A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are beads cheaper at bead fairs?  (Read 875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mikayyla
« on: June 17, 2009 10:44:25 AM »

There's a bead fair coming up in my town (Los Angeles) and I'm so excited!! Smiley  But I have no idea what to expect or what I should be aiming for when I go.

I'm wondering if the beads selling there are less expensive than online stores??  Should I take the opportunity to stock up on beads? Or are they just the same prices as online?

Any other "bead fair" advice for my first fair experience would be much appreciated....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009 10:56:45 AM »

I've only been to one bead fair (it was underwhelming, but we don't get many around here!). I remember there being special deals specific to the fair. And for things like stones, it's great, because you see exactly what you're getting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.co m - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.bl ogspot.com
hollystott
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009 03:15:06 PM »

Man I wish there were bead fairs where I live. From what I hear from others they have super good deals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009 10:33:49 AM »

Overwhelming is a great descriptor.  My first bead show was intimidating!  I went for to attend a class and then looked around.  I bought a couple of items, but at that point, I had no idea about costs.

My 2nd bead show was a little different, but there's so much to see.  I would look around the entire area before buying, though you have to judge this by how much time you have.  There were lots and lots of $2 and $3 strands.  After getting home, I noticed some flaws, but that's to be expected at this price.  This price is still good for a couple of flaws, though I declined to purchase some of the "cheap" beads.

I "tried" to think of things I already have and matching.  I saw some folks bringing in their beads, for matching purposes.  Now, I have lots of beads from the bead store and the $3 basket at  my local bead shop.  Hopefully, I can sell some.

thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
SoftFlexGuy
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009 11:13:29 AM »

We always have big discounts on beads and gemstones at the shows we do. For the general public and wholesale shoppers.

A good way to save money at a show is to shop with friends - spend a lot of money at one booth, between you and your friends and it is likely that you can talk the vendor into volume discounts. Also, the majority of vendors I have met tend to discount prices when you talk to them for a bit - be conversational and flattering and chances are they will cut you a deal or two.

If you have any friends in the beading industry, see if you can shop with them - they will probably be able to swing a little more discounting than a general public buyer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009 08:28:39 PM »

All the bead fairs I have been to have had show specials, but it is good to know your prices before you go - and get unit prices.  For example, one place may sell Delicas in 3 gm containers for one price, another sells them in 7.5 gm bags, and another place may sell them in 10 gm vials - so you can convert easily to see who has the best price.  I like going booth to booth to see what each one is offering before making my purchases, otherwise you can go nuts.  Set a budget too, and maybe go with an idea of what you want to make first.  Otherwise you can blow a lot of dough fast.  Last fair I went to, I think I spent $150 just on delicas.

Also, I like to cruise the sites of the exhibitors first.  Some of them, from my experience, if you want something off their site, you may be able to make an arrangement with them to bring it to the show for you to pick up and it saves you the shipping.  Also, that way you know their base price on items and if they are offering a deal on some supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Easter Bonnet
How to Make a Hand-Painted Tie for Father’s Day
How to Make a Ghost Costume
How to Hem Pants
How to Make a Sock Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...