A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rolled handles--how do I make them?  (Read 2686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewjayded
« on: January 17, 2009 03:01:13 PM »

Would I make a rolled handle/strap the same way I make a regular strap and just fold and sew the edges together for the rolled part?  or is something stuffed inside?  I like the look of them, but it seems like just folding them in half would look kind of shoddy because they would end up creasing.  Any advice or tute links would be greatly appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009 03:35:35 PM »

I don't understand what you mean by rolled. I think there are generally 3 ways to make straps (there are obviously more but these are basic). You can sew both sides and turn them, fold them, or fill them with cording.

I think you mentioned folding them in half? You'd have to actually fold it into fourths. So if you want straps that are an inch wide, cut your strap to be four inches wide. Fold in half and press a crease in the center, open it up then fold each raw edge in towards the center and press again. Fold in the center so that your raw edges are concealed and press again. Topstitch on both sides. This actually makes a really sturdy strap since it has four layers. If you are just using cotton, you will have to use interfacing so it doesn't crease. I use this method for all of my straps because it's the easiest and it looks great when you use canvas.

You can also use upholstery cording to make a round strap, I think that's what you're talking about. You can make your strap inside out, turn it, then feed the cording through to fill it up. Your seams have to be very precise though for it to look good, and it's an awfully narrow strap to turn. I usually press my raw edges to the inside, put the cording in, and use my zipper foot to get really close to the cording. You have a little seam puckering out, which I turn to the inside. I think that's how they are on storebought purses though.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
sewjayded
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009 08:34:22 PM »

Not exactly what I was talking about.  Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing.  I'm trying to find a picture of one now.  Basically you take a "finished" strap and most of it would be folded in half leaving flat tabs at the ends for stitching it to the bag.

Ah, finally after 30 minutes of searching, the example I was looking for http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=274059.0  It does look like they are just folded in half and sewn, but I'd like it more rounded, any ideas on that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thelostboys
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009 03:11:09 PM »

why not fold the handles, sew and then fill with cording so it will hold its shape thats what i always do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009 04:36:54 PM »

Oh ok I see what you are talking about. That's what I do with cording as well, you'd just want your raw edges hidden so they don't show on the tabs, so yeah I guess you'd have to have a finished strap that you just fold over the cording and sew it closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
frogangel
I'm willing to do a personal swap! :-)

"Paint it black with a splash of HOT pink!"

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009 07:17:53 PM »

I don't know if this will help you, but this is how I always do it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fqgfG5wGOnY/SXPvviVaeYI/AAAAAAAAADY/yCbqaSuBYuA/s1600-h/handle.jpg

Sorry about the crappy images, just did a quick layout on my paint program. Hope this helps you out, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewjayded
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009 09:00:02 AM »

Thank you thank you, that's what I was asking.  And especially thank you frogangel for taking the time to draw that up!!!  You are awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogangel
I'm willing to do a personal swap! :-)

"Paint it black with a splash of HOT pink!"

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009 08:16:32 PM »

No problem, I know what it's like to be told how to it, but you don't understand, because you weren't shown. I'm just glad it helped you out.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IowaReilly
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010 09:57:56 PM »

Well this just made my day, I have been trying to duplicate by trial and error and this was so easy to follow. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010 08:42:46 AM »

I haven't made them, but from what I know I would get some thick cotton cording (the dimension you want your handles). I would sew a tube (2 rectangles together) & insert the cording. The size would depend on how thick your cording is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Magic Sidewalk Chalk Paint
Learn How to Make No Sew Pillows
How to Make a Summer Shell Centerpiece
Beach-Inspired Paperweight Crafts
How to Make a Waterproof Picnic Blanket
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...