A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Language Learner swap: Gallery of Lingual Delights  (Read 16824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009 04:19:56 AM »

@schnerby, yesterday i did 2 successful last items [and one unsuccessful, but it was an extra so ... blah].  anyway yours can be mailed like i said as soon as i get the car in the daytime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Sofiushka
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009 12:18:48 PM »

I have received, huzzah! And it looks like I'll be making the official pictorial inauguration, so take a deep breath and put on your solemn faces as I cut the red ribbon on the gallery.

*snip*

Ok, on with the show!

hollywood suicide was a great partner, she sent me some really cool goodies! Her language for me was Swedish.

First up, some Swedish recipes that seem amazing:

hollywood suicide wrote the ingredients in Swedish and the instructions in English and included a list with the translations. I can't wait for the weekend, I want to try and make those, they look so good!

Next up, a pair of Richard Scarry's children picture books (please excuse the glare):

I love kid's picture books, they're a great learning tool - I've already learned a few words!  Grin

There's another great item she sent, a Winnie the Pooh dvd! It has Swedish dub and/or subs, so I can watch it with subs while still learning, and when I'm more confident, I can watch it dubbed:

The creature there is Mr. Felix, who believes it is his right to sit on whatever I place on the bed.
Pictured also are a very thoughtful postcard, chocolate and some pretty crazy candy. I have no idea what that is, but it's good! It tastes kinda salty at first, but then it gets sort of like licorice.

A group shot, sans monsieur le chat:

And that's it!

Thank you so much, hollywood suicide, you were great  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009 06:21:20 PM »

I have no idea what that is, but it's good! It tastes kinda salty at first, but then it gets sort of like licorice.

Ooooh, that sounds like salmiak. My boyf is a fiend for salmiak, but I can't quite learn to love it. I do like eating triple-salt licorice though, so he'll just have to accept that that's as far as I'll go. Oh - and apparently salmiak will grow on you, until you're rampaging through lolly shops muttering "Where's the salmiak?!? Where's the salmiak??", taking long drives halfway across the city to visit the IKEA food market and/or ordering it on line. Not, you know, that I've witnessed anyone do this.

You've gotten some lovely stuff there!! I love the recipes... though if it were I receiving recipes written in Swedish, I'd be straight to the kitchen to play "Swedish Chef" (bork bork bork!). Make up one of the recipes - tell us how it tastes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
LaundryBunny
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009 08:26:46 PM »

What pretty recipe cards!  And I'd completely forgotten about Richard Scary.

Yeah, now that I hear the Swedish Chef idea, I'm amazed it's not the first place my mind went.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009 10:59:06 PM »

@schnerby, yesterday i did 2 successful last items [and one unsuccessful, but it was an extra so ... blah].  anyway yours can be mailed like i said as soon as i get the car in the daytime.

No problemo.

I like the Sweedish recipes. It looks cool as a written language.

I'll be out of touch for a few days. I'm going wandering around the countryside to practice my Chinese on the unexpecting locals. As the member of my little touring party with the highest Chinese level the random babbling people get sent to me. It can be fun, although little girls who screech aren't fun in any language.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
LostInOz
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009 01:32:13 AM »

Recipe cards are cool! Although all I'm going to be able to think about when I see them now is Swedish Chef!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sofiushka
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009 05:21:59 AM »

Lol I didn't even think of the Swedish Chef! That's it, this weekend I'm getting my apron on and going "bork bork bork" all over my kitchen. I promise there will be pictures! (of the food)

Actually, what I thought of first was of Chef, from South Park, because one of the recipes is for chocolate balls. I spent quite a while after that humming the chocolate salty balls song afterwards  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009 08:52:06 AM »

Ok, I'm really grossed out...SALTED LICORICE?!  Not to mention TRIPLE salted.  *shudders*  I can't stand black licorice for some reason, and the thought of salting it....just goes to prove what I've said for a long time, that tastes in food are regional/cultural more than anything.  I'm quite sure there are things that I eat (or know people that eat) that would gross out 90% of the known world.  Another reason I love learning about other cultures, the odd things we eat and love...
To make it fair, since I did spaz about the licorice Wink  I've had a Koolickle and a pink pickled egg, two things most people find gross.  First, the Koolickle, you take a HUGE jar of whole dill pickles and dump out 1/2 of the liquid.  Then you make a few packets of Kool-Aid (powdered drink mix if someone's not familiar) only you make it 2 to 3 times normal strength.  Pour it into the pickle jar and leave it alone for a few days/weeks.  Congratulations, you've just made Koolickles.  Cheesy  And pickled eggs are pretty standard fare...they're made pink by the addition of the juice from pickled beets though.  Gotta love the American South!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009 09:43:23 AM »

@ HandsyMalone, do you also fry them?  pickles, i mean.

my top food surprise was finding out from many asians, that they strongly feel that cheese is not a food.  (of course there are exceptions).

now for the top things i thought sounded horrible in theory but they taste really great in reality... let's see... SNAILS (in olive oil and pesto - OMGosh Delicieux!!), BLOOD SAUSAGE (looks like turds, tastes better than regular sausage!), and then CHIGIRO (it's like an industrial sized southamerican guineapig.  tastes a little like really good mexican beef barbecue.  which is different from USA southern barbecue, but delicious in a similar way having to do with the texture of the meat.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009 01:11:12 PM by nataluna - Reason: figured out how to make a capital » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009 09:54:32 AM »

Of course I fry them! Lol, I'm Southern, pretty much EVERYTHING can be improved by frying Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gourd Gobbler Centerpiece
Rustic Holiday Flower Arrangement
How to Create Thanksgiving Centerpieces
Artist Creates Stunning Feather Art
How to Attach Binding Strips Onto a Quilt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...