A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Viva Mexico!!! aka the Mexican kitsch swap gallery!  (Read 36325 times)
Tags for this thread: dia_de_los_muertos , day_of_the_dead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jca1982
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009 10:48:48 AM »

Totally crashing your gallery.

That bottlecap mirror is so freakin' cool!

Bummed I missed out on this swap...hopefully there will be a round 2... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'If I wasn't born a woman, i'd have been a drag queen' Dolly Parton

My etsy!
https://MidwestBeauties.etsy.com
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009 01:48:43 PM »

I received today from nataluna! My postman was nice enough to bring it right to my apartment door instead of leaving it on the stoop, too!

I got totally spoiled (Ay! And I'm sending late! GUILT!) so set wists to stun. I asked for mostly kitchen stuff, and nataluna totally delivered.

First I pulled out these fabulous kitchen towels! They're my favorite kind, too, the plain cotton kind. They match the walls in my kitchen! There's also a bright and cheery plastic bag holder, something we desperately needed.

Now, she claims she's a beginner at sewing... but check out the applique. It's really great! (And the adorable lizard faces.)

Next I pulled out this sweet chili pepper canister, little metal parrot canister, and cute little terra cotta bird. I can't wait for my partner to see the big pepper canister, he's a lover of all thing spicy. I think I'm going to use it to keep all our big utensils in.

Next out were these container magnets. I had to turn to google to translate them, and I totally love this phrase, especially because several hits implied that it invokes the 5-second rule, which is possibly my partner's FAVORITE rule. I cannot stop him from eating things that fall on the floor. It's revolting. But now he'll totally have a phrase in his defense on the fridge. AWESOME. It's sort of loosely translated as "What doesn't kill you makes you fatter."

And then my very own raven shrine! Colorful, glittery, kitschy... it's got everything and a little bit more. I think this bad boy is going in the entryway where all our visitors can see it right off.

And a mirror! I've got the perfect spot on the wall for it, and it's covered in milagros!
It's a beautiful red color which my camera just couldn't capture:

Plus a slew of little extra bits! More milagros, a Virgin of Guadalupe rosary necklace, and a wee ceramic cross in the talavera style:

Everything together:

I really got spoiled. Thank you so much, nataluna! You've pretty much single handedly redecorated my kitchen. I'm going to head in there now and set everything up before the SO gets home... we'll see how long it takes him to notice. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009 02:18:08 PM »

whew, i am so glad it all made it ok (^_^)
i was sure that chiles jar and hanging bird (stashbusting extras, not made by me or anything) was going to end up as mosaic fodder.  oh, i think if you hang a glass bead inside the bird, he can maybe be a bell.  i might be wrong, though.
speaking of not made by me, the metal parrot jar was made by hand by someone clever ... somewhere tropical ... at an unknown time in the past.  ie a happy yardsale find, iirc.
also the talavera cross is supposedly real talavera.  that and the virgen necklace came from the mexican folklore store in the latin mall that i showed you guys.

the spare milagros were in case i didn't fill the mirror well enough.  i should have thought to include some tiny nails but i was a little spaced out that day.   Roll Eyes to be honest, ... every day, lately.

the lizards were upcycled off of a touristic t-shirt of Arizona.  they will be so much happier on your towels because they didn't show up all that well on the busy background of the t-shirt.  
comic trivia:  i got all creeped out when i had to sew near their eyes.
and, man, if i never have to sew another lizard toe again, i will be happy.  
that is my contribution to the odd random phrases collection of this swap.  Cheesy

you did a good translation of the magnetic containers.  i wonder if it's a parody of the Nietzsche expression, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"...
and it means, as you understood, that if the food is not bad enough to kill you, it's good enough to nourish you.  
now, we really need something like that in our kitchen, too  Grin
oh yeah and about the 5-second rule, the colombian version says "mugre que no mata, engorda" ... mugre being dirt.  but this was mexican so i had to use it the way they say it there, being a language nerd and stuff...  Cheesy  plus then it covers bad cooking, too... just in case that ever happens in your house.

the Raven shrine has a secret:  the chiles and beans and bayleaves(?) of the paper triangles are recycled from the paper circles that were inside the magnetic containers to show what they could hold on your fridge.  i thought it was a good irony.  and now you see where all the glitter glue went.  i seriously used up like half of the very generous assortment of glitter glues that our swap member in VT supply-swapped me!
i had SO MUCH FUN making that, next i want to make a cat one for our house.

sorry for chattering on....  it's just that Aeon's likes gave me such a lot of ideas, and i had such a lot of fun making these things!!

ETA: please Aeon don't have any guilt.  because (A) like i said this is only the 2nd swap i ever mailed on time.  and (B) being on latin time is totally mexican kitsch.  and (C) life happens and (D) i bet you are making something really cool, cos you said you had to go to the museum about it.  can you tell i am curiousing my brains out?!?!?! but it's more fun that way.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009 02:24:57 PM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009 03:04:07 PM »

And I have to add:

(Ignore the fact that our kitchen is kind of a mess.)
Look how well that new towel matches! And that mirror color looks so good on the wall.
And I had to laugh, because I put those magnet canisters on the fridge and realized that everything on our fridge is already those colors. Smiley Couldn't have planned it better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009 03:13:04 PM »

that is a great package! i really like the mirror! your kitchen is so cute!

nataluna---your a "beginner" at sewing? you did a grat job.  i cant wait to see what you do when you consider yourself to be not a beginner anymore!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009 03:28:33 PM »

Wow! You scored!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009 05:31:06 PM »

thank you guys for the nice comments, and Aeon i am so happy to see the "action shot".  also your kitchen is a really nice color of green! 

morglanc, the thing is i haven't learned to consistently sew either straight lines or curves (she probably ought to have showed a worse bit of lizard).  and i wish the machine had an ultra-slow speed to where it didn't go faster than my brain... but it's electric, so it doesn't.

next i am going to make a purse as a left-over bit of another swap, and then i am going to turn 2 pillowcases and a t-shirt into a dress for me...  for both of which i need to master the whole straight line thing... eeeek.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009 06:39:40 PM »

ha, things have more character when they arent perfect. although i've never been a type A person.

i should be receiving on monday or tuesday, i cant wait to share my goodies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Anya Kase
There are no Happy Endings without a Villian.

The Evil Twin since 1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009 06:50:59 PM »

Wow!, those packages have set the bar high!  They are so awesome I can't pick a favorite. It's all my favorite.  Great work! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going green,.....Can I have your hairspray?" };-}~
http://wists.com/AnyaKase
snazzlecraft

I jumped on the mustache train! CHOO CHOO!!

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009 08:10:38 PM »

I received today!! I am going to sleep now but I will post pictures tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Tutu Dress
Craft Challenge #117 Announced – Gingerbread House Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...