A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ruched waistband for the Infinity dress tutorial- for those who have never sewn  (Read 11534 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cherry_blossom55
« on: June 13, 2009 01:00:36 PM »

I am posting this for PepsiTwist, who has requested a very detailed description of how to make a ruched waistband for the infinity dress.

Step 1)  Okay, first you need your measurements. measure your waist, and divide the measurement in half, then decide how wide you want the waistband to be. (i like 4-6 inches)

Cut out two rectangles which measure as follows: the long side should be half of your waist measurement, minus 1-2 inches so that it's snug, since you are using a stretch fabric. The short side should measure your desired width PLUS seam allowance, about 1 inch extra. (piece A in the image)

then cut 2 more rectangles using the same waist measurement as the first two, but multiply your short-side measurement by 2 or 3. (by 2 will be slightly ruched, by 3 will be much more so, i suggest doing at least one practise version of your waistband so you know how ruched you like it.) (piece B in the image)

Step 2) Take the B pieces and sew (using a long stitch with loose tension) along both edges (not the side that is your waist measurement!!) of each piece. then pull the thread at one side, holding the other end in place. push the fabric toward the end you are holding steady, creating a ruched effect.

Step 3) Take one A piece and one B piece and sew them together along the top edge using a regular stitch at normal tension. (indicated by the coloured line in the image)

Step 4/5) Flip over piece B to the other side of piece A.

This hides your stitches, and it should look like this from the side:

make sure to do this for both pairs of rectangles.

Step 6) Press the top edge if you can so that it isn't rounded looking like in my image. I drew it like that so that it's easier to see. Smiley  Now take your attached pieces and lie them flat. line up the bottom edges.  if B does not reach the bottom of A, loosen the ruching to make it wider. if B is longer than A, tighten the ruching to make it narrower. when they are the same length, pin in place, making sure the ruching is fairly uniform, and then stitch using a regular stitch at regular tension. (lines of stitching indicated by coloured lines)

Step 7) When you have both halves sewn together, lie them on top of one another making sure that the B sides are facing each other. pin in place, and sew along the edges (indicated by the coloured lines)

Step 8 ) turn inside out so that the smooth A sides will lie against your body and the ruched side face out. Now your waistband can be attached to the straps and skirt of your infinity dress. notice that the bottom edge is left raw while the top edge has been turned inside and sewn (in steps 3,4,5) the nicer looking edge should be at the top because it will be seen at your back where the straps are not attached, but the bottom edge can be sewn under when attaching the skirt and will then be hidden.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PepsiTwist
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009 09:05:40 PM »

Wow that was very detailed and retard approved!!  Grin Thanks bunches, I think I'm ready to venture out and try it tonight!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meganlorraine
-Meg

Do what you like: Like what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011 02:29:15 PM »

Excellent tut! Thanks a bunch. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need bottle cap earrings with pictures of my kitty. Will swap anything for them!!!!!!

Pinterest- http://pinterest.com/meganlorraine/

I love personal swaps and would love some help making quilt squares. Let me know if you're interested!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stitch A Duvet Cover
How to Create Cushion Covers
How to Create Bed Valance
How to Darken a Room Using Curtains
How to Make Your Own Insulated Curtains
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...