A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BUDGET MEALS awesomeness!!!!!  (Read 7164 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , chicken , beef , casserole  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

guacaMolly
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009 08:58:13 PM »

This is a great idea for a thread, these recipes look amazing!

I have something to add, Tuna Patties with a creamy dill sauce that are sooo yummy. Adapted from the recipe from Carbquik and a recipe on allrecipes.com

1 6oz. can of tuna
1 egg
2tbs carbquik/bisquick
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp dill weed

Creamy Dill Sauce:
1/4 c. mayo
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp dill weed

Pretty easy, mix up the first 5 ingredients, separate into 4 patties and fry in 2 tbs olive/coconut oil. Cook until nice and brown on both sides. Mix up the creamy dill sauce, it gets better the longer it sits, so I like to do that first. Modifications: To suit my own preferences, I use half mayo and half plain Greek yogurt to lower the fat and give it less of a tangy mayo flavor. I also use more like 1 tsp of dill weed.

So easy, yummy, potentially low carb and budget friendly!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melonhead-7
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009 01:05:44 PM »

These recipes look yummy and may even fill up my son-in-law, the bottomless pit.

Stargardener, I LOVE your Fiestaware.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ellen in sunny south Florida
dellamae
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009 08:15:15 PM »

Here's a family favorite that is easy on money

Chicken Spaghetti (makes enough for an army)

1 whole chicken
1 pkg of thin spaghetti
2 cans of rotel tomatos as hot or mild as you like
1 normal sized block of velveeta (cubed)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
milk
salt and pepper
and any other of your favorite seasonings that go good with cheesy chicken

boil and debone the whole chicken add whatever seasonings you like to the water. (when done save some of the broth to cook the spaghetti in). set to the side.

boil and drain the spaghetti

(a little before deboning the chicken) in a large microwaveable bowl add rotel (you should drain one of the cans and keep the juice of the other.  It helps thin the cheese), the velveeta, both cans of soup, any seasonings you like and a splash or two of milk.  Microwave for 2 min then stir and repeat until the cheese is melted and a good saucey consistancy.  You may have to add more milk but be careful not to go overboard and make it too runny.  Its very much like cheese dip but with soup added and a little thinner.

once the chicken is done along with the spaghetti mix the three together and serve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009 03:20:15 AM »

We've been doing the Dave plan for just about 2 yrs and it has made a difference for us! Yeah, he is intense but his points are honest and straight to the point. I was skeptical at first, but I became a firm believer within a couple of months.

I have some budget friendly recipes as well that I'll share. I'll dig around for them and post some. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargardener
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009 06:37:24 PM »

thanks for the fiestaware Lovin'!!!  It sure is fun to eat off of! 
I love that this turning into a budget meal thread!  I can't wait to try all of these!  The tuna patties sound really good!

Who has MORE!!  I should post more of the ones that I have...hummm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

celticchrys
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009 09:52:55 AM »

Have any of you seen this series of videos on Youtube? "Depression Era Cooking"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMkW35BwK8

A guy filmed his grandmother talking about and cooking meals from the Depression.  These are things her family ate while she was growing up, and are quite budget friendly, and some look awfully yummy.  Definitely watch these if you're looking for ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargardener
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009 07:01:02 PM »

Does she crack you up or what!!!  I love those videos!  Worth a view if only for REAL history and not even cooking!  They made me wish I could have talked to my Grandparents like that. 

Thanks for putting up the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Applemint
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009 05:31:31 AM »

For saving money, buying pre-shredded,diced,chopped ext. items are a no no. They do charge more for that.

Also box mixes such as biscuit mix or cake mix are a poor idea. They are charging you a ton for just for simple ingredients. It might feel like you're spending more in the first place, but a bag of flour is going to last you a lot longer than that box mix, and be a lot more versatile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009 07:57:18 AM »

Yes & no. 

Frozen pre-chopped fruits & veggies are actually often cheaper here than whole fresh veggies, but the fresh pre-chopped are more expensive.  I bought a one pound bag of frozen chopped mango last weekend for $1.25 (sale), and my grocery stores usually have fresh mangos for $1.99 each...and they aren't one pound mangos.  Celery I find is cheaper to buy & chop myself.

They sell generic "Bisquick" that is actually very cheap & I generally buy mine on sale anyway.  But there are recipes out there for how to "make your own" Bisquick.  I like to do that since I prefer food from scratch anyway. 

For saving money, buying pre-shredded,diced,chopped ext. items are a no no. They do charge more for that.

Also box mixes such as biscuit mix or cake mix are a poor idea. They are charging you a ton for just for simple ingredients. It might feel like you're spending more in the first place, but a bag of flour is going to last you a lot longer than that box mix, and be a lot more versatile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargardener
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009 10:26:49 AM »

frozen fruit and veggies are often cheaper and more healthy because its frozen right away and then shipped...I have heard if you pick up a bag of frozen fruit or veggies make sure the item has a loose feel, if its like a brick it probably has thawed and refrozen. 

But when you are looking for a healthy alternative to fresh nothing wrong with these options.

For me, a full time work outside the house mom, I have to weigh convenience with what is healthy.  Sometimes it just works out better to pay a few extra cents per serving and get to spend that time with my family.  Its a balance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
9 Beauty Hacks You Have to Try
How to Get Faux-Looking Lashes with Baby Powder
VF COLLECTIONS: Blumarine Spring/Summer 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
VF COLLECTIONS: Chado Ralph Rucci Autumn/Winter 2011-2012 -NYFW
VF NEWS: Ralph Rucci Spring/Summer 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...