A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,463
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Origami Lucky Stars standing in as pixels  (Read 19163 times)
Tags for this thread: origami , featured_project , star , pixel , template , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sarcastra
« on: June 21, 2009 04:05:46 PM »

First entry on the papercraft boards.  Hi all.  
A few months ago, I saw a video on the web about making these lucky stars.  They are a great, small craft to do while watching movies or traveling on planes (which I do a lot for work) or car rides.  After I'd piled up a couple hundred, I decided I should do something with them.  I'm always looking for new banners for my blog, so I figured this would work.  

This is the finished banner, about 1120 completed stars.  I made lots more, but I didn't want any patterned papers or too many pastels, so just the bright, plain ones made it into the banner.

I tried to make myself a graph to work from in Photoshop, but one cannot select both custom colors AND custom gradients, so I gave up and just used it to make a general idea of the slashes of color.  I drew out a grid of .75" squares, punched holes in each grid corner and used that as a stencil template to put positioning Xs on a foam board I spray painted with primer.  Then, it was just placing stars where they belonged.  In the above photo, you can see me putting down the text star pixels.

Close-up of the A.
I started the placement by hand, then by dropping them and pushing them into place, but ended up using chopsticks mostly.  Got lots of chopstick practice in!  The little star arms acted like gears - if you turned one the arms would turn the arms of the neighboring stars and rows and colums would start moving along!  Very frustrating when you only want to align one.  Again, chopsticks FTW.

Finished, mostly.  I did a bit of alignment and a few color swapouts right after this photo.  It covered my whole dining table.

The husband was kind enough to climb all over our dining room to get shots of the enormous thing.

I love how they all looked like a colorful star army, lined up in ranks.

Once it was fully photographed - the demolition!  Felt great - just like making snow angels in the first pristine snow of winter.

After playing in the pile of stars for a while, I sorted them back into their plastic baggie by color.  That way, I can use them again sometime for whatever reason might come up.

I was recently in the Crafty Detective Swap; TracyinNH made me this:

She saw my blog banner of stars and used it as a guide for this cross stitched bookmark.  Very cool!  I don't think I can use it as a bookmark though.  I might have to frame it.

Thanks for looking and letting me share!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009 04:12:33 PM by Sarcastra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009 04:11:19 PM »

That is amazing! Looks like tons and tons of hours of work. Do you remember where you saw the video on how to make the stars? They are really cool looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarcastra
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009 04:17:28 PM »

That is amazing! Looks like tons and tons of hours of work. Do you remember where you saw the video on how to make the stars? They are really cool looking.

Yes!  There are a number on the internets, but I liked this one at Fold Something the best:
http://foldsomething.com/origami-videos/origami-stars/how-to-make-an-origami-lucky-star/

I used half inch wide strips for all mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ineedart
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009 04:22:54 PM »

Uh, you may be 'too lazy to be evil,' but my goodness! Those stars look like they took a LOT of work! I bet it will look awesome on your blog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.   ~Pablo Picasso

Looking for small but interesting scraps to make I Spy Quilts for my kids...will swap other fabric or ??
dishwasher182
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009 05:25:18 PM »

WOW! thats really awesome!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009 05:26:35 PM »

awesome!  I should do something with the thousands I have lying around my house (during one summer of unemployment, I folded 35 JARS worth of stars...)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009 08:05:18 PM »

I've been mostly using y stash of stars as stuffing when I mail thinks, but this is a great use!

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009 05:00:43 AM »

that's absolutely spectacular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
Sinjah
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009 06:16:15 AM »

That is absolutely brilliant!!! I had never thought to use these stars for something like this! Wow, I am completely blown away, I can't even imagine how much work that was!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap? Yes please! Looking for jersey scraps.
Will craft for yarn.

The crafting blog
The pinterest
The wists
LostInOz
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009 07:56:43 AM »

Wow!! That's so much work, but so worth it. I can only imagine how great it'd be to demolish it once you'd put it together and taken pictures!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alan Cumming Discusses His Macbeth Adaptation
Mark Henshaw on His Debut Thriller, "Red Cell"
The Forsaken Book Trailer
When You Were Mine Book Trailer
Owen West on Being an American Adviser to the Iraqi Army
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...