A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BUDGET MEALS awesomeness!!!!!  (Read 6361 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , chicken , beef , casserole  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Applemint
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009 08:49:30 PM »

Yes & no. 

Frozen pre-chopped fruits & veggies are actually often cheaper here than whole fresh veggies, but the fresh pre-chopped are more expensive.  I bought a one pound bag of frozen chopped mango last weekend for $1.25 (sale), and my grocery stores usually have fresh mangos for $1.99 each...and they aren't one pound mangos.  Celery I find is cheaper to buy & chop myself.

They sell generic "Bisquick" that is actually very cheap & I generally buy mine on sale anyway.  But there are recipes out there for how to "make your own" Bisquick.  I like to do that since I prefer food from scratch anyway. 

For saving money, buying pre-shredded,diced,chopped ext. items are a no no. They do charge more for that.

Also box mixes such as biscuit mix or cake mix are a poor idea. They are charging you a ton for just for simple ingredients. It might feel like you're spending more in the first place, but a bag of flour is going to last you a lot longer than that box mix, and be a lot more versatile.

I didn't say frozen vs. fresh, I said pre-shredded. Buying a bag of pre-shredded carrot is more than just buying a carrot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009 05:40:01 AM »

Yes & no. 

Frozen pre-chopped fruits & veggies are actually often cheaper here than whole fresh veggies, but the fresh pre-chopped are more expensive.  I bought a one pound bag of frozen chopped mango last weekend for $1.25 (sale), and my grocery stores usually have fresh mangos for $1.99 each...and they aren't one pound mangos.  Celery I find is cheaper to buy & chop myself.

They sell generic "Bisquick" that is actually very cheap & I generally buy mine on sale anyway.  But there are recipes out there for how to "make your own" Bisquick.  I like to do that since I prefer food from scratch anyway. 

For saving money, buying pre-shredded,diced,chopped ext. items are a no no. They do charge more for that.

Also box mixes such as biscuit mix or cake mix are a poor idea. They are charging you a ton for just for simple ingredients. It might feel like you're spending more in the first place, but a bag of flour is going to last you a lot longer than that box mix, and be a lot more versatile.

I didn't say frozen vs. fresh, I said pre-shredded. Buying a bag of pre-shredded carrot is more than just buying a carrot.

A head of cabbage is pretty heavy, so I end up spending more to buy a head of cabbage priced by the pound than I do for a bag of shredded cabbage and carrots.  Yes, I get more cabbage for my money to buy it by the head, but more often than not it doesn't get used up and I end up throwing 1/4 to 1/2 of the head away. Which is actually more economical? I'd rather spend a little more per quantity to get what I'll actually use, that costs me less bottom dollar than to spend a little more, get a lot more, and let it go to waste.

That's just one example...  On the other hand, I *never* buy bisquick or other pre-made mixes since I prefer to make my own, but I'm a stay-at-home-mom, so I have the extra time to do things from scratch.  And it really does take a little more time to measure out 4 or 5 ingredients instead of just 1.

I'm guessing that for most people, bottom dollar isn't the only factor...time and convenience factor in too even when planning budget meals -- hey, it's still cheaper (and healthier!) than buying fast food!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
donniesgirl
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009 11:27:28 AM »

Time & convenience are a factor for me as well - I work.  I weigh that with my decisions about how much I'm willing to pay for convenience.  But since this is a thread about budget meals, I figure people can make their own decisions about that.  For time saving prep, I will pre-measure things like dry ingredients the night before.

I often save extra veggies I don't use in freezer bags to make stock every so often, so that I don't have to buy veggies separate for that.  We don't eat a lot of cabbage, but since it is just DH & I, we don't finish a bag or a whole head.  A bag of cabbage slaw costs more than a head where I shop, so I would still buy the head.  It is quite easy to stick chunks of cabbage & carrots in the food processor, though, to get what you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cowgirlz101
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009 03:06:13 PM »

thought all the recipes rocked so that's what i did...."this rocks!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
stargardener
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009 06:35:38 AM »

try the sweet & sour chicken!!!!  totally worth it!!!!  my kiddo loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Easy Quick Wallpaper in Photoshop Cs4
How to Change Colors on Objects in Photoshop Cs4
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 1/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 2/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 3/5
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...