A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my sewing machine does not have the fraction seam allowances on the thoat plate  (Read 2117 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwormbethie
« on: June 18, 2009 01:39:41 PM »

Hi y'all.  I have a Brother XR65 sewing machine and love it very very much except for one thing:  there are no fraction engravings for seam allowances on the throat plate, you know, 1/4" , 1/2" , 5/8" etc.....

It does have some type of square grid box (to the right of the needle) engraved on the throat plate though that has 4 columns and 6 rows (the columns are all the same lenght and width, and the rows all have the same width) and at the top of the square grid box is says 10 20 30

My needle can be adjusted in varying increments from the far left to the far right.  I've fiddled with it and  used a tape measure and it seems no matter where I position the needle, the 10 20 30 lines do not correspond to 1/2" or 5/8" which are common seam allowances.

So...... my questions are twofold: 
(1)  Is my machine a rare exception, do most sewing machines have seam allowances engraved on the throat plate?

(2)  My hubby is a professional carpenter and says he has tools that he could engrave the throat plate for me and put in 1/2" and 5/8" lines.  He is talented and precise and I trust that he wil do a good job.  If he does this for me, what position should my needle be in when we take 1/2" and 5/8" measurements?  Should my needle be in the center position?  far left?  far right? 

As for right now, I'm getting by by marking 1/2" and 5/8" with a small piece of blue painters tape and using a dritz magnetic seam guide to keep my sewing accurate.

thanks in advance for advice!

bethie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009 02:25:25 PM »

(1)  Is my machine a rare exception, do most sewing machines have seam allowances engraved on the throat plate?

(2)  My hubby is a professional carpenter and says he has tools that he could engrave the throat plate for me and put in 1/2" and 5/8" lines.  He is talented and precise and I trust that he wil do a good job.  If he does this for me, what position should my needle be in when we take 1/2" and 5/8" measurements?  Should my needle be in the center position?  far left?  far right? 

1.)  Yes, most machines have the seam allowances engraved on, at least most I've seen.  But there are exceptions (such as yours), and they're not really that rare.

2.)  You want the needle to be in the center position.  That is, unless you typically sew with your needle in the far left or right postition, but I'm willing to bit large sums of money that that is not the case...so go with the center!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
de_sjiem
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009 07:44:23 PM »

I"m thinking that the grid on your machine are metric seam allowances...  (10 mm, 20 mm, 30 mm etc) and as such would not match up with Standard inches :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009 03:50:45 AM »

On many vintage machines there are no seam markings at all.  For certain models, aftermarket needleplates with marking is available, but for many they're not. 

So, I made a stick-on label of sorts using my CAD software.  I marked a cross point where the needle should be, stuck in on a clean needle plate and used a razor to trim off the excess.  I happen to have some white labels to print them on, but the next batch is going to be on clear, laser printed labels. 

I don't have a photo of just the label, but you can see it in use in my latest blog entry about hemming pants/jeans on a flat bed machine.  Once I get the clear ones, I will do an entry about them.  I'm sure you could do something similar by hand with a ruler and straight edge on a plain sticker/label.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009 02:40:58 PM »

I sometimes just put a piece of blue tape (masking tape) on the plate to mark the seam allowance I want.  It's easier to see.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
bookwormbethie
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009 06:50:18 AM »

thanks for the tips y'all.  it seems it would be easier to tape something to the throat plate (making sure it doesn't overlap the bobbin holder or get in the way of the screws to take off the throat plate for cleaning, etc...) rather than engraving on the throat plate....

I do have a mark for 1/2" and 5/8" with painters tape but when I move my magnetic seam guide around, sometimes it peels up the tape.... i'll just have to tape down my new seam guide more securely and be careful when i move the magnetic seam guide

magnetic seam guide:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3281&PRODID=prd13157
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oscar-Worthy Tips from Lupita’s Makeup Artist
Mascara Product Review: Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara
A Youthful, Flirty Makeup Look to Refresh Your Style
How Highlighting Can Transform Your Everyday Look
Back to Uni Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...