A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mean teachers didn't like my rich opulent applique embroidery!  (Read 6966 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: June 12, 2009 08:01:34 PM »

Ok so I had to do two textiles pieces for assessment, and I only had three days of class time for each one..so I did a lot of this in my own time. And embroidery takes a very long time as you well know, it took me about 40 minutes for just ONE of those little green feathers!
(I'd embroidered the face beforehand btw, that took two days solid of embroidery.)

I was inspired by kazakh and indian embroidery and wanted to create a very opulent effect with rich patterned fabric and a combination of stylised and more realistic eyes. I used chain stitch, buttonhole stitch, satin stitch, split stitch, a tiny bit of running stitch, feather stitch and scroll stitch.

My teachers, however, said that I needed to do more experimentation. "do you consider this finished?" one of them said cattily, adding that she didn't think I demonstrated the commitment needed to take textiles at university.
Naturally I was very upset seeing as I do all I can..I really don't want to sacrifice any more of my life for uni, I already do 35 hours a week in face to face time for one!
I'm thinking I want to change courses to printmedia and drawing, where the teachers aren't so ridiculously demanding.
Anyway, this is about the embroidery, rather than my depressing time at assessment.
More pictures can be seen at my site
http://www.louisagiffard.com/blogitem.pl?id=61
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audette
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009 08:26:35 PM »

I think your piece is wonderful, and I am sorry that your professors could not be more positive in their views. Sometimes people forget what it's like to be on the other end of the assignment. keep doing what makes you happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hipslikecinderella
Alice, where's your tongue?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009 08:27:00 PM »

I think it looks great (but then again, I'm not an art professor  Roll Eyes)!  I love the different fabrics you used in addition to the wide variety of stitches.  I think it's a gorgeous vibrant piece.

Good luck to you in your decision, and I hope you find out what's the best for you.  I'm sorry to hear that your professors' criticism wasn't a bit more thorough or helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maehem

.glitz and glamour.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009 08:29:30 PM »

I think it's absolutely beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
autotrophic
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009 08:52:38 PM »

i love it! and you took beautiful photos too.

i think you could easily integrate what you're doing into whatever you major in--even if it's technically painting or printmaking or whatever, you could keep this unique style and incorporate different media.

your school might be different than mine, but i'm majoring in painting and printmaking and i've turned in more than one project where i worked with fabric and stitching instead of paint...and i've seen a few people add hand embroidery to prints/drawings on paper as well. 

but anyway...long story short, i think you should do what makes you happy, but i could easily picture walking into an art gallery and seeing a whole room full of different works like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009 08:53:17 PM »

I think it is a nice piece. I also am a little concerned when a professor decides what is complete and not complete. My art teacher at junior college was a gem. Everything was based by OUR own opinions and classroom polling. He wanted all of us to learn how to critique but do it cautiously yet constructively. I was sad to have to leave that school. BUT this is not about me this is about your wonderful piece.

Also, I am sure you heard this, but it bares reminding about Uni's... For every ONE hour you are in class...there is 2 hours of homework to be done later. So, if you honestly have 35 full hours IN CLASS with a professor there teaching, then that is 70 hours in your dorm room on your own. This is why University students burn out. Just stay calm..remember its only one semester at a time. I Promise in the end it will all be worth it.

Good Luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009 09:46:13 PM »

My degree was in design and let me tell you something I learned. Professors say a whole bunch of crap just to see if you'll stick through it or not. It sucks but you have to have steel guts and learn to take their worst criticism as a compliment. Some professors can even seem a bit nervous when you exceed their own skills, so watch out for that. I only came across a few that were that way but they made a lot of my peers drop classes like hot potatoes.

In the end, the only person who decides whether or not you go forward is you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
kniterdone
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009 11:24:59 PM »

I wouldn't take it personally.  It sounds like a critique, not criticism.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post to offer inspiration only.  Please don't copy my artwork!  http://meetmeinthedayroom.wordpress.com
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009 04:22:29 AM »

I think it is gorgeous!  I love the richness of the texture.  Screw what your tutors say & do what feels best for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Fair Rosamund
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009 04:30:23 AM »

Mean teachers!  Angry This work is gorgeous! Unfortunately at uni you have to jump through the hoops (embroidery pun not intended) but you should ask them to be more constructive in their criticism. Failing that tell them to look up Tilleke Schwarz and kiss your toes cos your work's beautiful! And it's finished when you say it's finished!
Stay positive and keep stitching  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy DIY Party Favor-Lollipop Koozies
How to Make Inexpensive Flower Arrangements
Basic Cable Knitting
Positioning Tips For Your HUSQVARNA VIKING
How to Create Unique Fabrics
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...