A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Procion MX or Drimarene K?  (Read 1466 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliengrace
« on: June 18, 2009 09:17:28 PM »

I'm dyeing cotton and some wool and silk, and don't have much cash flow plus in consideration of environment and health. Considering a fibre reactive primary red, yellow and blue, and fibre reactive black and protein fibre black. Anyone know which of the two is less healthy for me and/or planet? Which uses more water (Procion MX I think needs much more rinsing)? Which exhausts better? Or - which can be left for a few days and additional things left in the exhaust to dye? More reliable results? Thanks if anyone knows what I'm talking about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliengrace
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009 03:11:56 AM »

...Eh well, maybe this is the wrong forum. Drimarene K is more available in English-speaking countries other than in North America.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009 07:45:16 PM »

I've only ever used Procion MX so I can't make the comparison but I can tell you my experience with Procion MX on cotton (and one silk shirt). Most of the time, if I get a funky color, not the one I should, it's because I'm using an unknown fabric, it's too cold/hot, I don't stir well, or the dye is old. When I actually follow the directions well and use fresh dye, it is quite reliable.
Since both the dyes you're looking at are fiber reactive dyes, they probably have similar health considerations. I wear a dust mask while mixing the dye to avoid breathing it, and gloves. If you're doing immersion dying then you can't save the dye to use again because it stops working a short while after being mixed with soda ash, which you add directly to the dye bath. If you use squirt bottles with the dye and soak the fabric in soda ash instead of adding it to the dye, then are careful not to get soda ash in the bottles, you can leave the mixed dye for a few days and still use it.
You have some control over how much water you use. To save water, I don't rinse till it runs clear, just somewhat light, then toss the fabric in the machine with water as hot as the fabric can handle and a color catching detergent. I have not had any problems of the dye rubbing off after that.
Have you looked at this site? http://www.pburch.net/dyeing.shtml
You might be able to find answers to some of your questions there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miss Pop Gives Us a Glitter Nail Tutorial
Kat Von D Makeup Recalled From Sephora
DIY Skin Firming Cellulite Scrub
Tips for Skincare and Finding Your Tone
Elevator Makeover - From Country Girl to City Chic
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...