A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Language Learner swap: Gallery of Lingual Delights  (Read 19240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pinkguin
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2009 11:07:04 AM »

Oh Laundry Bunny, I'm glad the shirt fits! and yes the beads on the drink charms says "minum" (drink in Malay). Here's a photo of them that I took:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand it over to you on a plate

http://www.wists.com/Pinkguin
LaundryBunny
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2009 11:14:16 AM »

A much better picture!  Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigerita
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2009 12:38:40 PM »

Thanks!  Although I've been made aware that my name kind of translates to something a bit racy....  Oops! Wink
I can still wear it to work--the perks of working in a bar!

haha, yes i was going to point that out too!  though i'd say it's beyond "a bit" racy...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaundryBunny
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2009 01:33:25 PM »

Haha!  I'll be featured on an Arabic Engrish.com Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigerita
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2009 09:41:07 PM »

Haha!  I'll be featured on an Arabic Engrish.com Cheesy

haha awesome!

actually, the more i think about it... certainly the way your name is pronounced would raise a few eyebrows, but i'm not sure about the writing.  as with any transliteration, there are a few correct ways to spell it, and i'm not sure if this one or the other one is the obscene one!  my guess is that it's the other one though.  anyone else know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2009 09:47:19 PM »

The other one without the first "ya" character is very obscene... >_< gotta love arabic, though...

I think the worst sounding arabic phrase to english speakers is "This is carrot cake only"
Lordy... we were saying it all the time in my arabic class and my arabic teachers (all were from the Middle East) couldn't figure out why we would crack up with the phrase. One actually made a carrot cake and brought it into class one day because "we loved talking about carrot cake so much!" Lol! All I can say about it, is that I went to class with a bunch of pervs...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009 09:49:24 PM by tcmatteson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2009 09:54:54 PM »

The other one without the first "ya" character is very obscene... >_< gotta love arabic, though...

I think the worst sounding arabic phrase to english speakers is "This is carrot cake only"
Lordy... we were saying it all the time in my arabic class and my arabic teachers (all were from the Middle East) couldn't figure out why we would crack up with the phrase. One actually made a carrot cake and brought it into class one day because "we loved talking about carrot cake so much!" Lol! All I can say about it, is that I went to class with a bunch of pervs...

In my school in Indonesia, there was a student named Fahmi - but with the 'h' being a glottal sound. It was all I could do to not die with laughter everytime I called his name out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2009 10:21:28 PM »

In my school in Indonesia, there was a student named Fahmi - but with the 'h' being a glottal sound. It was all I could do to not die with laughter everytime I called his name out.

Hahahaha! Fahmi! I love it!
There's a Thai (?) restaurant in Monterey California called Pho King (Pho is actually pronounced Fa). I'm guessing it was supposed to be like Burger King, but with a really bad outcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2009 10:32:38 PM »

I thought the Pho in Thai is actually meant to be P(h)o with an aspirated 'h' - I have faint recollections of a linguistics class talking about how the Thai language has two different 'p' sounds - one aspirated, one non-aspirated, and that in Thai they formed a 'minimal pair (?)', as the meaning of a word DID change depending on which one you used.

At any rate - grab a map of New Zealand (Aotearoa) and look it over for a few giggles. Any Maori word that has 'wh' in it, is pronounced 'f'. I learnt this when my mate told me about the Maori concept of 'whakapapa'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2009 10:55:14 PM »

I thought the Pho in Thai is actually meant to be P(h)o with an aspirated 'h' - I have faint recollections of a linguistics class talking about how the Thai language has two different 'p' sounds - one aspirated, one non-aspirated, and that in Thai they formed a 'minimal pair (?)', as the meaning of a word DID change depending on which one you used.

At any rate - grab a map of New Zealand (Aotearoa) and look it over for a few giggles. Any Maori word that has 'wh' in it, is pronounced 'f'. I learnt this when my mate told me about the Maori concept of 'whakapapa'.

I never took Thai, so I'm pretty much just going off of how I was told it was pronounced... Plus, I can't remember if it was a Thai restaurant or not... Um... Pho is the name of the food they served (a broth with thinly sliced raw pieces of meat that cook in the broth and there were veggies you could add to the bowl as well- kinda like a hot pot but without the heat source under the bowl).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Guides Using the Line Tool
Adobe Illustrator CS2 - How to Open Files from Bridge
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Transparency to a Gradient
Macromedia Flash 8 - Choosing a Gradient Overflow
Macromedia Flash 8 - Saving and Locking Gradients
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...