A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pipboy! Hama/perler projects  (Read 8668 times)
Tags for this thread: template , perler_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2009 11:56:28 PM »

So, you get amazingly productive when you're without internet for a week (I snuck online now, 'cause, well, who can survive an entire week!!)

I present, in 64x64 "pixels", Pipboy from fallout!

He's made ALMOST entirely out of Hama beads. I ran out of red at the end, so the bottom row is every other hama and every other mystery-brand-beads.

Took me five hours, and I amused myself by taking in-progress pics.

Setup (With psych in the background)

Start with the outline, since that's the one easier to count...

Fill in as you go...

I edited the pixelated image here and there as I went to be more true to the original image, instead of following the template like a slave. The template wasn't perfect, but it made for good guidelines.

Starting to get a face here...

Hey, you can see who it is!

Almost "done"...

Now you can see that I didn't have enough pegboard for him!

I had 60x60 total by putting together four... and I'm missing the last 4 pixels in each direction!
Not to worry, we tape the back, flip him over, and flip him back on again

Repeat for the bottom, but now with three boards in a row to get it all at once...

(you can see it's gotten dark outside at this point Cheesy )

Really crappy cell phone pic of the boy in the press (four books I found in the bookshelf here)

Then we go to bed. And leave it for now. And eventually it's the day after!
Ahh what a beautiful day to be out far away from the city, makes you happy all the way to the tip of your tail

That scissor is looking very perverted, but it's not what it looks like, I swear!

And the final photo, identical to the first one (those thumbnails are in control of my picture-linking, gaaahhh!)

I tried messing with the hue and saturation to get the colors a bit better, but photobucket didn't quite want to fix the "skintone" for me Wink

What do you think? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009 12:23:32 AM »

thats awesome..........i love the pic you chose. and for the no internet......up until 3 days ago i was in the same postion. good luck with everything and make more awesome stuff!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
teaandcraft
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009 12:42:41 AM »

This looks really awesome!  I've never used hama beads before, but my fiance would *love* this ... you just might have inspired me to take up a new craft ...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009 02:18:02 AM »

That rocks!!!  My husband would LOVE it!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009 03:09:49 AM »

thanks!

I've never used hama beads before, but my fiance would *love* this ... you just might have inspired me to take up a new craft ...  Cheesy

it's very addictive once you get started - "real" pixel art is ideal for this, like the super mario stuff you see everywhere, and lemmings and commander keen and similar, because then you just go 1px=1 bead... For this I had to shrink the image a lot and posterize it - and I'm not good at it, which is why I was fixing up the pixels as I went Cheesy
but it's REALLY fun and satisfying, I urge everyone to try it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Radmom
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009 04:25:24 AM »

Love the work...Are these the same beads...that my kids use in their creature kits...and you have to use an iron to melt it altogether?

If so, is taping both sides another way of melting? Very curious. thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pupper

If buttons ever become currency, I will be rich

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009 06:13:02 AM »

Very nice!  I can tell you put alot of work into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarkingBandits

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/Pupper

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pupper/

I love swapping craft supplies!
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009 07:14:08 AM »

Love the work...Are these the same beads...that my kids use in their creature kits...and you have to use an iron to melt it altogether?

If so, is taping both sides another way of melting? Very curious. thanks

Yup, it's probably the same beads Cheesy I DID iron it, taping one side is just for moving the beads around. This helps if you want to lay the pattern right-way-up instead of mirroring (helps especially if you're working with text and you feel you want to adjust a pixel or two as you go - looking at the "final look" instead of a mirroring makes a lot of difference). If you lay the image un-mirrored and you want to show the side that is NOT ironed, you can use non-plastic tape and just tape up all the beads like in my pic, in an overlapping way... then you flip your work onto your ironingboard (or newspapers in my case..) and you get to iron the back of your work.

In the one image that looks mirrored, I've flipped it onto the tape side, and you can see the tape around the edges. You have to be real careful when taping though, 'cause if you slip and need to lift the tape, at least half of the beads under the tape will get lifted off, even if you've only just touched the beads with it... that happened for strip three, I just vaguely brushed against it and lifted ten beads or something Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookiemccool
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010 01:34:10 PM »

OMG I love it! You just inspired me to make a quickish christmas gift for my husband because I love working with perler beads! I think I will look for a smaller pic though, I also have 4 pegboards and don't want to have to overlap i'm sure that wasn't easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010 02:03:34 PM »

OMG I love it! You just inspired me to make a quickish christmas gift for my husband because I love working with perler beads! I think I will look for a smaller pic though, I also have 4 pegboards and don't want to have to overlap i'm sure that wasn't easy.

It actually wasn't too bad, but it did take some zen state of mind to fiddle with it Cheesy Nothing I could do now that I'm at home, full stress on! Wink Mainly it would have bugged me now because it was a mere four pixels off!

Good luck with your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Square Deal Hamburger Recipe
Cheddar Steak Sandwich Recipe
Basic Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Fresh Fried Corn Recipe
Jalapeno Cheddar Rice Casserole Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...