A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are Charm bracelets childish?  (Read 2724 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pumpkin_022
« on: June 18, 2009 06:34:13 PM »

I love charm bracelets.  I am 25.  My mother in law (who is twice my age) says they are childish.  What do you think?

BTW, this is my first time EVER on this site, so please forgive any mistakes or any other "socially" taboo things I may have done.   Wink

~Jennifer

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009 08:00:32 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
annie mosity
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009 11:33:03 PM »

i think charm bracelets are wonderful! i have about five and love them. maybe it's a generational thing? i think you should just enjoy what you wear and leave it there. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009 03:49:53 PM »

I don't know about "elegant," but I think charm bracelets can be fun and whimsical.  They can also be tacky or over-done, if not put together tastefully.  But as regards to "childish," my mom LOVES charm bracelets, and she's closer to your MIL's age than yours (or mine, lol). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
crafty gurll
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009 07:56:02 PM »

If you like them, that's all that matters. Cheesy

There's a whole board on here about selling on etsy, with tons of good topics.  Check it out! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009 03:29:56 AM »

Pfeh whatever. Who cares what she thinkgs?

I may have a different outlook on them because I come from a family of jewelers. All the older women in my family have charm bracelets which makes me feel like it's an older lady thing. They are covered in charms that represent milestones in their lives. I don't really like them when they are collected in that way because often times the bracelet becomes large, jangly, and full of charms that clash.

I have considered getting a charm bracelet type tattoo but the details would be too fine..I also am avoiding getting them because I'm 21 and roll my eyes at my mother who turns every mundane (and I mean mundane) detail of her life into a story of the past. (don't mean to rant on here...)

BUT I have seen other types of charm bracelets that are beautiful and wouldn't mind wearing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittyspurseshop
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009 09:06:01 AM »

I am close to your Mother In Laws age and if memory serves me right - they were the RAGE when I was younger.  They are back in style in the United States in a big way, so I would say she's nuts.  Don't tell her that- LOL.  I actually have 2 charm bracelets I had when I was younger and have never gotten rid of them.  They have memories.  
They are not gaudy.  The charms are small.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009 09:08:04 AM by kittyspurseshop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A horse is a horse, of course, of course...........

http://SimplyEarrings.etsy.com
http://thekittyslitterbox.etsy.com
Tamarama
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009 12:44:00 PM »

I love charm bracelets!  I wore them when I was your age and I will still wear them when I'm your MILs age.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambush
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009 01:20:36 PM »

I love charm bracelets!  They did go out of fashion for a bit, so maybe your MIL just hasn't caught up?  Not to sound rude or anything though lol.

Whether they're in style/childish/whatever it's up to you what you wear.  If you like something, wear it.  Who cares what other people think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdanorth
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009 06:09:14 AM »

If you're making something you love, it comes out with a beauty that you don't get from a piece you didn't enjoy making, IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013 05:45:03 AM by I Sew Cute - Reason: edited to comply with craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Shell & Stone Jewelry Fresh From the Beach!
www.northbeachjewel ry.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorthBeachJewelry
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009 07:55:50 AM »

"Charm bracelets" used to be popular years ago, then went out of style for many years.  They're back now especially with the younger crowd and some of the newer looks, but they're mostly different than the older ones were in a number of ways.  

It used to be that charm bracelets were heavy quality-metal chains hung with quality-metal charms (sometimes to "represent" things, as mentioned) though some also looked different (and children sometimes wore lighter versions of them sometimes with "stones").  But when plastic was invented, lots of little plastic danglies and doodads were manufactured and were cheap, so the newer versions of charm bracelets began to sport lighter chains and smaller, lighter, more colorful items --the whole look of those bracelets is lighter and more whimsical.  There have also been some charm bracelets with heavier beads/dangles or just a lot more of them too, being made especially by "beaders," or worn by people who like to wear jewelry or more noticeable jewelry.

Also, heavier charm bracelets especially can interfere with using one's hands in a lot of ways so they've never been worn much by people who work or do hobbies/etc with their hands (until and unless they want to "dress up").

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009 07:58:15 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Dark Knight
How to Gesso a Canvas
How to Line Draw
How to Simply Draw People
How to Write a Poem in Iambic Pentameter
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...