A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Vogue Wedding Dress  (Read 28717 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , wedding_dress , vintage , featured_project , party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patchyemm
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2009 11:19:39 PM »

That's absolutely stunning.  I love the fabrics, and the colours, and the buttons, and the shape... it's all just beautiful.  Absolutely (I really can't emphasise this enough) beautiful.  Totally 'rocks'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LSTinVA
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2009 11:50:07 PM »

Absolutely stunning!  You should feel proud of your beautiful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaeden
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2009 11:58:36 PM »

Also, how was that pattern to sew?  Did you have to do any serious alterations?  I love the big full skirt vintage dresses since I have an hourglass figure with a LARGE rear end, and it helps to only have to adjust waist up lol!  Did the pattern look easy to alter for a large bust and smaller waist?

I've been keeping my eye on this pattern for a possible anniversary dress pattern. Cheesy

Lovely pattern to sew up, I really enjoyed it. I barely had to make any adjustments really. I added a couple of cm's to the mid section to accomodate a long body, and I did end up altering the shoulders very slightly, oh and adding 1.5cm to the centre back bodice to make sure the brides underwear didn't show...the back is very low.
I didn't bother with bound buttonholes as suggested in the pattern, but went for machine sewn. I figured when the pattern was written originally in 1954 no one sewing at home had one step buttonhole functions on their machines, so bound would be their best option, mine was machine sewn.

ETA, it's really easy to make a full bust adjustment too, I used the pattern pieces as a starting point to make a nightgown for myself, and had to add a couple of cms to the top bodice length plus slash and spread the pattern to add in more gathers to accomodate a larger bust. Saying that though, it works well up to approx an E cup, I'm a H cup, and I made the nightgown larger for breastfeeding.

Thank you so much for all the sweet comments, I really do appreciate them. the dress is now hung up in it's dress cover waiting to be picked up today.
I'll post modelled pics after the wedding with the brides permission.

Love Jeanette
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009 01:59:51 AM by indiaeden » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoying being Mummy to two girls and two boys.
My crafty blog www.lazyseamstress.blogspot.com
magical_otter
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2009 05:16:35 AM »

Wow, really gorgeous dress, well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amiemoo
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2009 05:56:01 AM »

The dress is absolutely stunning, you did an amazing job!  Thank you so much for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whyislife
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2009 06:18:49 AM »

wowowowowow  Shocked Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfaerie
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2009 06:57:37 AM »

Thanks Jeanette, your comments on the pattern really helped me!  I think I might get this next time vogue patterns are on sale at the store. Cheesy

The bride will love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2009 06:58:29 AM »

Personally, I think it's gorgeous, and as long as the two of  you talked ahead of time when you were picking out fabric and patterns then she'll know what to expect. And even if she doesn't, I see no reason for her not to like it!

Also, don't be nervous about what her sister and the rest of her family thinks. Fashion designer or not, different people have different tastes all the time. My younger sister and I have completely differant styles, so even if I spent thousands of dollars on the PERFECT dress for me, my sister would still hate it! She may or may not like the dress itself, but as long as her sister is happy on her wedding day, that's what's going to matter!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nagelbagel
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009 08:56:26 AM »

GORGEOUS.
 Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcake87
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2009 09:03:29 AM »

This is beautiful!! you should be very proud!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Organic Haircare by Demetris Potamianos
Ideas for Hair Accessories
Couture Hair Extensions
3 Hair Oils That Will Give You the Softest, Shiniest Hair
Create a Headband Braid in 5 Easy Steps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...