A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog hiking backpack - tutorial with pics  (Read 66499 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , dog_backpack , tutorial , holiday_gifts_for_pets , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebeatcowboy

what doesn't kill us makes us stranger...

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009 09:51:53 PM »

I've learned that I'm way more likely to exercise if I have some company while I do it, so to that end I've started taking my dog Jeff with me when I run intervals in the park by my house.  Some things I learned from our first run: 1) Jeff gets tired and could use a drink after about 20 minutes, 2) there are no spigots, water fountains or trash cans for miles, apparently, and 3) it is no fun to run while holding a bag of poop (or two).

Hence the doggie backpack.  This is meant for light use, carrying some bags/water/full poop bags until they can be disposed of, and for no more than an hour at a time (because honestly, I can't last that long either).  It has a handle for easy placement upon the dog's back, and a padded chest strap.  I added a pad to the girth strap after I took these pictures.

Size: Jeff is medium-sized, about 55 lbs.  He measured about 28" around at the chest, behind the forelegs, and about 18" across the front of the chest to the point above his elbows.

YOU WILL NEED:
About 1/2 yard or so of fabric (I used camo duck cloth, but if you want something more durable, I would try a ripstop nylon)
1" nylon webbing, about a yard and change
Two 9" zippers (I used 7" because that's what I had)
Two plastic buckles for 1" webbing
Scrap batting (I used fleece, again out of convenience)
A lighter or match, to melt the cut ends of the nylon webbing

All seam allowances are 1/2" unless otherwise noted.

SADDLE BASE
Cut two rectangles 21" x 9.5" and curve the corners.  Pin right sides together.

Sew around the outside, leaving a small opening.  Turn inside out and fold the edges under in the opening.  Press.

Sew the opening shut close to the edge (if you're extra special, hand sew the opening shut to hide the stitches).  Top stitch 1/4" in from the edge.

POCKET
(Instructions are for one pocket, repeat for the second pocket.)
Cut one rectangle 8.5" W x 10.5" H (A), and one 10.5" W x 7.5" H (B).

Fold (B) in half width-wise and mark 1.5" from fold on top and bottom, both sides.  Lay flat.

Fold between the marks and press.  Fold each pressed line in towards center about 1/2" to create a box pleat.  (B) should now be the same width as (A).  Pin in place.

Baste the pleats in place.

Pin the zipper face down along the edge of (A).  Sew.

Flip the zipper back and place so zipper and (A) are face down on (B).

Pin and stitch in place.

Open the layers and press the seam allowance away from the zipper.

Top stitch.

Open the zipper halfway and fold the pocket in half, right sides in, so free edges are aligned.  Pin in place.  Stitch around the sides and bottom.

Pull the layers apart so that two folds run at 45 degrees from the corner.  Stitch across these layers, perpendicular to the bottom seam.  Clip the corner (not pictured).

Repeat for the opposite side.

Turn inside out and press.  Repeat for second pocket.

Align the bottom edges of the pockets with the bottom of the saddle base.  Pin in place by the top edge.  Stitch across the top edge.  (I did a double line of stitching for extra strength.)

HANDLE
Cut a length of nylon webbing slightly longer than the width of the saddle base.  Melt the ends with the lighter.  Pin in place along the midline.

Stitch the ends in place using an "X in the box" stitching line (Do this every time you tack down the end of a strap).

PADDED CHEST STRAP
Cut a rectangle 14" L x 3.5" W, two from fabric, one from batting/padding/fleece. Curve the corners to create an oblong shape.  Cut a rectangle 12.5" x 3.5" from fabric.

Flip edges under on the rectangle, press and stitch. 

Pin in place centered on one of the oblongs, both right sides up.

Baste across the long edges (not pictured).  Place a length of the 1" nylon webbing lengthwise along the center of the oblong.  This will be used as a guide for stitching the strap channel.

Stitch down the length of the webbing creating a channel.  Stitch as close to the webbing as you can manage without stitching over it.

Stitch on both sides of the webbing.  Your channel should look like this.

Lay the three pieces in the following order: batting, plain oblong right side up, channel oblong right side down.

Pin in place.

Stitch around the outside, leaving a small opening (not too small, otherwise it's a pain in the rear to turn inside out).

Turn...

...press, and stitch the opening closed.  Topstitch 1/4" in from the edge.

STRAPS
Flip the pockets up.  Place the chest buckle about 3.5" above the bottom edge, and in far enough so the whole buckle lays on the saddle base.  Mark with a pin.  Cut a 3" length of webbing, fuse ends, and tack down female end of the buckle, aligning the edge of the buckle with your pin.

Slip the chest pad onto the webbing.  Mark the corresponding spot on the opposite side of the saddle base.  At this point, check the fit on your dog!  Trim the webbing and tack down the end.  It's always better to leave a little extra and trim the excess later.

Align the girth buckle perpendicular to the chest buckle, about 3" in from the posterior edge.  Tack down in the same manner as the chest strap.  Find the corresponding point on the opposite side of the saddle base.  Tack down the edge of the girth strap.

Check the fit, trim the end of the girth strap, and buckle.  Tada!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Molly.Connelly
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009 09:58:44 PM »

not only is this an amazing idea but you have to have THE most adorable dog on the planet. I really just wanna hug him he's so darn cute  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009 10:14:10 PM »

That looks like an amazing backpack, great job!
And Jeff is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beeclef

The crafter formerly known as Bongirl5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009 10:31:46 PM »

You so completely rock, it brings new meaning to the word "rock".  I have two huskies and a sheltie, and the huskies definitely need a more productive walk, if you know what I mean.  I can't believe you made this! It looks so totally professional, I'm completely impressed. And not only that, but you made a tutorial! You're my new hero. Seriously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wonderfully Awkward - my blog http://www.bclef.com
Quasi_one
Life with Jane

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009 10:41:45 PM »

Very cool, my nanna could use one of these but her dog is so tiny!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is like the mail, sometimes you just don't get it!

Once and awhile, in the middle of an ordinary lifetime, love gives us a miracle.

My wists ->  http://www.wists.com/BirdsofaFeather
My WIP Blog -> http://lifewithjane.net
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009 11:48:00 PM »

That is brilliant! You're making your dog carry his own poop! It's very well made, great tutorial, and it looks very comfy on your (adorable) dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
roccstarr75
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009 02:09:43 AM »

That is brilliant! You're making your dog carry his own poop! It's very well made, great tutorial, and it looks very comfy on your (adorable) dog.

I was totally gonna say this!!  I saw a cartoon or something somewhere once that said, "If you came down from another planet and you saw two creatures walking together, and one made a poop and the other picked it up and carried it for him, who would yousay was in charge!?!"

Also, this is really neat.  Its not an original idea, of course, but your design is very well executed.  Very simple yet so functional, and looks comfy too (when not weighed down with poops!).  I would like to say I will be using your awesome tute to make some, but one of my dogs would fit in a pocket, and while the other is a little bigger, but she wouldn't be able to carry the weight of the backpack,  much less with anything in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
variableenigma
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009 05:57:16 AM »

Cool! Thanks for the tutorial! (Someday when I get to have a dog, I'm gonna want one of these for sure!)

btw, I want your dog, lol. I love his attitude, he looks so relaxed- I bet he's fun to play with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bcgrote

Why doesn't evolution work with embroidery kits?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009 07:00:23 PM »

Really nice work! And THANKS for the tute, I will need one of these when I get my doggie!

It IS great to have a pal to exercise with, and remember, when the dog rehydrates, you should too!   Cheesy

Jeff is a happy cute dog, and I must say he is in GREAT shape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If your site doesn't support Firefox, Firefox users won't support your site!
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009 03:52:29 PM »

What a great idea!  Thanks for the tutorial. 

It's like "well, buddy, if you're gonna poop... YOU carry it!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Harriet Evans on the Book That Changed Her Life
War of the Whales
Ian Gold on on the Book That Changed His Life
Joel Gold on the Book That Changed His Life
Nina Sankovitch on the Book That Changed Her Life
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...