A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: covering a dressform (with clarification)  (Read 12939 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2009 10:50:55 AM »

So I told my husband that I'd like help making a duct tape dressform.  He looked at some of the info I had bookmarked and said sure.  But he had a better idea of how to do it.  We went through the standard procedure, but with a garbage sack under the tape.

So after he cut off the duct tape form and slathered the inside with vaseline, he used it as a mold to contain expanding-foam insulation.  He even put a T frame of pvc pipe in it so it could be put on a stand.

Making a dressform of yourself is certainly one way of discovering your body flaws.  Yes, appearently on of my shoulders is higher than the other.  In fact, most of me seems to be off-kilter.

A few months later, after my son complained about "that thing standing around naked," I got around to covering it.  I used a couple of old undershirts for the fabric because they were thin, stretchy, and available.

Most of the cover was shaped by pinning while on the form, then basting, trying back on for fit, then serging.

To fit the bust, I cut the cover off a couple of inches underneath it.  Then I split up the center.  I made horizontal darts, then closed the split, and added darts vertically up from the bottom edge.

It was at this point that I realized that fitting it inside-out wasn't good.  Because when I turn it right-side-out the shoulder fitted to the right side would be on the left shoulder, and on down the line.  But I decided to press on and trust to the virtues of stretchy knits.  (That'll probably come back and bite me in the butt later--which is probably also lop-sided.)

I added a dart up the back.  Finally I added the middrift section, which I also shaped to fit the hips.  I'm going to run a cord through the hem at the bottom, so I can cinch it in tight.
It's not pretty, or level/plumb/straight.  But it's just the form and cover, not a dress.

EDIT:  I've added clarification of how my husband used the expanding foam and the duct tape "mold."  It's at the bottom of page 2.  (I was so proud of how I figured out how to cover the dressform, but more people are interested in how he made it.  I'm cool with that.)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009 07:31:46 AM by dulcet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
starryeyes11

you are an important part of the computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009 11:22:10 AM »

Awesome idea!  How many cans of the foam insulation did it take?  I am glad I haven't done my dress form yet, this might be the better way to do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Muffin
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009 11:31:03 AM »

That was a good idea to use the foam; my duck tape dress form ended up way bigger than I was!

I think the lop sidedness just comes from how you stand (and start to slouch) while being taped up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hikeaddict
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 11:33:04 AM »

First of all, that is awesome. It's so cool that you did this yourself instead of shelling out a bunch of money for one that won't be as exact as this one. Secondly, your husband deserves some serious praise for getting in on this project with such great ideas. I love when the significant others get involved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heatherweather33
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009 12:41:51 PM »

That is pretty frickin' sweet! I love your improvisation!

If I made one like that, and lost weight, I could just cut/sand away where I lost the weight from... You've made the tiny wheels in my head start turning!

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE MORE!
NickyDee

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009 02:10:59 PM »

This isa great idea, I've wanted one for ages and been putting it off because they are so expensive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009 04:36:03 PM »

My husband says he's already got ideas for how to do the next one better.  I'll have to ask him what they are.  He used two cans of foam.  The first time he moved it around too much and it all collapsed, so he had to redo it.  I don't know that this way is any better than just stuffed duct tape, since I haven't tried that way to compare.  But my philosophy is "it's better than nothing!"

And it's not just a slouch, unfortunately.  I said something like that when I first saw the foam dummy, and my honey said no, that's how my body really is.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014 11:52:26 AM by dulcet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
JBear
The Sewing Shinigami

Action packed, adventure-funess in every bite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009 07:11:12 PM »

and my honey said no, that's how my body really is

Well, if your husband says that your shoulders have always been like that then I believe that you may have scoliosis. It usually occurs in young teenage females from constant poor posture during their growing years and the vertebrae grows crooked. After the age of about 22, after you're fully grown, it doesn't do anymore damage. It's nothing bad! Do not worry! There are LOTS of people that don't even know they have it. But I'm only a student nurse. My diagnosis is sketchy at best.  Undecided You can google "scoliosis test" and check it out yourself.  Embarrassed

Anywho, using expanding foam to make a dress form is genius! I may have to try this one day instead of buying a $100 dress form.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stay connected!

Blog | Etsy | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter
CaityBear
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009 08:44:54 PM »

Adorable.

If I had help I would've made my own, but I have nobody at home to help me so I convinced my mom to buy me one off Ebay. Not a bad price. I got it today and I started using it in about 20 minutes. haha

Props for making your own though. And your hubbie for the help. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009 09:26:05 PM »

I like the trash bag idea... I wouldn't have had to ruin an old shirt and shorts if I had thought of that.  But I didn't bother with the vaseline.  I just taped seam back together and filled it all with the foam and combo of newspaper.  It came out really good, but the foam seemed to have increased the actual size a bit.  Either that or I have lost weight, but I don't think so.  Note to self:  don't let your kids pick out the tape color... my dressform is a lovely shade of teal.  I would have prefered the white.. but my kids said it was a boring color.  Oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - Creating Beach Hair Style
How to Do a Simple Back to School Hairstyle
The Monday Makeover - Disco Heat
How to Style the Perfect Top Knot
How to Do a Miley Cyrus Hair Style
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...