A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: covering a dressform (with clarification)  (Read 13563 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009 06:52:04 PM »

this is so insanely cool! i am going to have to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009 10:36:52 AM »

your form is awesome! but I am thrilled you posted how you covered it more than the form itself. I have a old dress form that I inherited from my grandmother who got it from her mother/aunt/something? any who it's adjustable but the fabric covering it is starting to get worn out. It's not really dry rotting just tears very easily and you can tell it didn't do this previously.
also I rarely re-adjust it since I'm the only one that uses it so I'd really like to cover it to hide the gaps in between the adjustable parts. It can go from much smaller than my 36 bust/hips, to larger than my mothers xxl figure. But this causes space between the parts that move and I hate draping fabric on it as it falls in the gaps and then my pattern or dress is not accurate anymore!
You're idea to use undershirts is also very practical and clever! I'm going to use the shirts I've saved from hubby as they are totally good just pit stained and it looks like you cut the shirt just below that point in your pictures.
Thanks for posting your project! I'm so excited to have a remedy to my problem!

and my honey said no, that's how my body really is
Well, if your husband says that your shoulders have always been like that then I believe that you may have scoliosis. It usually occurs in young teenage females from constant poor posture during their growing years and the vertebrae grows crooked. After the age of about 22, after you're fully grown, it doesn't do anymore damage. It's nothing bad! Do not worry! There are LOTS of people that don't even know they have it. But I'm only a student nurse. My diagnosis is sketchy at best.  Undecided You can google "scoliosis test" and check it out yourself.  Embarrassed
I'm one of those born with scoliosis, so it can occur from birth too. Mine is worsened with improper: posture/sleeping/walking etc. I visit my chiropractor as often as I can afford since mine does bother me a lot.
I probably should have worn a brace when I was young but I don't even know that that would have helped much since my spine has a curve and twist to it. (thus nearly constant pain in my back in some area or another)
The chiropractic care is about the only thing that gives me relief in any form. And usually an adjustment will help for about a month or to unless I do something to make it really bad. (sit funny, sleep funny, lift/move something I shouldn't etc.)

My uncle has one shoulder higher than the other due to scoliosis and his doesn't bother him at all. Perhaps not as bad as mine. He has all his suits and things tailored and has to add shoulder pads to one side to make them even.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizabethsmommy
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009 11:14:45 PM »

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Two years ago my husband helped me make a dress form out of duct tape. I still have it. But, I have a large rear end, and that caused me probelms on the form. When I stuffed it, the stomach poofed and the butt is flat. So I have a semi-pregnant (4month) dress form. The measurements are right- LOL. So, I am definately going to take it apart and use the foam! If I do it in two halves I can get it right and shave where I need! This is so wonderful! You've got a keeper in a husband! Also, I have the smae problem with my pins getting gummed up and sticking into the dress ofr. I can't wait to get started- 24 hour Walmart here I come, just kidding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010 02:30:21 PM »

ok, i know i'm bumping this up, but i just found it and it's awesome! i was worrying that mine (full figure) would end up too heavy and my dh was pondering how to build me a stand - dh's are great!

also good to know about covering one with tees.
Thankyou!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tarriknits
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010 02:58:42 PM »

Thanks for this. This has helped me in 2 ways.
one i need a replacement for my previous duct tape form which slowely collapsed and then got thrown out when i moved. foam will be sturdier.
two, we are looking at ways of making good moulds for making cuirbolli (hardened leather armour). resin is one option but now i have expanding foam as another to play with!

and i like the idea of the T-shirt coverin. I found that the edges of the duct tape would peel a little or would be to rough for some of the fine fabrics like silk or conversly the rough fabrics like linen which would snag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyeofra
Crafty McCraftster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010 02:59:52 PM »

Yours turned out so much better than mine!!! I used the expandable foam method and ended up using 5 cans! I let my layers dry in between as well, it took almost a week to finish. I also used PVC pipe and it worked great. My boyfriend drilled a huge hole down into the torso and just stuck in the pipe. A few weeks later she got a bit lumpy for some reason. The waist isn't the same size anymore and the boobs deflated a bit, so I don't use her much anymore. My boyfriend even shot her with the air soft gun! He thought it was funny, I did not. So now she just stands against the wall and wears the cowboy hat. But she is such a GREAT conversation peice I can't bear to get rid of her.
I would like to make another one that I can actually work with. What kind of expanding foam did you use? And how many rolls of tape did you use? I thought we had 3 rolls at home but it turns out we only had 2. Maybe that why she got lumpish. Hmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mothdust
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010 02:11:51 PM »

ooh man that's a good idea. I'd like to make one including a head, would be SO useful for hoodies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PheonixLament
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010 02:52:09 PM »

Note to self:  don't let your kids pick out the tape color... my dressform is a lovely shade of teal.  I would have prefered the white.. but my kids said it was a boring color.  Oh well.

Omg, I want a teal dress form! thats awesome. The only duct tape we have lying around is bright freaking yellow. Hellooo, spray paint Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellianneeee
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010 06:42:20 PM »

Another way to recover it is using this spray glue stuff. My dad and I recovered the headliner in my first car (man I miss that car) and we just used this glue that you spray on, let it sit for a minute, then press the fabric on and let it dry. Doing it that way would probably be easier since there won't be any seams on your dress form. Word of caution though, you should probably spray the glue outside or it can and will get EVERYWHERE.
I think I may have to steal your method for a dress form though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
Gallifrey
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010 07:05:05 AM »

Sweet!!  I've had a few rolls of purple duct tape in my giant box o'craft stuff to make a dress form, just haven't gotten around to it.  So glad I procrastinated, as this idea sounds even better Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Scarf
How to Crochet a Flower
How to Crochet a Bag
How to Crochet a Beanie
How to Crochet a Baby Blanket
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...