A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A box of boxes (photo chubby)  (Read 981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cupcakesorbet

I like pretty things

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009 12:07:02 PM »

I did this for my A Level art exam, the brief was boxes inspired by Joseph Cornell. I hadn't heard of him before doing this project, but you shoud check him out cause his work is awesome! I was so inspired doing this project!
The exam its self was 15 hours Shocked spread out over 3 days, in that time I constructed all the little boxes (from cardboard) and glued them all in, painted/ papered all the boxes and stuck in the objects. It doesn't sound like a lot but it did take up all the time!
The stuff is all things I had at home already. The rusty old pocket watch my mum found in the mud when going for a walk, and I got the music sheets and old map from charity shops. All the photos were cut from old National Geographic magazines.
Of course, as I was being marked on this I had to make up some deep and meaningful bullshoot (despite the fact that I chose the objects mearly because they looked pretty together Grin), so I just make some crap up about it representing man's relationship with nature; they lapped it all up, hehe!
Whole thing:

Top left, you can't see it in the big picture because of the reflection. A bullet thing and a fuse:

This is one of my favorite boxes, wooden toy house and tiny jar of tiny shells found on holiday. The background is an old map, the colours on it are really nice:

Photo of a fly-thing, and an actual fishing fly hanging from a thread, which the glass fronted box it's in origionaly contained. It had been hanging around the art block  for the whole 7 years I have been at that school, I think my teacher got it from a car boot sale, but she was happy for me to use it:

This one is my mum's favorite, my friend gave me the broken china, which she dug out of her garden:

This is a little cactus in a plastic dome, which I bought as a little key charm thing, but it sadly died. I love the background on this one, it was actually a car advert:

A pretty pheasant feather, and good old Darwin. At the top of the feather box it says "with graceful movement" which was part of the music sheet already, I thought it suited the feather well:

This box is lined with silver paper, and I glued the marble onto the shell. it has annother fishing fly, and I put some celophane stuff that I found in the storeroom over it. It was ment to look like underwater, but I'm not so sure about it:

The old watch and a background I painted, I wanted to support the clock with lots of threads coming from the birds, but it was too heavy:

Back of the clock and a mysterious coin:

Big moth, shark tooth,and a puzzle piece with Mexico on that I found exploring, but that's annother story Wink

Before everything was stuck in:

of course some people said it wasn't exactly Art, but my teacher liked it and I think I'm getting an A for it, so all is well!
Sorry for the hideously long post, but I didn't want to miss out too much Smiley Thankyou for hearing me ramble on , and c n c are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009 12:15:23 PM »

I love the objects you chose and how you put them all together.

Great job (and I'm glad your teacher liked it too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
lilseed
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009 12:18:29 PM »

Oh, this is definitely art. I love it Smiley This would make an excellent gift for father's day if dad is a nature guy. You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009 12:43:53 PM »

Yeah, whoever said it wasn't art, is probably jealous that your is better than theirs Cheesy

That's fantastic and I wish I had one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
LadyMearle
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009 12:45:39 PM »

How exactly is this NOT art? I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll tell you a tale of the bottomless blue
And it's hey to the starboard, heave ho
Look out, lad, a mermaid be waiting for you
In mysterious fathoms below
Asheri
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009 12:54:56 PM »

Looks pretty artful to me. Smiley
Good luck on your grade! I think you definitely deserve an A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GeeZee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009 01:05:03 PM »

Everyone on here seems offended that anybody would say thats not art! I am obsessed with little boxes. Well anything to put other little things into. My family has always teased me about it. This is a great idea to use some of them up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcakesorbet

I like pretty things

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009 07:44:13 AM »

Thanks everyone! And thanks for being angry on my behalf Cheesy It was just because it didn't involve any drawing, that confuses people Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nhorse
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009 02:13:47 PM »

I just finished an altered art book that talked about Cornell.  I really like your piece and I can see how it's in the vein of what he's done.  It's a piece of beautiful, true, altered art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcakesorbet

I like pretty things

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009 05:00:29 AM »

I just finished an altered art book that talked about Cornell.  I really like your piece and I can see how it's in the vein of what he's done.  It's a piece of beautiful, true, altered art.
Thanks! I found somewhere on the internet an altered book that Cornell did himself, you could virtualy flip through the pages, it was very interesting. I was serching for it earlier, but I can't find it any more, but its worth a look though, if you're interested in his work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Generic Baby Shoe Sole Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Flower Part 9/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 5/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 10/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 2/11
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...