A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help making a pattern  (Read 1025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yola
« on: June 13, 2009 04:11:15 AM »

A lot of help, really.

I started crocheting a few months ago, but I can't seem to get a hang of pattern-making. But I would love to make my boyfriend a blanket made out of tiles of a game he plays.

On the link below you can see what it looks like. Basically, there are 56 hexagonal tiles with different coloured lines. I'm having a lot of trouble to figure out how I'm supposed to crochet a hexagon (I know, I'm dumb!) and can't even begin to think about the coloured lines without my brain trying to escape through my ears.

I know it's a lot to ask, but maybe one of you talented people can help me out? I'd be eternally grateful and might even consider offering you the soul of my first-born child (etc).

At least check out the game. It's called Tantrix and seems to be a lot of fun if you're not me (I just can't get the hang of it). Happy to have found some of you a new way of procrastinating Wink

What the game looks like:
https://www.spellenwinkel.com/shop/images/unbranded-tantrix-game-pack.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EssHaych
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009 07:28:14 AM »

There's this video on Youtube about how to make a hexagon; but there are holes in the corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2fjlmjzgIs

There's also this tutorial which is slightly different Smiley

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2008/11/hexagon-crochet.html

Hope that helps abit Cheesy

Looks like a cool game, btw! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop: www.esshaych.etsy.c om
Blog: www.esshaych.blogsp ot.com
Wist: www.wists.com/EssHaych

SWAPS!
Little Visitor Round 12
Post Secrets 12

I've started collecting Postcards! If you would like to trade PM me! <3 Thankies!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009 08:19:07 AM »

Here's how I made hexagons:

ch 3
Rnd 1: 11 dc in 3rd ch from hook, join with a slst to the top of the ch3
Rnd 2: ch 2 (counts as a dc), dc into base of that ch, 2dc in each st, join. (24 stitches)
Rnd 3: ch 2 (counts as a dc), 2 dc into base of that ch, 1 dc in next 3 sts, *3dc in next st, 1 dc in next 3 sts* repeat until you get all the way around, join (36 stitches, 6 3dc groups evenly spaced).

For all following rounds: 3dc in the middle st of the 3dc group of the previous round, 1 dc in all other stitches. Each round the stitch count increases by 12.

For the coloured lines, I'd probably crochet those separately and then sew them on.

Here's a blanket I made using that pattern:

I did a round of sc as a border on each of them, but mostly only because the game the blanket is based on has a thin border around each of the hexes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yola
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 03:24:56 AM »

EssHaych, thanks for the links! I'm making granny hexagons like crazy now to get some practice.

fantasticmio, thanks! I'll try your method as soon as I get home. Just wanted to say I love the Catan blanket. It's brilliant. Makes me want to play again Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yola
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009 01:59:07 PM »

So, tried making a hexagon and it actually looks hexagonal. That's a first! But how do you avoid all those holes? Am I crocheting too loosely?

Second, how do you sew on crochet without it becoming one big mess? I tried google, but can't find it.

Thanks in advance (again) to anyone who can help me out!

edit: I already found out what I was doing wrong to create more holes than necessary. The other question is still standing Wink
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009 02:06:49 PM by Yola » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009 12:48:03 PM »

So, you're trying to embroider fairly thick wiggly lines on the black hexagons? How about making lengths of chain, or chain & sc, and sewing them on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yola
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009 01:38:33 PM »

So, you're trying to embroider fairly thick wiggly lines on the black hexagons? How about making lengths of chain, or chain & sc, and sewing them on?

That's what I think would be the best way to do it. But I can't find out how I should sew a crochet chain on without it becoming a big mess  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009 01:41:31 PM »

I would try a matching embroidery floss or thread and sew just a bit in from the edge.  For example, if you did a base chain with some sc or dc along it for the lines, you could sew under the v's on top of the stitches and just above the base chain.

I'm not sure how tricky it would be to not let the thread show up on the back side, but I'd try it and see how it goes.  I don't think it would be a hugely bad thing if it did show up, though, as long as your stitching was neat.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

whitestar
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009 02:43:03 PM »

Rather than try to sew a chain onto your crochet, why not just slip stitch directly onto the surface? Here's a page that gives instructions and has several examples of the technique I'm talking about.
http://www.geocities.com/mwillsondesigns/SlipStitch/slipstitch.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quilting Tips and Techniques
How to Resize Quilt Blocks
Freestyle Piecing to Make Original Quilt Blocks
How to Make a Metallic Chevron Serving Tray
How to Make Easy Fabric Floral Brooch
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...