A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first 2 bags  (Read 1671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

t1g3rl1ly
« on: April 04, 2005 10:44:37 PM »

All you people here at Craftster have inspired me to start sewing a lot more. I did these two bags using a pattern from Simplicity and really liked the way they turned out. My fave is the orange and green one. I actually made it for my friend but had to go back and get more fabric to make my own.  Cheesy

Let me know if you like them.

I think next time I make one I'll put a pocket inside

« Last Edit: April 04, 2005 11:03:07 PM by t1g3rl1ly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005 05:37:17 AM »

The orange and green one is my favourite also, nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poohza

Look at life from all angles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005 05:37:56 AM »

those are really nice! I like the fabric a lot. so springy. what pattern was that? I have a ton of patterns I am cleaning through...I probably have this one..but they never look cool until you see one that someone really makes! great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poohza.typepad.com
cinnamonsnail.etsy. com
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005 07:56:54 AM »

what pattern was that?

This is Simplicity 5499. It's the only purse in the pattern - the rest are clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005 09:29:52 AM »

aww, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005 08:44:55 PM »

it's ridiculous that more people haven't commented on your purses, man! 
it's also ridiculous that i can't stop playing with the aboves above the comment box.   Embarrassed

anyway, where do you get your fabric?  i go to fabric stores and nothing appeals to me.  i even see patterns like your lining all the time and never know what goes with it.  hmm.  you have inspired me to whip out all those patterns i bought and didn't don't know how to use.   i should learn by golly!!  i am also in awe at the fact that those are your first two purses you've made.  they're champions--it seriously looks like you've been sewing for years and decades and centuries.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005 09:16:03 PM »

anyway, where do you get your fabric?  i go to fabric stores and nothing appeals to me.  i even see patterns like your lining all the time and never know what goes with it.  hmm. 

Right now I live near a Joann's fabric. I like a lot of their stuff. They have home decorator fabrics that I generally use for the outside of the bags. I like the CHEAP stuff for the lining - I interface everything too.

You said you never know what goes with what - my mom says I have a pretty good eye for coordinating fabrics, but it's just a matter of finding your outer fabric, then taking the bolt over to the regular cheap cotton stuff and looking around. Fabrics kind of jump out at me  Wink

In about a month and a half I'm moving back home and WE HAVE NO FABRIC STORES. OR CRAFT STORES for that matter. Sigh. Walmart is the only place - no joke. For crafts, Michael's is 45 minutes away, and Hobby Lobby is 45 minutes in the other direction. So lame. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005 12:18:50 PM »

In about a month and a half I'm moving back home and WE HAVE NO FABRIC STORES. OR CRAFT STORES for that matter. Sigh. Walmart is the only place - no joke. For crafts, Michael's is 45 minutes away, and Hobby Lobby is 45 minutes in the other direction. So lame.

any store is already a 25 minute haul for me simply b/c i'm in the middle of the ghetto in cincinnati--so i have to travel to the 'burbs to get anything.   
i suggest you stock up on some fabrics before you go.  i guess purses really do have to be fairly inexpensive to make. if you purchase what... like 24" of each fabric that would be big enough to make a purse, no?  i think the most expensive part are those ridiculously priced bamboo handles.  $6 at jo anne's!  i bought a few burlap bags with those handles attached on sale for $2, same exact handles. i figure i will just throw away the burlap.  they're cute, but i need handles for the purses i am going to pretend to make.  Grin

ok so tell me wise one, what is interfacing? is that the stuff that makes the lining and the outer fabric (or any two fabrics) stick together and help stiffen it before and during sewing?  my mom is 660 miles away and she is trying to teach me how to sew via telephone.  she told me about interfacing.

PS- i made this:

with highlighters, a sharpie, and some mailing labels.  aren't i talented? for shizzle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005 01:31:43 PM »

if you purchase what... like 24" of each fabric that would be big enough to make a purse, no?
Yeah 24" would be more than enough. I usually tend to overbuy, but if you get a pattern it will tell you exactly how much to buy.

ok so tell me wise one, what is interfacing?
There is sew-in interfacing and iron-on interfacing. I like the iron-on kind. You just iron it onto the wrongside of your fabrics and it helps make the fabric more sturdy.

PS- i made this:

Your talent is astonishing. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lyla
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005 05:06:06 PM »

I actually got linked here through your post on the myspace group. hahahaha!!

I had to see your purses.

They rock!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating Graffiti Art
How to Paint Reflections
Landscape Painting Techniques
Plein-Air Landscape Painting
How to Make a Composition in Your Painting
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...