A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is your method of choice for making faces? (On stuffies, that is)  (Read 706 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katiebread
« on: June 17, 2009 12:31:47 PM »

Making stuffies is a great way to use up scrap yarn, and I always love the outcome.  However, the assembly required is often a bit harrowing to me, especially when it comes to making the face.  The face dictates a lot of the personality of the critter, and off-kilter eyes are more noticeable than off-kilter arms or legs.  Most of the time you have to put the face on the stuffie before the head is completed, which makes it easy for me to get things off-kilter!  I've made roughly a dozen stuffies in my time and I'm still trying to work out my favorite method of doing faces, so I thought I'd ask around and see what others like!

1. How do you attach the facial components, in general?  Do you sew, embroider, needle-felt, glue, screw, etc?
2. What is your favorite material to use for eyes?  Safety eyes, felt, yarn, buttons, embroidery floss?
3. Do you have any tricks for ensuring that eyes and ears are symmetrical?  What are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009 03:13:50 PM »

Let me answer in a mixed up fashion:

2)  My favorite material for the eyes are safety eyes, then you don't have to worry if a child gets a hold of the item.

1)  If you are putting anything other than eyes on your stuffy (I don't always add more), then I would suggest embroidering the nose and mouth or you could use a safety nose.

3)  As for symmetry - I count the rows from the top of the head and make sure that the eyes go into the same row on each side of the face.  As for the ears, you can count also or just put them where it looks proper - ears can add character too and if they are a little 'off' that's okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChezMichelle
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009 05:02:22 PM »

I add safety eyes (of course ^.^) and then see where it goes from there.  Sometimes I embroider a nose or mouth or both, sometimes I don't depending on what seems to look right at the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebread
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009 07:32:55 PM »

Usually safety eyes don't do much for me, but those Suncatcher eyes are beautiful!  I've been needle-felting features onto my latest stuffies because I am trying to stash-bust and I don't have eyes, matching black buttons, or embroidery floss.  I have no idea how durable the felting is, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EssHaych
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009 08:21:18 AM »

I usually use safety eyes, though I also use them stick on googly eyes and felt sometimes. I make sure they're lined up on the same row to make sure they're symmetrical, although sometimes I like them to be odd. All depends on what I'm making  Grin
I don't usually add a mouth or nose, and if adding ears I like to line them up on the same row, like I do they eyes  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop: www.esshaych.etsy.c om
Blog: www.esshaych.blogsp ot.com
Wist: www.wists.com/EssHaych

SWAPS!
Little Visitor Round 12
Post Secrets 12

I've started collecting Postcards! If you would like to trade PM me! <3 Thankies!
itscribe
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009 06:33:40 PM »

I never use glue - hate it with a passion on a stuffie.

I typically use small crochet circles or ovals for the eyes. Sometimes I use a bead or button for the central part. If the face is big enough, I might add eyelashes with embroidery.

Noses vary from none to a stuffed half-circle shape. Dolls typically get an embroidered nose.

I've seen some stuffies lately where the eyes and ears are un-symmetrical and it kinda added a whole level of cuteness (when slightly off) and a touch of creepiness (greatly off).

Haven't used safetly eyes yet but plan to soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009 06:38:05 AM »

I always use safety eyes and felt. Embroidery is tricky for me so I try to steer clear off it unless I'm making something for a very small child.

to get eyes even I count my rows and I also use a long needle. I will poke the needle all the way through the face and readjust the sides till it it even then I mark with either a pen. or a fabric pencil/marker and put my eyes in.
Also if you can I've found it helps not to close the head before putting the eyes in. I go to the second to last row of decreases and then stuff, position my needle, mark the eyes, take the stuffing out and put the eyes in, then put the stuffing back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roz Savage Talks About Rowing the Atlantic
Meet Author Ruth Rendell
Tania James Talks About Atlas of Unknowns
Meet Author Marina Nemat
Nicolle Wallace Talks About Eighteen Acres
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...