A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Language Learner swap: Gallery of Lingual Delights  (Read 17833 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigerita
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2009 01:31:14 AM »

progress update!

SM: 50%
MED: planned
LG: 80%
extras: 100%

yay, that's great!

i have a few finishing touches left, and will hopefully ship on friday when i will be back in cairo for a day between one bit of work and the next, inshallah...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollywood suicide

Are you scared enough

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2009 06:35:30 AM »

Yeey, Swedish candy! Cheesy Cheesy

And what a nice package!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 12:23:43 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please remove IMG tags when quoting! Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've seen the universe in your eyes
I've seen the beauty that never dies
LaundryBunny
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2009 08:12:06 AM »

What awesome stuff!  This swap was much more of a challenge, but that's why it was fun!

Oh, but swap anxiety has set in  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OhThat
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2009 01:00:28 PM »

I'm SO glad everything arrived!!!  This swap was great because I learned a little Tagalog in the process (I'll admit that even though I LOVE languages, Tagalog was a language I knew nothing about - maybe I even thought it was a language spoken in a remote part of Africa  Wink  )

P.S.  I'm happy the chocolate survived too.  It made it from Sweden to here without a hitch (along with some Ahlgrens bilar chewy candies for my son - who likes to remind me it's "Sveriges mest kpta bil" and Zoegas coffee for my husband), but I was worried about it making it from Ohio to you since the trip apparently took MUCH longer!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 01:09:27 PM by OhThat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2009 01:35:30 PM »

I survived taking my kids back, having people come and look at my puppies (I've got 2 that are already spoken for, so YAY!) and cleaning my house.  And now, I've got pictures!  I received quite a bit ago, but I had no idea what some of the items were, as my lovely partner pulled "me" and forgot to enclose her note!  LOL!  I'm really forgetful to, so it's all good.  Anyway, I'll post the photos here, tell you what I can about what she made me, and let her fill in the rest.  Cheesy

The first one is candy and other yummies from Australia.  NONE of them have been eaten yet, I told my daughter and roommate not to mess with it until I had the photos taken.  Cheesy

The next one is a closer photo of the CD that she made for me.  Cheesy  Not sure what's on it yet, but I'm sure she'll tell us all!

This one I've got NO clue what the language is, but I believe that it is on tea towels/napkins with a lovely little basket/bag to hold them and keep them pretty!

This one is a shot of everything that I got, in the middle of my yard.  Cheesy

This one I KNOW what it is!  This is a picture book teaching me about ordering ice cream in Italian!  I've looked it over already and am excited, I'm going to teach my kids how to order ice cream in Italian!

Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 01:37:01 PM by HandsyMalone » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LostInOz
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2009 02:41:20 PM »

The first one is candy and other yummies from Australia.  

Heh, I'm eating a Caramello Koala right this second, as I read that! Mmm... chocolate. I want Mint Slices now, too... sigh. I shall just have to go home to get all the good stuff.

Great package, I could have done with the guide to ordering ice cream in Italian when I was in Rome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2009 02:42:53 PM »

I'm SO glad everything arrived!!!  This swap was great because I learned a little Tagalog in the process (I'll admit that even though I LOVE languages, Tagalog was a language I knew nothing about - maybe I even thought it was a language spoken in a remote part of Africa  Wink  )

P.S.  I'm happy the chocolate survived too.  It made it from Sweden to here without a hitch (along with some Ahlgrens bilar chewy candies for my son - who likes to remind me it's "Sveriges mest kpta bil" and Zoegas coffee for my husband), but I was worried about it making it from Ohio to you since the trip apparently took MUCH longer!!!

It made it through okay and it might tasty! I keep munching on it here and there.

Handsy the embroidery on those towels is gorgeous! Just so you Tim Tam fans know you CAN get those cookies in the U.S. If you have a World Market head on over there and look for the Arnott's brand. If I remember right it just says Arnott's...but the brand name will be there. For some reason I heard they couldn't import it under the name of Tim Tam. These cookies are delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LostInOz
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2009 02:48:46 PM »

Handsy the embroidery on those towels is gorgeous! Just so you Tim Tam fans know you CAN get those cookies in the U.S. If you have a World Market head on over there and look for the Arnott's brand. If I remember right it just says Arnott's...but the brand name will be there. For some reason I heard they couldn't import it under the name of Tim Tam. These cookies are delicious.

Man, I'm so easily influenced... even the mere mention of Tim Tams has me wanting some. Never mind, I believe my Mum is going on a mission to the Australia Shop in London tomorrow... I shall send her with instructions to buy me an $8 (or more!!!) pack of biscuits. The joys of the expat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2009 07:31:48 PM »

Ha hah ahahahahahaaaa!!!!

Handsy - if you've got a Tim Tam left, make yourself a cup of coffee, nibble off two diagonal corners, and use your TimTam like a straw. Sweet zeus it's awesome.

I forgot to include a letter with what I sent - I wrote the damn thing out, but didn't add it to the parcel, and I feel like a fooooool.

Here's an extra pic - one of the pages from the Italian book:

This is a collage book - essentially about a girl buying icecream, with the idea, I guess, to show a) how to order icecream in Italy; b) how to count to 10; and c) 10 flavours of icecream. On this page she's ordering her fifth scoop, which is to be raspberry flavoured. I miss raspberry gelato.... The book, like I said, is all collaged - because I can't draw. I'm still finding scraps of paper around my loungeroom floor - but we must thank the IKEA catalogue, school exercise book, flickrphotos, wrapping paper and literary magazine that gave their lives so that I could make this. Wink

The rest of the stuff is all Javanese/hanacaraka related. Hanacaraka is the little-used Javanese alphabet, but one that I think is quite decorative.

The bag has the alphabet embroidered onto it. From L-R it reads:
ha, na, ca, ra, ka
da, ta, sa, wa, la
pa, dha, ja, ya, nya
ma, ga, ba, tha, nga

when read that way, it actually tells a little story about a brave emissary.

The CD includes a lot fo resources I have found online - there's Javanese phrases, instructions on how to put the alphabet together, a font that can be installed on a computer, plus instructions for how to type in hanacaraka. Plus the CD also has a track of me reading out the gelato story (at 4am - please be gentle!)

The napkins, sadly, use fabric paint - not embroidery. Here's the whole phrase:

It says "mangan ra mangan sing penting kumpul". Which translates (roughly) as "Feasting or fasting, what's important is that we're together" And I like that sentiment for a napkin.

If you feel like puzzling out the 'code', the first few characters (up to and including the big 'j'-shaped swoop) are 'mangan', then the one that looks like the letter 'n' for 'ra', then it repeats again the first few for the second 'mangan'. One character with a little circle and a tick above it is 'sing', the next two characters with the big hat, circle, tick and downstairs wiggle is 'penting', and the rest is 'kumpul'.

And with my organiser hat on - a few more statuses to be updated. I'll try and get that done now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2009 09:36:28 PM »

OMG I have to try that with a tim tam. Mmmm!

That collage is beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
The Real Life of John Wayne, a Hollywood and American Icon
Southern Minute with Fannie Flagg
Joan Didion, Irony, and the Death of the California Dream
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...