A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,773
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green Chile, Spanish Rice, slow cooked pinto beans!  (Read 1947 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian_holiday_food , side_dish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 18, 2009 09:54:53 AM »

My boyfriend and I found a crock pot at Target for $18.99 and we've been using it like crazy these last couple of weeks. I made pinto beans a couple of nights ago, so I decided to make burritos, green chile and Spanish rice.

Lettuce, chopped
Tomato, chopped
Onion, chopped
Follow Your Heart cheddar, grated (optional, you can't really taste it anyway.)
Tortillas (make sure to read the ingredients, some places use lardddd!!)

1-2 cups of dried pinto beans
2-4 cups of water
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 tsp salt or more to taste
crock pot

Sort beans, take out the bad ones (black, misshapen, ugly, etc.) and put the rest into a large bowl or container. Fill container with water and stir with a long spoon. Poor water out of container and repeat 3-4 times until water is no longer dirty. Some people soak the beans over night, but I never plan that far ahead.

Next, combine all ingredients in your crock pot. Just make sure the water is a couple inches above the beans. (You can always drain it out later.) Turn the crock pot on high, and let cook for 5-6 hours.

You will have tons of beans, but who doesn't love beans. I usually just mash a little at time and keep the rest in the refrigerator with some of the broth still in the container. I like the beans whole with chile over them sometimes.

Green Chile:
1/2 onion, chopped into large pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken flavored vegan bouillon and water, you can also just used water)
4 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
4 tbsp (or more if you like spicy) chopped green chile (I used Bueno, I think they are from New Mexico, very delicious!) make sure it is thawed!
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Saute garlic and onions in olive oil on medium high heat until onions are translucent. Lower heat and and add flour to make a paste. Let the flour brown a bit before adding the liquid. Add 1 cup of the vegetable broth and Bragg's, bring the gravy to a boil on medium to medium-high heat, stirring constantly. It will thicken up quite a bit, so I use the second cup to thin it out. Once the gravy is at the consistency that you like, add the chile and tomatoes. Turn down the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper and cumin.

Spanish Rice:
1 cup white long grain rice
olive oil
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1 small can tomato sauce (or a heaping spoonful of tomato paste, but what do you do with the rest of the can? I don't like wasting it so I use sauce.)
about 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas (sometimes I use peas and carrots)
salt and pepper to taste

Brown rice in olive oil(make sure all rice is coated) over medium high heat in a deep pot for about 20 minutes, until rice is lightly toasted. Add water, tomato sauce, and salt and pepper to pot and bring to a boil. Lower temperature, and add peas. Let cook for 25-30 minutes. Make sure you don't lift the lid because this will let the steam escape! You can also add the peas in after the rice is done if they are fresh. Just let them warm up a little bit in the rice.

I like to think that these recipes are somewhat authentic. Very easy and very cheap to make. Enjoy.

I pretty much put the exact same thing in my blog, knitthatshit.blogspot.com.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009 10:03:46 AM »

I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian for that matter, but I am totally going to make these. They look so, so yummy! Thanks for the recipes!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009 10:45:51 AM »

OOOH! Thanks for the recipes! I'm definitely having this for dinner tonite!  Cheesy
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009 01:25:16 PM »

yum! thanks for sharing!

the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009 05:51:42 AM »

YUM. Thanks for sharing! this looks totally amazing.

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009 01:13:58 PM »

Yum! yum! yum! I love my crock pot, too. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try 'em all out! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Burger with Spicy Blue
How to make Eggplant Casserole
How to Cook Crab Claws
How to Make a Fish and BLT Wrap
How to make Grilled Barbecue Chicken Skewers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...