A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mean teachers didn't like my rich opulent applique embroidery!  (Read 6610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jen_a_s
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009 10:04:19 AM »

I hate how they would choose to say 'do you consider this finished' when "I personally would like to see more embroidery/less canvas' gets the same point across but isn't bitchy.  I was in an artsy fartsy program back in the day, and my own pov is that the profs spend so much time in their insular little world that they have to slam everyone else to feel like they're still artists and they haven't sold out for tenure and a swanky house.  I say Do that voodoo that you do, this piece is lovely.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
42elefantes
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009 12:00:23 PM »

As an undergrad, I had a creative writing professor who would hand back our stories littered with numbers with approximately 10 pages of text corresponding to those numbers following our ~10 page stories.  A lot of people thought he was a jerk because of this (not to mention he was horribly blunt and tactless), but it was apparent to me early on how much care and concern he took when reviewing our work and, when he paid someone a compliment, it meant something because you had to work hard for it.  But, because he was so thorough, it became so much easier to tighten up my work.  I didn't always take his suggestions, but I definitely thought twice about the decisions I made.

For what it's worth, looking back at a lot of the projects I did in art school, I often thought my professors were wrong... but they seldom were. Next time you get a negative critique, ask for suggestions on what you could improve. "What could I have done to make this look complete? What would you like to see me change for next time?" You don't have to follow their advice, but you should still listen to them.
Never forget that you're paying to learn.  The professor is only really mean if she makes a statement like that about your work and then refuses to sit down with you to talk through things and help you grow.  Your professors are there for you.  Take advantage of their office hours.  Besides, if the professors at your school are doing their job and your drawing/printmaking skills aren't 10,000 times more advanced than your textile skills, you shouldn't find professors universally more complimentary if you switch to the printmaking/drawing program.  They have to critique your work and, really, a professor is one of the kindest critics you're going to have as your art career progresses.  At least they're usually trying to help you, unlike art critics, the buying public, etc.

Ultimately, some professors make you feel better about your work while others strive to make your work better.  I believe both kinds play an important role in your artistic development.  If you're able to stick it out another semester to see how things go and you really love what you're doing, it's probably worth it.  Good luck, though, no matter what you decide to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009 03:03:07 PM »

Whatever you do...follow your passion. Your piece is a work of art...and it is done when you as the artist feel it's done. I think this professor was trying to push you...you are obviously quite talented! Try not to let it get you down...chin up...move onward & upward!

Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
afterannabel
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009 04:25:11 PM »

I think it's amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009 07:09:35 PM »

stick with the textiles, your work is amazing. don't let some morons get you down, you know you own at this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
Feywalker
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2009 12:39:52 PM »

I know everyone else has about covered everything, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I personally, love it.  Your work is wonderful.  I think as teachers, they have a responsibility to present any critique to you in a way that helps you grow, not in so negitive a manner that you automatically get offended and don't listen.  That's their job.  Noone will take critique well if it's put into an insulting manner.

That being said, I have a friend who used to be the assistant art professor at the University here. He and I got talking about it once and one of the things that really stuck with me was our discussion on how upset students would get if he'd correct a line on one of their drawings.  My first stance was the same as theirs, it's their artwork.  He then told me that he'd get students who were so sure that their stuff was perfect they way it was - if that's the case, why are they in college?  Isn't the point to learn, expand and see other viewpoints in an attempt to better your work?  The point he was making was that pieces you do for college aren't some great masterpiece - their works in progress meant to make you grow.

As many have said here, you're always going to have people who like your work and people who don't, no matter what you do.  It doesn't hurt to look at it from a different viewpoint occationally. 

Now, I like it, and want it for myself and am in awe of your embroidery skills.  If you teacher was a good one, they would tell you what they liked about it, tell you what they didn't, and suggest what you might change in the future.  In the real world, that doesn't always happen and even though they didn't go about it the right way, try to at least learn from it (even if you learn nothing more than the way you'll never critique a fellow student's work)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make that...
kisskristy
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2009 09:36:25 PM »

i think its amazing,
i think you should challenge your teachers to doing that themselves Tongue

i know for sure i'd never be able to turn out something like that.
good work :]]

i guess your teachers aren't as open minded as us craftsters :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knoxy
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2009 08:37:18 AM »

It is a beautiful piece of work and I think your experience should have taught you some life lessons. One is that you can't please everyone. The other is that effort and desire do not equal grades.
One of the hardest parts of being and art teacher is grading and taking personal bias out of grading scheme. What were the requirements for the project? What was the marking scheme? Did you fulfill those with this piece? If you feel you did, go have a sit down with the prof. Tell them why you think you should have a higher mark based on the project criteria given. Discuss what makes it completed and if your prof does not bug on the marks ask how to improve for the next project. Ask for clarification on what the prof wants. Remember as much as people like to think teacher are automatons, they're human beings like you and I. They understand feelings and ultimately want to help you succeed. If you can't find/get answers from your prof go to another for help.
Something that's plaguing a lot of American's is the idea of the American Dream. The idea that if you want something and put effort into it, then you obviously are entitled to having what you want. Life does not work that way. The amount of effort you put into something does not always mean you create/get something successful. Just because you want good grades doesn't mean it's going to be handed to you (I'm not saying you just cruised through this project because it obviously took many hours and dedication to do). I remember doing an art project for one of my classes. I spent six hours making just an atomically correct heart and painting it "black" then putting it into a human chest I created earlier. My teacher basically said it was a piece of crap. I couldn't understand how all of my hard work and want for a good grade become nothing in that moment. I got a C on the project. I was devastated, that was the worst mark I had ever received. I learned from that experience as you should from yours.
As much as you can see the effort that went into this project and how beautiful the detailing looks, I have to agree that it looks unfinished. I think it looks unfinished because of the harsh empty negative space in the upper corner. I think adding some kind of embroidered gradient you have helped ease the harshness of white open space. But I also understand that under time constraints and strict deadlines we don't always see the full potential. I would ask your prof if you could work on it more after asking for suggestions on how they think you should better the piece and the ask for a remark for an extra 5-10%.

Also sorry for the novel of a post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabricfriend
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009 08:53:22 AM »

I think it is wonderful. You can't please everyone.
tara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009 08:54:37 AM »

Hi all,
Please remember to STAY ON TOPIC of the craft. Any off topic comments will be edited or deleted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sushi Etiquette Tips
Ginger Guide for Sushi
How to Make Nigiri Sushi
How to Make Yellowtail Sushi
How to Make a Spicy Tuna Roll
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...