A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
315 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jack Skellington and Sally costumes (Nightmare before Christmas) *pic heavy!*  (Read 82292 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween , costume , jack_skellington , sally , nightmare_before_christmas , featured_project , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Suzhy
« on: June 18, 2009 01:45:54 AM »

technically, these are not halloween costumes. We wore these at an annual fantasy event called 'Elf Fantasy Fair' in the Netherlands. but since it's jack and sally, I thought I'd post it here.

I made the sally dress first. I just made a basic dress, and then sewed on the fabric parts. I searched every store to find the perfect fabric colours. I drew on the curls/stripes/dots with black permanent marker. I bought white thights and drew on stitches. I already had the perfect shoes. I dyed my hair red just for this occasion Smiley

The Jack costume was next and it was a lt harder. I made a black jacket, trousers and tie and painted on white stripes with textile paint (this took a very very long time, why is Tim Burton so fond of stripes  Tongue). I used wire at the back of the jacket, so the ends at the back stand out.

We made a walking stick because my sister (in the jack costume) is walking on stilts.
She works part-time at a children and youth circus and is trained to walk on stilts, so I only recommend doing it with practice. Because of the mask she could see very little, that made it even harder. But it went quite well, she never fell or stumbled (she was very confident nothing would happen, she assured me she had never fallen before and I think I was more scared about the stiltwalking than her Wink )

Then the mask, definitely the hardest part of the costume. My first attempt (cheese-cloth and plaster) failed, it wasn't strong enough. The second attempt (paper-mache) worked better. I made a shape of paper mache on balloon, then made it rounder using cotton wool and tape, made many layers of paper-mache on that and finally got a perfect shape. I put on some layers of white filler (the kind you use to fill up small holes in the wall) and sanded in between layers, making it smoother. I cut out eyes and mouth, putting see-through fabric behind the eyes. Inside the mask I glued a (bikers) helmet, to make it fit better and make it more comfortable.

The only thing we bought for the jack costume are the skeleton gloves.

Well enough talking, on to the pics! Not all pictures are ours, there were many people who took our photo, so we found a lot of them on the internet. Enjoy!

^we were talking at eachother here, and someone took a photo. It looks real cute  Cheesy

More than a year ago (april 2008), when I had just finished the Sally dress, I heard that Tim Burton would be in Amsterdam, at the Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival in Tuschinski cinema. So I dressed up and went to the signing session. I got an autograph and this picture Cheesy he said he liked the costume!  (the quality of the photo is not very good, it was very dark inside)

*** update oct. 05***

Last month we went to the Elf Fantasy Fair in Arcen (near Germany). We took part in the 'personathlon', which is a kind of costume contest. We won second price! Also, I found some new pictures online that I wanted to share Smiley hope you enjoy them!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009 06:04:14 AM by Suzhy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

http://www.suzhy.etsy.com
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009 01:58:04 AM »

all i can say is OMG WOW! THAT IS SO WOW! LOST FOR WORDS..... *STARES DUMBFOUNDED*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
SarahJSaturday
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009 02:29:08 AM »

THIS IS AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly known as rubidiumdawn, I changed my username.
The Crafteteria- Home Baked crafts!
Bike Swap! Let's make this happen!
weet!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009 03:10:51 AM »

i love it. youre a very good sally! i defintely hit the 'this rocks' button Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009 03:27:56 AM »

absolutely fricking awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
leafy_lane
National Society of Sarcasm - Like We Need Your Support!

Genesis 2v24... One Day :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009 03:38:20 AM »

Just... wow Shocked This rocks harder than granite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Father, I need you
Your strength my heart to mend,
I want to fly higher every new day again.
              --- 'Every New Day' by Five Iron Frenzy

Do you have a good reason for not checking out my blog? Didn't think so... http://atinythought.typepad.com/
VintageGrace

All around Vintage Lover<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009 04:07:21 AM »

Amazing! That is just beyond words. You can see all the effort you put into the costumes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vrtnej
T'estimo, tan, Salvem el mn

El rei est de tornada!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009 04:14:01 AM »

ah, wow! so cool! and i love the picture of you two talking to each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seneris
Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009 04:28:04 AM »

Haha, I've been to the Elf fantasy fair Smiley And I think I saw you two walking. Well done, great costume Smiley The mask is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
Radmom
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009 04:28:15 AM »

OMG!!!!! YOU RULEZ! That Jack is awesome! Sally is good naturally too, but to be able to pull off Jack THAT WELL...WOW! I especially love the picture where jack is staring and caressing Sally's hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Hologram in After Effects
How To Use A Camera In After Effects
How to Outline Fonts in Adobe Illustrator
How to Correct Color using Photoshop Lab Space
Chang Color of Sky in Photoshop using Selective Color
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...