  Inside is a slate tile floor, wood walls and vaulted ceiling, and lantern style lighting.  We are kind of going for a fall harvest look, but we still want it to look nice, not too howdowny.   Any ideas about center pieces, head table decorations, food?

The Food:
We hired a vegetarian caterer, and he does all sorts of ethnic foods, so we might have a world sampling buffet.  I do have a kind of artistic idea for a wedding cake.   Smiley  There is a cake pan that I saw at Williams Sonoma that looks like a sunflower.  I was thinking that I would have several different people (parents, relatives, sisters, friends) make cakes of different flavors in those pans.  Then I would display all of the sunflower cakes in an attractive way on a dessert table, rather than having a traditional tiered cake. 

Any suggestions and ideas that anybody has would be great! 

If you had a fall wedding and want to share pictures, that would be great too!

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005 03:26:23 PM »

Ahh.. it sounds pretty already!  Wink 

For some reason.. I love fall leaves of all colors.. maybe if you have a flower girl, she could toss dried leaves.. or fabric leaves.. they are really inexpensive, or you could dry real ones yourselves.  I think it would beautiful to see her tossing leaves Wink

Autumn is all about rich, bold colors!  So I think ya might wanna go with natural hues all throughout...  Sooo.. if you pick up a fall leaf (or think of one..cause it's spring now)  Think of the palette on the leaf... burnt orange, gold, yellow-green, dark brown, fiery red, burgundy... Have you consider mums in any of your arrangements?  They are purrdiful crimsons, yellows, purples & mauve.  A nice warm combination...  Maybe wrap your bouquets in ribbons of complimenting color..or raffia even.

Invitations & centerpieces could also incorporate leaves or acorns.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005 04:05:11 PM »

OH MY GOODNESS.  I came back... wrote a horrendously long post.. an entire list of links I went & found.  Hit the wrong X and closed it Sad  Sigh.. I don't want to redo it all.. search Fall Wedding on Yahoo... and unique fall wedding cake.  Also,... Lycos.. search Multimedia.. the pictures.. and Fall Wedding, and fall wedding cake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
EmilyFlew

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005 07:03:41 PM »

I just went to a fall wedding and they had all fall leaves for decoration--tin pails (that you could get at the dollar store or Michaels) full of leaves hanging on the ends of all the rows of seats and fall leaves covering the centers of all the tables. Very pretty and eco-friendly and inexpensive.

Ask around at florists, or maybe at a local nature institute...I'm sure someone can make a pretty bouquet that isn't too stuffy or dull. Depending on where you live, you can use Indian Paintbrushes, poppies, or black-eyed susans for that wildflower look that's still polished and pretty.

The dress is tricky--try searching on the internet for vintage dress patterns. Or asking around at a local college costume design shop--they may have someone who'd like to design something for you for not too much money.

Good luck! Sounds lovely so far!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
kitchwitch
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005 07:12:18 PM »

You could use chrysanthemums. They come in a whole range of colors, including a gorgeous burgundy. They are also fairly inexpensive - at least here in central PA. If you have the space, you could get a wildflower seed mix and grow your flowers. I had calendulas and poppies blooming into Dec. last year. The are really easy to grow, need almost no care, and I got the seed mix at Wal-Mart.

For your dress - try the Elizabethan costuming page. The have all kinds of tutorials on making a basic chemise/shift. If you like the basic concept, the you can fancy up the design any way you please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005 07:16:59 PM »

this might be a little too hippy-ish, but if you want simplistic, maybe an apron dress style wedding dress? it's basically sleeveless, semi-full skirt of desired length, and backless.  why not describe you're ideal dress? do you want long sleeve, 3/4, sleeveless? how long a skirt? how straight or full? want a train? do you want a 1 piece or 2? do you want all one fabric, or a sheath with a lace overlay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guinthegoodwitch
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005 12:11:57 PM »

I had a fall wedding and i also uses burgandy as my main color. i used a lot of roses but i did all of my flowers except my bouquet in silk. We decorated our reception hall in lights and tulle. It turned out beautiful. I can post pics later if youreally want to see them. Oh heres another wounderful idea instead of a guest book you should have people sign and leave you messages on a memory board with picsofthe 2 of you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ParanoidEv
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005 12:17:36 PM »

The thing that pops in my mind is (brown) tulle with felt autumn leaves in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put your hay on the ground and your sexy legs in the air! You have the right to remain wheeking for pellets!
skyra

a fork is a fork of course

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005 08:56:23 PM »

It might be a little less formal than you are looking for, but we will be making garlands of leaves and maybe berries (my wedding is in the summer btw) for decorations.  For the tables we are using a white table cloth and then using burlap as a table runner and some mini garlands to interweave around other stuff.  For flowers, I am doing a very simple arrangement of 1-5 gerberas per vase, 3 vases per table.  Rather than candle holders, I am using canning jars with tea candles in them.  I want a simple, rustic, natural look to our wedding Smiley  Suits me and my bush boy to a T Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting to save the world...one magnet at a time!!
http://www.torridcraftaffair.etsy.com
ming
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005 12:20:28 PM »

You can have hollowed out pumpkins/squashes and carve the new name initials on them, and use them to hold lighted candles for table decorations. Kinda jack-o-laternish, but I'm sure beautiful with different kinds of gourds lighted up (this of course would work better towards dusk and later in the evening). Good luck  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: Hacking Art and Culture With F.A.T. Lab
Off Book: The Evolution of 8-Bit Art
Off Book: The Birth of the Animated GIF Medium
Off Book: Arts and Creative Projects in the Internet Age
Working with the New Basics Panel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...