A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help please?! It won't pick up the bottom thread!  (Read 9404 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

curlsmakethegirl
« on: June 18, 2009 06:18:04 PM »

I'm about to throw all the sewing machines in the house in the street and let a car smash them. We have a few different ones, and I can't seem to get the needle to pick up the bottom thread ON ANY OF THEM!

Here we go; My brother was threading my very first sewing machine for me and then I'd just use it (he tried to teach me, but of course when I did it his way, it still didn't work for me...). But now he's moved out, and I've been hand sewing since. So I thought I'd ask you guys! Smiley. I know that it's got to be me, since I can't thread any of them, so I took pictures of how I do the bobbin thingy (man I sound like a TOTAL professional). I followed the manual, and it still won't pick it up!

If any of you can help me I would be eternally grateful and name this machine after you ( =p! maybe it doesn't like it's current name...I named it Banana when we got it).

[I apologize in advance for the crappy pictures... I tried to adjust some of them but my camera is still broken from killing it at a concert.]

The machine is a Brother LS-2125 ^ That's it!

Bobbin.

Bobbin case thing.

Then I put the bobbin in bobbin case thing.

Then I pull the thread like this.

Then I bring it over beneath that clip.

And in it goes!

It is in. I try and try to get the needle to pick it up and it does not cooperate with me.

Please help me out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
intheyearofthehorse
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009 06:37:25 PM »

hhhmmm...I think I would start by putting the bobbin in the case the opposite direction (flip the bobbin over).  I have a similar model and all of your steps appear to be correct.  If that didn't work I think I would take the throat plate off and see if it needs to be cleaned out underneath.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009 06:58:34 PM »

Is your needle threaded front to back? I have this same one at my shop... maybe I can help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009 07:11:20 PM »

Then I pull the thread like this.

When you get to this part, I can't tell from the pictures that follow but do you (while holding it like that) then pull the thread up any more through the part that looks separated until you get to a part where you can just pull it with ease? That might be your problem.
If you get to this part then the next thing after putting it into the machine is to wind it by hand until the thread picks up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
curlsmakethegirl
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009 07:26:12 PM »

Is your needle threaded front to back? I have this same one at my shop... maybe I can help!

Mmm, I think it's threaded back to front? Should I thread it front to back? Thank you so much! I would appreciate it. I miss using a sewing machine. haha. Is there a correct way to put in the needle? Because it seems like each of my machines have it in a bit differently...?

"hhhmmm...I think I would start by putting the bobbin in the case the opposite direction (flip the bobbin over).  I have a similar model and all of your steps appear to be correct.  If that didn't work I think I would take the throat plate off and see if it needs to be cleaned out underneath."
-I've tried flipping it too, and I seem to get the same result >.< I suck! Okay I'll try taking the throat plate out. Thank you!

"When you get to this part, I can't tell from the pictures that follow but do you (while holding it like that) then pull the thread up any more through the part that looks separated until you get to a part where you can just pull it with ease? That might be your problem. If you get to this part then the next thing after putting it into the machine is to wind it by hand until the thread picks up."
-Yeah I think I'm pulling it through the right part, then I put it in the machine and I wind it by hand and it doesnt seem to want the thread >.< Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009 09:37:44 PM »

What you are describing sounds right -- with the note that yes, the thread needs to go front to back through the needle.  Usually there is a flat side on the needle and the hole is shaped to take the flat side in only one direction so it is pretty hard to put the needle in wrong.

You don't describe how you are expecting the thread to come up. 

After putting in the bobbin case, and when you wind it by hand you should be holding onto the end of the thread that went through the needle.

Turn the wheel by hand so the needle goes all the way down and back up.  When it has come back up, you pull the thread you have been holding down.  If you can do this with the bobbin door open you should see a loop of the needle thread sorta loop round the bobbin case.  The bobbin thread should have  been caught in this loop and as you pull the needle thread you will pull the bobbin thread up through the hole.

Hope this works. 

Mostly I think it is because you are calling it banana - most machines don't like names like that -- try honey, or kitty, or maybe explain that you called it banana because you really like bananas  (we geeks know these things)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009 10:21:55 PM »

I am curious to see how it's going over there... where are my awesome binoculars?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009 01:31:16 AM »

Aside from not picking up the thread, do all the parts move right?
When you roll the needle down and up again [by hand] does it catch or jam?
You should be able to see the top thread feed around the bobbin when the needle goes up and down [holding on to the top thread so it doesn't slip], does it feed or is it not feeding at all?
Pull out the bobbin and case, and roll the needle back down and up [by hand]. Does it look like it's catching or jamming? Or not feeding properly?

Another thing to check is whether it's clicking in properly. Instead of pulling the little tab and slotting it in [the little tab that stops the bobbin falling out of the case], hold it by the edges and push it in until it clicks.
The Bernie that I used to sew on sometimes would take an extra push for it to click.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
cyberology
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009 04:10:55 AM »

Looking at your pictures it looks like you haven't finished threading the upper part of your machine by putting the thread through the needle. If there's no thread in the needle then there's nothing to loop around and catch the bobbin thread when you crank the machine. It's that upper thread that grabs the lower thread and pulls it up through the needle plate.

Follow longtimegeek's instructions and I think you'll be sorted  Grin The fact that you're having this problem with all your machines makes me pretty sure that this is probably the problem, rather than the machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

House of Hirudinea | http://www.hirudinea.co.uk
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009 07:13:27 AM »

i am following this thread because it took me forever to figure/remember how to thread my machine and change the bobbin.  i did, but it was only by providence/gut instinct or something seemingly random like that.

also mine is similar to your BROTHER machine (only purple top area, not blue) but it seems to be a good solid machine and i bet i would have had the same problem on other brands just as you did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Enhance Photos using the Epson Artisan 810 Printer
Digital Photography Tips
How to Use Reflectors
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Discover the World Press Photo Exhibit
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...