A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help with Ruffliness  (Read 1698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

polutechnos
« on: June 14, 2009 03:15:16 PM »

Heyo,

I've been sewing like an old lady who missed bingo night lately. I've got this black fabric and these awesome zippers (I think it's cotton, possibly poly/cotton or cotton/linen blend; smooth and slightly shiney) I want to use to make a tiered ruffly skirt. A rara for all intensive purposes. I did a trial run with a white cotton with tiny polkadots, buuuut I couldn't get it to ruffle properly.

Ideas of what I'm looking for:
From Urban Outfitters
http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/Victorian-Skirt/invt/5120422510225&bklist=

http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/Renewal-Floral-Rara/invt/5414421343303&bklist=icat,5,shop,womens,womensclothing,skirtsshorts

How do I make the awesome that is ruffle? I tried a number of techniques I'd seen in tutorials and what not, but perhaps it was just the fabric I was using.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009 03:16:42 PM by polutechnos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009 11:53:51 PM »

How are your ruffles not working exactly? Are they not full enough? Cotton, if not very thick (which I doubt yours was too thick), should ruffle quite well. If it's not looking exactly like those pictures, but you do get a ruffle, it might just be the fabric. The black skirt needs a relatively thin fabric, and the other one looks slightly slinky (not stretchy, but not something that could hold a crease... the term for this escapes me right now).

This is probably what you've already read in tutorials but to make a ruffle, if you don't have a ruffle foot, you stitch a line inside the seam allowance (I usually do 1/4 in. or 1/2 cm from the edge) at the longest straight stitch setting your machine has. Don't lock your stitches when you start or finish and leave a long enough tail to get hold of the thread. Then pull one of the threads so the fabric gathers, spread the gathers as evenly as you can, and stitch it on carefully to the waistband/previous tier. If the ruffle isn't full enough you probably need a longer piece of fabric.

Also, for a skirt like the black one, usually the bottom most ruffle doesn't attach at the same spot as the top ruffle (as in, it's not double the length so it sticks out), which gives a different look. There is a strip underneath the first ruffle that the bottom ruffle is attached to so that the gathering on the bottom ruffle is visible. The second skirt looks to be one shorter ruffle one longer, attached at the same seam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polutechnos
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009 08:49:46 AM »

Thank you! The white fabric I tried with wasn't very thick, but what was happening is that it would ruffle right near the stitches but about 2" down from that it would go flat. Perhaps this fabric is just too stiff. I'll see if I can put your help to good use!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 10:22:13 AM »

It does sound a bit stiff. Sometimes it gets better after a wash or steam since it gives the fabric a chance to kind of set in its new ruffly position, so you could try that too (if you don't have a vertical steamer, you can try hanging it in a steamed up bathroom during/after a hot shower).
good luck with your skirt! I love ruffles  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ronillebest
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009 04:59:21 PM »

From what I can see, at least from the second picture, these ruffles are not just made by straight pieces of fabric. To me, it looks like a big circle, imagine a circle skirt with a MUCH bigger hole, gathered into ruffles, creating volume both from the gathering and the fact the fabric is bigger on the "lower" end. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polutechnos
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009 12:37:34 PM »

I think you're right about that, ronillebest. I've made a couple other skirts trying some things out, but haven't gone for the ruffly one yet. I've never made a circle skirt, but it's a good a time as any to learn. My future mother-in-law gave me this dress to recon, and the fabric is perfect for a light and ruffly mini.

Thanks again for the help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing Birds in Song
Attracting Birds to Your Garden
Setting up a Pond for Garden Bird Photography
How to Photograph Garden Birds
Dragonfiles Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...