A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eloping garter from Knitty  (Read 1781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

femiknit
« on: June 18, 2009 10:44:01 AM »

I just finished making the Eloping garter for my sister who is getting married in Jamaica in July. I thought I followed the pattern correctly but the middle of my finished version looks nothing like theirs. Either way, I'm proud. I took a close-up pic in case anyone out there knows what I did wrong.

Pattern link: [url]http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer08/KSPATTeloping.html/url]

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's your life, you can decorate it as you like ~ ben folds five
indescript
I'd rather craft than go to work.

Woo-za!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009 10:50:46 AM »

I didn't see the original pattern photo, but if it doesn't look like it's supposed to ... were you supposed to block it? Either way, I think it's beautiful and I wish I would have had time to knit my own garter, but I only had three weeks to plan the entire wedding.

(Just looked at the photo on knitty.com - maybe you used a yarn that was too thick?)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009 07:46:18 PM by indescript » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog at http://umikoart.blogspot.com and my Etsy shop at http://umiko.etsy.com Smiley
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009 11:31:45 AM »

Very pretty.  What size yarn/thread did you use?

FYI, I made two garters (or was it three?) for my friends getting married in the past.  I used a crocheted pattern, but I suspect the same thing may apply.  The first one I made, we used the ribbon to tie onto her leg.  However, as she walked up the steps to the alter, it slid down her leg to the floor.  Luckily I was a bridesmaid and scooped it up, and she kept it as a keepsake.  The next ones I made, I used a bit of clear/translucent puffy fabric paint to give a bit of friction and grip to the inside, just a thin bead of it along a couple of the edges, so it would not slide - like the clear tape on the inside of bikini tops to keep the fabric from slipping (I also bought some of that, but figured putting the puffy paint on was easier than sewing the other stuff on).  If you can find elasticized ribbon, that would do well too.

Maybe that may not happen with yours.  Mine was lacy, using size 20 cotton thread, and had beaded picot edging, so it may have been weightier - but maybe have her give a try first to make sure it doesn't slide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009 11:47:27 AM »

I"m not a knitting expert by far but the pattern uses laceweight which is very thin and it looks like you used worsted weight.
Honestly I think it is beautiful and will be loved as is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lipzilla
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009 01:03:35 PM »

I took a look at the original and I have to say I love yours much better!  Good job if you ask me - kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlairsBear

Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009 06:43:52 AM »

So pretty!  I bet your sis loves it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.
Knit-Wit

Knitting and kitties go together....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009 01:54:12 PM »

it looks awesome! defnintely better than the other pic of the pattern. I'm gonna try making this for my sister when she gets married, wish me luck  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna know whatcha gotta do when life is gettin' you down? Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, knitting knitting, what do we do we knit, knit, knit
julietalpha
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009 02:25:26 AM »

You beat me to it!  I made the Eloping garter for my own wedding but it's still where I got married and I'm not!  I used a cotton bamboo blend and it was beautifully soft.  Mine also looked like yours.  I agree that it's because the yarn is much thicker but I still think it looks pretty.  Your sister is very lucky!

I have a similar story to Onyxnox - mine slipped off between the car and the church, which was okay.  My bridesmaids shielded me while I hoiked it up!  However, it was harder to disguise the fact that it slipped off in the middle of our dance!  My new husband kicked it under the table so it wasn't left on the floor but we were cracking up the whole dance!  Some of the guests couldn't see the garter - they just thought he was doing an extra move for panache.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: Chain Crochet Stitch
Choosing a Crochet Stitch
How to Shape the Glass
How to Dress for a Glass Blowing Class
How to Handle Hot Blown Glass
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...