A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super quick birthday quilt (pic preggo)  (Read 1203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

penguinade
« on: June 18, 2009 09:42:29 AM »

I've been working so studiously on my thesis research, new apartment decorating and log cabin quilt  ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=295822.msg3366950#msg3366950 ) that I nearly forgot my brother's birthday.  His ex-gf somehow took the last quilt I made him, so this one needed to be very personal and gf-proof . . .

The nearly finished quilt (I pulled an all-nighter before a 6 a.m. bus to hometown, but didn't have time to bind it with royal blue 1/2" binding)

The outline of each square and a 3 inch square within that outline are quilted in yellow.  The finished size is about 42" square.

Closeup of the fabrics for detail

Each fabric was cut into 1 1/2" strips and sewn randomly to form a new fabric, either yellow or blue.  If you're planning on using this sort of technique, press the new fabric very carefully to avoid distorting it, and avoid pulling the cut shapes while sewing them together to prevent the cut seams from spreading apart.

Then, HSTs were cut and sewn, and I played around with settings:

In case yellow and blue (his favorite colors) weren't clear indications that the quilt was to belong to him and no one else, I backed it with ratchets and wrenches

He loves it  Cool .  He's an architect and bike aficionado who's rehabbing his first house completely by himself at the moment.  Loves clean lines and bright colors, hates flowery prints.  I don't have pictures of the finished quilt (with binding), but the binding really makes it--and should look great against the bright yellow walls he plans to paint.

I had never been comfortable using a thimble before this quilt, but now I can't imagine quilting without it!  My fingers are really long, and it took me a while to figure out a comfortable position, but it has made my stitches so much neater and I can work for longer periods.  This is also the first quilt that I've used any needles smaller than sewing sharps . . . I dropped down to a size 10 between, and I've seen the light  Cheesy  Hard to believe I've made myself suffer so much on queen+ size quilts before these revelations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://penguinade.tumblr.com/
Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
NH822

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009 09:58:09 AM »

This  ROCKS!

I love the material on the back!  AND I loved the way you shared your process with us!  Thanks!  I am so envious of you quilters!  Maybe someday *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009 11:26:38 AM »

love! it's very neat that you showed all the possibilities you could do with the block!

Also hand-quilted!   Shocked  amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firsttimegranny
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009 05:50:13 PM »

Thank you for showing all of the differnt designs. I love the colors and the back is great. Hand quilted to!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilaboo4
a lil bit of heaven & a lil bit of hell yeah

More normal than I should be!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009 02:56:34 PM »

its awesome seeing the construction ideas!!!! very versatile process!

**love** the wrench fabric!!!!

and good luck to ur brother and his home rehabbing project!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Horseshoe Pitching Rules
Horseshoes Throwing Tutorial
Overtime and Rebuttals in Beer Pong
How to Play a Normal Beer Pong Play
How to Start the Beer Pong Game
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...