A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Lovely leafy spring bag [Text Only]  (Read 210026 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laurasaurus
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2005 02:22:57 PM »

Boy this came out bigger than I meant it to!  I kinda like it, though.  I started this bag months ago and just got around to picking out the fabric for the bottom section, and finally finished it last night.  

I lined it very quickly so the inside isn't that pretty, but it doesn't really bother me.  It's got a pocket inside for my pens and stuff.  It's got a lot of interfacing in the handles and in the body of the bag, so it's very stiff.  I wish I had a warehouse full of nothing but interfacing, I love it so much Smiley  That weird looking thing on the right side near the handles is just a brooch pinned on.

TUTORIAL GOODNESS::
Finally the tutorial!  If this seems sort of familiar, it's because it is.  I used my same tutorial for my pleated clutch purse, but modified it a bit to fit this bag.  Good luck, all!

there are links below pics incase they are pixilated or squished

1.  Cut one rectangle of your fabric and one of your lining (set aside the lining fabric for later).  The measurements for my bag are about 21 at its widest point and about 9 tall for the main body.  The seam allowances are sort of included, I don't really remember...it will work out I promise Wink

2.  To start, do the pleating.  To do this, sew a channel with a ribbon inside on both 21" sides.  To rouche/pleat, scrunch the fabric on the ribbons.  Sew flat along top to secure pleats, and pull out your ribbon.  This will seem to make your fabric rectangle get all wonky and miss-shaped in the middle area between the two 21 sides, but it will work out.  Iron flat

3.  With right sides together, fold your rectangle in half lengthwise

4.  With right sides still together, sew the two side seams and along the bottom, rounding the corners.  Make them at a slight angle as shown.  Turn right side out.

5.  Set that section of your bag aside, and start working on the lining.  (Now is the time to attach interfacing if you want your bag to be stifferif you do want to, just attach it to the wrong side of your lining.)  Now, with right sides together, fold your lining rectangle in half lengthwise as shown, and sew a curved line to match the bottom seam you just made on the bag.  This is so that when your lining goes in your bag, it will fit snugly into the curve of the bottom.  Cut off the excess fabric in the seam allowances.

6.  To make the side seams of the lining, place your lining pouch over the fabric pouch, and match up where you should sew so that your lining fits snugly into your bag.  Sew them at the same angle as the side seams of the outer fabric.  Trim extra seam allowances.  Leave your lining with right sides together, but turn the outer fabric right side out.

7.  Put the lining inside the outer fabric.  Your lining will probably end up being taller than the bag fabric, which is good.  Fold the lining down as shown, making the fold slightly above the top of the outer fabric edges (this will make sense later).  Sew the lining and the outer fabric together at the top.

8.  Set the whole thing aside and begin working on the handles across the top.  To do this, cut out four equal rectangles out of your handle fabric in the size shown (I would remeasure the top of you bag to make sure your handles will be the same length, just incase).

9.  If you want to use interfacing to make a nice, stiff handle, attach the interfacing to the wrong side of these rectangles now.  Cut out four handle shapes rectangles.  (I will put up a link to a life-size handle pattern for you to trace.)

10.  With right sides together, sew a seam following the bottom curve closely.  Also sew the two short sides.  Turn right side out.

11.  Now very carefully fold in the top part of the handles and sew in place (this can be tricky, you might want to clip you curves to make it easier).  Do the same to the round hole in the middle.  Now this handle is complete.  

12.  Repeat with your other two rectangles for the second handle.

13.  Now its time to attach the handles to the bag/lining.  Pin one handle to the bag and make sure its exactly where you want it.  Also make sure that the handle lines up with the top of the lining.  Sew the handle and lining together neatly.  

14.  Repeat with other handle.

15.  Done!

Here is an example of the bag from another user - jungrrl

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 08:36:41 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Added picture to first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi.
yogirly87
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005 02:35:52 PM »

that is one awesome purse!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luv ya!!!

*~kels~*
neverendingjourney
I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return please tell me to wait. Thank you!

If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005 02:41:37 PM »

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo') i love it!! and your right it being so big is SUPER great!!!
Perty-FUL!!
Darla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day & may their arms be too short to scratch
Collgrtlnd
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005 02:56:50 PM »

oh my god. that is the most gorgeous bag i have EVER seen.

im in love.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinafish
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005 03:45:54 PM »

absolutely beautiful!!!! i wanna make something like that!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005 04:05:31 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked MI GOD!!!!! thats hot! , I wana make one ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
princess*of*capri
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005 04:30:37 PM »

I love that bag!!! I like all of your work, you are so talented. thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
skirt
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005 04:39:44 PM »

ooooh, i love it!
you did a fantastic job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane blonde

handmade clothing & accessories!
Shotgun_Bettie

Yup I'm Back..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005 06:08:48 PM »

I'm just going to say what everybody else said.. I love that bag.. wow. Imagine one like it in polka dots? Oooh.. !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting O.C.D at it's finest...
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005 06:15:12 PM »

oh my goodness. i must have that. you have got to show us how to do that.  Smiley please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize a T-Shirt
How to Make Ribbon Rose Toppers for the Holidays
Turning Gingerbread Cookies Into Tree Ornaments
How to Make a Photo Memory Box
How to Make Leaf Print Holiday Wrapping Paper
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...