A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mean teachers didn't like my rich opulent applique embroidery!  (Read 6587 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009 12:34:39 PM »

I think in a class like yours it must be hard because there is no "right and wrong", but their opinon of it.

I think yoru teacher is nuts.  LOL  I love this piece!!!  It is amazing!!

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009 01:32:28 PM »

It seems there are teachers that are on power trips rather than true mentors as the are supposed to be. I am a 42 have been in and out of school since I was 19 most of that has been for different types of art. I find the work beautiful, and I also understand what a critique is. That did not sound like a critique. Please, with your work as beautiful as it is, do not let a couple of jerks to dissuade you from furthering your skills.

Edit: By the way, if you wanted to add only a bit to the face you could work the lost and found technique as in drawing, and to add some interest to the "bare" area away from the face with maybe just a butterfly, again playing up the eyes for spots, to balance the space. Minimal and it would give some interest and it would not drive you too mad with the effort.

Tomico
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009 02:02:51 PM by tomico » THIS ROCKS   Logged
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009 02:33:44 PM »

I'm thinking that I'll talk to the teachers about the possibility of transferring to a different major, as I'm not sure I'll be able to work to the demands of textiles. I'm a jack of all trades, and probably better at drawing/painting than I am at sewing so a switch to printmaking and drawing won't be too bad at all.

Girl, if you're ready to transfer to a different major because of one snarky comment, then you had no business choosing that major in the first place! Maybe this was a blessing in disguise, it got you out of there before you spent your time studying for a career you aren't passionate about. Then again... textiles could lead you to a tangible career, whereas "drawing" as a major isn't really going to prepare you for life after college... unless you want to be a professional drawer. Not much money to be made there unless you're one of the lucky few.

Art is subjective. I love your piece, I think it's gorgeous. But not everyone will like everything you do. No matter what major you transfer to, there are going to be people with negative critiques. Toughen up that skin of yours!

For what it's worth, looking back at a lot of the projects I did in art school, I often thought my professors were wrong... but they seldom were. Next time you get a negative critique, ask for suggestions on what you could improve. "What could I have done to make this look complete? What would you like to see me change for next time?" You don't have to follow their advice, but you should still listen to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009 02:40:22 PM »

I think natashafatales comment is just what I wanted to say to you too but couldn't find the right words for.  Embarrassed Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009 05:44:23 PM »

Beautiful!  It's pretty ridiculous that you got negative reviews.  I thought art was supposed to be open ended!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009 06:03:41 PM »

Cry Screw your sad and pathetic teachers....this piece is fabulous and beautiful as well as creative and interesting. Sometimes jealous people hurt people with catty remarks in order to make themselves feel better instead of offering constructive criticism...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009 06:20:59 PM »

i showed this to my step dad who is a media arts and graphic designer at mcmaster university. he said "oh my god, thats so flippin amazing" he then read the story and doesnt understand why on earth your teachers would say that.

my advice would be stick with what your doing if you enjoy (try not to think of the teachers..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
iamdolleyes
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009 09:20:38 PM »

i really like this

as a sculpture (art) major who took a textiles (design) course, i have to say i understand this commentary from the teacher as a difference between an art stream major and a design stream major. i might be rambling here, and your mileage may vary (obviously) but as an example...my 'intro to textiles' course was full of people starting sentences with " <noun> represents......... .." whereas i would never ever ever ever hear anything resembling that statement in one of my installation/sculpture courses..... i thought that there would not be such a difference, at least in my school, but to that particular professor i guess there was. i came at everything from a different perspective, and the design professor just didn't 'get' it at all. it might lighten the blow if you think about the intrinsic differences between art and design..i see what you did as an experimental textile ART piece... if your professor is a textile DESIGNER..in a design program..then it's not always going to translate to her. and that's ok. if you love it, do it. you will find where you want to go

if you don't love it, find what you love. art school is too demanding (and expensive) to waste time doing something that doesn't click for you in my opinion..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"
just_gemz

It's raining sunshine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009 11:31:54 PM »

awwwwwwww! i think your work is amazing!!!!!
textiles which is art is finished WHEN YOU SAY IT IS!!!!
Sad i think it's amaaazing and props to you for having the dedication to do it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilymaid7
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009 01:23:14 AM »

Occasionally, in any field, you get a bad professor.  I would suggest taking classes from another professor if there are any available.  If you still do less well than you'd rather, perhaps you should consider changing your major then.

Honestly, I like the piece.  I agree with what a few people have pointed out and agree they maybe didn't like all the negative space in the corner.

While critique is always useful, comments about how you don't belong in your major are less than professional.  I would listen to the comments that you can actually can apply to your work and avoid taking classes from people like that if at all possible.  I think you'll find most professors will be willing to help you if they aren't pleased with your work.

I also think that in any arty sort of field, criticism can be more emotionally difficult because the things we make are so much a part of ourselves.  I do think it gets easier over time, however, and you can learn to look at your work in a more detached fashion.

I say give it a bit longer.  The problem is, with anything you study you might encounter a professor who does not do his or her job correctly and changing your field of study might not mean you avoid that problem.  On the other hand, if you took textiles classes from people who were helpful and gave you sound advice and useful criticism, I think you might find it very rewarding in the end.

Your piece is creative and interesting.  You seem comfortable with different stitches and things and it seems competently done.  The colours and textures are yummy.  I'm pretty sure you don't suck at it. Smiley  You might just have to change things a wee bit here and there to please your professor, sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
How To Cover a Pimple
Elizabeth Banks Reads an Embarrassing Confession
Robin McGraw’s Surprise
Revelation Makeover Reveal
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...