A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinup girls in glass  (Read 3343 times)
Tags for this thread: pinup  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grenouille78
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009 02:23:12 PM »

Thanks! Wow, I think that's the first time I've been wisted.  Kiss

For the stencil: I found the images online. My criteria was finding pictures that would translate well into a "two-tone" image -- no "acessories." For example, there was one picture that I liked, but the girl was obviously sitting on a deck chair and there was no way to take the chair out without making her look really awkward. So I scrapped that one in favor of a more simple picture. Copied the pictures and then put it in black and white and erased all the scenery from around the subject.

Then I used the edging feature on plain ol' Photo Editor to give a more definitive outline. This is what I printed out:

Taped it to the inside of the glass and then used fabric paint to draw around her and fill in the areas I didn't want etched. But I can't take any credit for this idea! Like I said before, I really studied the other posts and then used this technique as Onyxnox described on her post and in more detail on her blog. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=282543.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarabgu
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009 09:00:30 PM »

sign me up for those tutes right away because now i want to etch everthing in my apartment including the cats...any ideas???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Top of the latke to ya!
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009 05:56:11 PM »

Well, done, they look fantastic!

I am also preparing for my first foray into glass etching and have also been reading allL the glass etching posts on this forum.  Hope my first try turns out as well as yours did.

PS:  did you use armour etch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grenouille78
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009 08:38:55 PM »

Well, done, they look fantastic!

I am also preparing for my first foray into glass etching and have also been reading allL the glass etching posts on this forum.  Hope my first try turns out as well as yours did.

PS:  did you use armour etch?

Thanks!

Yes, I did use Armour Etch. That was the only option! Michael's carried two sizes (don't remember quantity, sorry). I was nervous since it was my first time and got the big bottle (gack! expensive! Thank goodness for coupons), but totally could have gotten away with the small one. Now I have a lifetime supply of glass etching compound! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HowdySailor
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009 06:39:52 AM »

Holy crap! These are amazing. I'd totally buy a whole set!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009 08:01:54 PM »

These are sweet! I also just had my first foray into this craft, thanks to the tute you quotes I think (was it the one with the unicorns?) and bought the BIG bottle of Armour Etch (20$!). I see why it costs that much, though, considering how little it takes and how many uses you can get out of it.

Photographing them was difficult for me too. I even tried hanging fabric in front  a light to try to defuse it and that didn't work... Best for me was waiting until night and then doing the photo without the flash in front of a darker colored wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
steph blue

good people make stuff

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009 02:11:43 PM »

unbelievable!  I love the faces!  Wonderful job!  Did you really say it was your first time etching!  holy crap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cait185
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009 10:49:37 AM »

amazing job on these! i always cut out stencils from contact paper with an exacto knife when i etch glasses. fabric paint would make life so much easier...i'll have to give it a shot next time. great work, and i can't believe that was your first attempt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladynebt
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009 07:11:23 AM »

Cool!   Did you use a stencil?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grenouille78
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009 10:38:16 AM »

Thanks, everybody.

Ladynebt -- I explain how I did it at the top of page 2.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best and Worst Dressed: Critics Choice Movie Awards 2014
Margot Robbie Rocks Black Pant Suit at Critics Choice Movie Awards
Boxy Coats for Every Body Type
Win A Pair of $195 Sheepskin Boots
How to Style Winter Boots!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...