A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Rd 13, Chunky Pages! closed, send July 25!  (Read 13887 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2009 08:47:25 PM »

Wind, I agree with you completely.  I am frequently appalled by the clothing that is available for young children.  I remember shopping for Easter shoes about three years ago, and all I could find in a size for my 3-year-old had heels so high they looked like tiny hooker shoes.  Don't even get me started on the subject of bathing suits!  I do all that I can to make sure that my daughter looks nice, cute and completely asexual, and I hope to keep it that way as long as I can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2009 04:32:32 AM »

what an interesting turn this conversation has taken!

hiya nataluna - long time no see!

Kerallyn - excellent reply to that individual! You used tact, good grammar and proper sentence structure which she did not - always a plus if you ask me when you are discussing any issue having to do with students and schools. You also made valid points about how children perceive rules and regulations!

And while wind and nataluna and others are totally right about the shorts girls would choose for themselves given an option and no parental interference (as in the football term of tackling them to the ground and thwacking them for not wearing something decent), I understand that the shorts that are available for schools with uniforms are much more unisex as Radmom showed us. By the way - would LOVE to see guys wearing kilts to school, and am waiting for a comeback of the skort, only making it available for either sex as a uniform option!

Public schools with dress codes spend a lot of time enforcing the dress codes - and I often think that just the time saved from that would increase time spent teaching/learning by a hefty margin so I think uniforms are a good idea even in public schools, but I am in the minority as most parents around here automatically think "cost of uniform + cost of dress clothes + cost of after school clothes = too much $$$" without realizing they will be buying all those varieties of clothes anyway - and the only ones that really have a valid reason for not wanting to follow through with a uniform policy would be the ones that buy their child's clothing at thrift stores because that is the only place they can afford to shop.

Especially if the uniform gets changed every year as then they will never trickle down into the thrift stores as the current version becomes outdated (we have several Catholic schools, a Baptist school and a Lutheran school that all have uniforms - not sure which it is but one changes the color palette almost yearly).

all the same - I loved your response Kerallyn and I hope that your daughter can wear shorts soon!

and I too am appalled by the trend towards making little children sexy and that high school girls seem driven to torture boys with their sexuality...

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
Radmom
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2009 07:05:30 AM »

Funny, you said skort for either sex Ronda. My son and I were continuing this debate on kilts vs. skirts being allowed. I told him, one thing is society seems to not "understand" kilts. Two, I think they could be worried about the going Clad part. He said, I would not go Clad under the kilt mom during school. LOL
Which, I properly replied," Not during normal hours either, I am so not ready to be a grandmother!" I know, I am horrible!!!! But, I know where his gifts were given. LOLOLOL.
(If anyone wants to hear a funny story about my son...ask and I will tell...he is VERY used to me telling the story!)

ANYWHOOOOOO! He said, "I'd agree to a skort style kilt if they'd allow it." I told him to approach the principle on the topic.

Oh and Edel as you know in America it is not common for a man to want to willingly wear a kilt. This house here...I pick on well! My husband= BOY  and my son= MAN on this topic. I asked Mark Sr. once if he'd wear a kilt and his goth "my name is the name of evillllllll'' tough guy friend...both said, hell no. My son, who is 17 in August, said, "You guys are a bunch of pansies, got no bits and bobbles down there, eh?" Then he stood up and announced " I am man enough, and as mother always points out for a laugh, I HAVE BRASS BITS AND BOBBLES, and would gladly wear one."

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2009 07:43:12 AM »

Hahahaha! Radmom, I love that your son is okay with you discussing his bits for your amusement. Cheesy My brother would have crawled underneath a rock and dropped dead if my mom had mentioned him naked, much less his bits, in front of anyone!

As for kilts, I love them! When we got married DH wore a kilt as did all his groomsmen. Only DH and his friend Steve went proper and Clad. The other guys had boxers on underneath. Let me say, clashing plaids are pretty horrendous! Yes, we ladies kilt checked...  Roll Eyes

I also have to agree with the over sexing of teens and young girls being disgusting, although really not terribly new. Just the age range is getting more and more ludicrous. I graduated with a fair number of girls who were all about push up bras that pushed their shirts to the point of bursting and shorts (and skirts!) with cheeks hanging out. I was a size 5 in high school (i'm double that now..) and wore tank tops, t shirts and jeans pretty much consistently. I didn't want guys oggling me and besides all that, my parents would have never ever let me out of the house looking like some sort of hussie.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS

« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2009 10:54:07 AM »

Radmom - ROFLMAO for the Brass Bits and Bobbles, LOL!

I think I won't ask my hubby to go anywhere in a kilt - he always runs commando and likes hanging around the house in a towel WAY too much, LOL! At his age he would forget and end up hanging out there somewhere scratching his bits and bobbles - which would not be a pretty sight at his age, LOL!

my kids are used to me talking about sex and bits and bobbles and what nots and annoying them and all their friends and companions - but dang it all, I don't need grandkids from most of them as yet, or maybe ever, and as far as I am concerned education is the best form of prevention!

on a swap related note - spent yesterday prepping chunky pages and have some half done...

glued myself to the table using the quick dry stuff so went back to regular tacky glue with hopes that I won't do that again...  Roll Eyes

drat - now I want to make a brass bits and bobbles chunky page

I shall resist that urge (I hope)  Grin

Ronda
blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Brightest Blessings!
Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2009 11:05:16 AM »

LOL, brass bits and bobbles has me cracking up!  My husband wears a kilt to the ren fair, but I'd love to get him something more appropriate to the real world one of these days.  I think he might even wear it in the right situation.  There's a guy who works at a nearby Barnes and Noble who wears a kilt to work, and I love it.  Of course, it really does help when there's a nice pair of calves involved  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
Windoverireland

Any man can lose his hat in a fairy-wind.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2009 11:45:42 AM »

I love the cultural innuendos of kilts. Manly men but ask the wrong bunch - try a latino - and boy do they freak. My husband said several colorful things and told me you all (myself included) were nuts! and not the bits and bobbles type either LOL

I love skorts - modest and yet...

I still think that uniforms need not be the traditional Catholic school version. I have proposed jeans, sneaks and solid colored T-shirts. Many inner city schools have instituted the same and are finding it a plus. Rural farming kids would benefit too i think. There are so many ways to discriminate, but I think we can eliminate many of them.
I'm seen as old fashioned and many of the girls and guys don't like it when I comment on inappropriate clothing. I'm very straight forward: "pull up your top, pull up your pants, sit with your legs closed, etc." But I'm not always popular - oh well!:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RondaS

« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2009 01:28:55 PM »

most of the schools here that have uniforms go with either black or khaki pants or skirts and then white tops (button up or polo style) or sometimes pastel tops - with a belt and tucked in

the Baptist school is a K to 12 and it is the strictest with a black pants and white dress top all year round and they have a 12 month extended school year, with longer breaks for holidays than most of the schools but never more than a couple weeks at a time - a friend of mine teaches there - they have great results too, a couple of years ago 4 juniors got perfect scores on the SATs all at the same time (they were investigated for impropriety  Undecided and it made the news here)

but they also have air conditioning so don't really need shorts or skirts, LOL!

I wonder if we all had air conditioning would that improve everyones test scores?

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
RondaS

« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2009 01:30:10 PM »

I still can't get the brass bits and bobbles off my mind...

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2009 04:26:36 PM »

my dh has lovely knees, that's why i was so happy he wanted a kilt.  now i have to figure out how to drag him to a renfaire so he will actually wear it out somewhere.  he won't go to celtic festival because he thinks hispanics won't be welcome there... possibly true, at least here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kick it Off #3-Soft Focus & Screening
Kick it Off #4 - Setting Type Part 1
Digital Makeup - Lenoir Lashes - Part 3
Rembrandt Lighting in Photoshop
More Hair Stuff for Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...