A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the sew mama sew top - for kids  (Read 1979 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori , tie_dye  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: June 21, 2009 08:09:32 PM »

took the new sew mama sew summer top and modified it for my daughter.  It turned out allright other than I can't do sewed down pleats worth a darn. And I sewed the bodice part on backwards, but oh well, its not too noticeable. 
Made out of 0.25m of tie dye with silver swirls & flowers on it that I picked up about a million months ago for "something".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunx
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009 09:19:22 PM »

I think it's adorable and she looks quite happy to be wearing it and that's what counts! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live. Laugh. Love.
mega54
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009 09:27:16 PM »

it looks nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009 05:51:24 AM »

Thanks.  I think we are both pretty happy with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deeredone2
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009 07:00:14 PM »

That is so stinkin' cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
devotedabbler
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009 12:41:18 PM »

That is really cute. What I good idea and I like the fabric. I wanted to make the top after I saw the SMS tute but was pretty sure it would not be flattering on me. If you are over a  certain cup size these kind of cute tops are hard to pull off (that is a complaint NOT a brag) and end up looking like maternity tops.  This is a great compromise to make the cute pattern work for a child.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May our efforts reflect our values.
May the variety in life bring us joy.
May we seek to inspire not compete.
May we have happy hearts.
twylag
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009 07:21:10 PM »

If you are over a  certain cup size these kind of cute tops are hard to pull off (that is a complaint NOT a brag) and end up looking like maternity tops.  This is a great compromise to make the cute pattern work for a child.
Tell me about it.  I wanted to make this for myself, but I just *knew* it would not flatter my umm ... over-abundance.  Glad you like the modification.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009 07:10:15 AM »

That is so cute!  I've wanted to try this tutorial too, but haven't because of the things you and Devoteddabbler mentioned.   Embarrassed  I have decided to try it for my girlies, though, but am not sure what modifications to make.  Did you make the yoke and pleats smaller or keep them the recommended size?  I guess I should just start cutting and see how it goes, but I'd rather someone else make the mistakes first.   Tongue 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chiemi
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009 09:43:29 AM »

It's totally cute!  So is the model!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009 05:43:37 AM »

Did you make the yoke and pleats smaller or keep them the recommended size?  I guess I should just start cutting and see how it goes, but I'd rather someone else make the mistakes first.   Tongue 
I made the basic yoke part the same as the instructions and then found it was too big around by a smidge so I nipped it off until it was about right.  But that will probably happen for everyone.  The trapezoids I only made them about 3 inches bigger because I didn't have enough fabric to do six and I think it worked out better at three anyways.  For the pleats I took the yoke/bodice bit and made the pleats fit that rather than trying to make them to a certain size.
Thanks for your interest, hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Flip Cup
How to Play Speed Quarters
How to Play Quarters
How to Play Thumper
How to Move Original Music to MySpace
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...