A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mean teachers didn't like my rich opulent applique embroidery!  (Read 6569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009 08:37:56 PM »

I'm going into my senior year studying fibers/textiles...It's pretty, but "pretty" doesn't cut it in university, really. It does look unfinished and unbalanced, and well, 'crafty,' which, trust me, is a dirty word if you end up going to school for textiles.  Experimentation is incredibly important, and while teachers aren't always correct (trust me, I've had some doozies) telling her to not listen to those "meanies" and just "do what makes you feel good!" isn't going to cut it. Your teachers are just getting you ready--you're going to get cut down, but it has to happen to progress!

Just sayin, though I know in happy-craftster-lalaland it probably won't go over too well.

I get what you're saying. I never ever told anyone in my classes that I do anything like crafting. I built a lot of scale models of buildings in school and it was so much fun. It was painstaking work but I adored it to bits. But I never told anyone that I am a crafter because you may as well admit that you have a.... can't think of an example but something really bad Smiley My program started with over 400 stupid girls who thought they knew what the major entailed and let me tell you, it was the hardest four years of my life. Only 20 girls made in into the second section of the program and we graduated 19.

Because any art is so subjective you have to really be ready for the worst. What I would do every time we had a critique is take a notebook and write down what they say so I could look at it later when I wasn't upset. After you cool off a bit it's important to go back and think if there was any bit of truth in what they said and take that and move on. If you dwell on it though you'll get discouraged and quit.

I had a professor who made us do 50 quick sketches at the beginning of each class and then made us throw them away. He said only after that were we really beginning to think originally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009 10:55:34 PM »

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I'm thinking that I'll talk to the teachers about the possibility of transferring to a different major, as I'm not sure I'll be able to work to the demands of textiles. I'm a jack of all trades, and probably better at drawing/painting than I am at sewing so a switch to printmaking and drawing won't be too bad at all.

The fabric is a pale blue colour, and the reason I left the space is to do with rule of thirds, I thought that if I embroidered and appliqued the top left corner the woman would look boxed in, and the design wouldn't have breathing space.
I think the problem that your professors had was that they probably don't view textiles as a form of artistic expression or even just design.
AH..well..I'm majoring IN textiles..and they were textiles teachers...
in the end it probably turns out that it wasn't the best idea to do textiles, it was probably rather too ambitious... I was accepted into two majors, textiles and printmaking/drawing. I'm probably better at drawing than I am at textiles...and I decided to pick textiles to stretch myself and improve my skills. Perhaps that wasn't the best idea for something as involved as full time university.

I appreciate everyone's opinions, positive and negative. I'm reasonably willing to accept criticism, it's just that unless I can see where the criticism is coming from I get a bit upset. The suggestion that I needed to improve on documentation and experimentation wasn't too bad, but I don't really know how I can do more work, as of now I am doing as much as I can manage.
I've got four more weeks before I go back, so I have a bit of time to think about it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009 01:24:02 AM »

Do your teachers actually know how much work is in that?
And maybe their criticism should be translated differently.
Maybe they think you should have thought about how to put things together more?
It's a lot of colours and textures together and of course that is risky.

And I totally agree to someone else who mentioned that teachers can overdo their criticism and shouldn't always be taken too seriously.
And the strange thing is; all teachers think something else.
With maths something is either good or wrong. In art everything becomes an opinion (besides if an image 'works' or not).
Consider for yourself what works. And you got a load of nice comments in here; apperently there IS a market for your work! So you don't have to worry  Smiley
Keep working on it and you'll be allright I'm sure  Grin

I don't believe you wouldn't be able to study textiles.
I'm in art school right now, I study illustration. EVERYBODY worries about wether they're good enough or not.
Don't give up too soon please  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009 01:27:41 AM by Flowers and Lemons » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knot all there

Muh muh muh muh McCoy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009 06:33:14 AM »

Seriously.
What is wrong with teachers.
Obviously too drunk with power to see the awesomeness in front of them.

It is amazing and you should be proud of it becuase it is wonderful.
The embroidery is really something to envy and they obviously havent done any work in a while to not realise who long it take to do something like that.

I'm embrodiering a little phrase for a friend at the moment and it has take hours and I am not even halfway throught the tiny quote! So even something ludicrously simple is really laboring and you immensely complicated and your beautiful piece should be given the grade it deserves.
Which would be an epically good one.
Because it is fricking awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009 07:17:52 AM »

this is glorious!

I totally understand where you're coming from. Remember that art and design are both very subjective... maybe these teachers didn't like your work this time, but you might do something next time that you hate that they think is great. 

I'm curious to see what other people's projects for this class look like.  AND maybe what these teachers' work looks like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009 07:22:46 AM »

I think it's great and you put a lot of work into. Don't let negative criticism get to you. Take what you can from it and move on to the next process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009 07:29:14 AM »

Please remember any RUDE, NONCONSTRUCTIVE, PERSONAL ATTACKING statements will be deleted.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009 08:36:15 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsdupree
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009 07:53:32 AM »

One problem with having "art professors" is that they forget what art is really about. They get caught up in being the "masters" of the field. Art is about personal expression. If it is finished to you, then it is finished. I think it is beautiful! Art comes from within; keep up the good work.

I wouldn't let a couple of snooty professors turn you away from your dream. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs. Dupree
misfitknits
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009 10:16:53 AM »

i know there have already been tons of comments, but i still feel like i have something constructive to say!

After reading through the others coments.. The leaving the white does make it seem unbalanced..  as the botom half of the piece is heavy and the top left is empty.. The work is so pretty that you have done..  And looking at the work does make one hungry for a bit of balance onthe top..

i agreed with zenthistle's comment, but the first thing i thought when i looked at the piece was "did she a REASON for making the piece that way? was it intended or it was it left "unfinished"? because if you had a reason for making your piece that way, then it was completely justified. as soon as i read your reply:

The fabric is a pale blue colour, and the reason I left the space is to do with rule of thirds, I thought that if I embroidered and appliqued the top left corner the woman would look boxed in, and the design wouldn't have breathing space.

i understood why you did it. so i can see your prof's first glance opinion, but had you explained your reasoning to them, they may have understood a little bit more. this was not left undone out of laziness, but was a design choice, right or wrong.

after having said all that, i'm not a college prof, but i AM an experienced embroiderer and know how much time and effort went in to that piece *SATIN STITCH, AGGGHHH!!!* i think it is a wonderful piece and if you enjoy it, you should stick with it, regardless of your prof's less-than-constructive-criticism. maybe just be prepared in the future for a more callous point of view!! and just because you take a class in something, doesn't mean you have to major in it. i think you have a really interesting point of view.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
Youthfulbee
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009 10:33:32 AM »

I think it's beautiful - stunning in fact. It's so hard to get on with teachers who have a different idea of what you should to than yourself - especially in creative subjects. Keep doing what you love and don't let yourself be discouraged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All About Collections in Lightroom 2
Installing a Web Widget in Dreamweaver CS4
Creating a Flash Gallery Using Bridge CS4
Linking Pages, Graphics, and Web Sites Using Dreamweaver CS4
Using Behaviors in Dreamweaver CS4
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...