A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mean teachers didn't like my rich opulent applique embroidery!  (Read 6856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009 07:39:59 AM »

This obvously took a lot of time and effort - you did a great job....I'll raise my hand as another art student that got plenty of critisizm - it can be really depressing when you think you've done a great job and they completely pull the rug out from under you!  Do what you love - don't think just because you change majors you will escape this kind of thing....be true to yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009 09:47:49 AM »

Your teachers are obviously blind. And morons! This looks fanTASTIC! I am hitting "This Rocks."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
GatbysRevolver

I love you now. Isn't that enough?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009 10:05:54 AM »

What might have thrown them off is the fabric you put it on to. White/light colors in any art always make a piece seem unfinished when they show. Regardless of that however your piece is freaking amazing! and for them to say that you didn't put enough time into it!?!?!?! If you truly are passionate about your current major then stick with it. There will always be some proffessor who won't like your work. nine times outa ten they failed in become some famous person in that field and thus became a prof. If anything take what they have to say with a grain of salt but still strive to see what they saw. And if it makes you feel any better my photography teacher was constantly on me for having way to much contrast in my photos, then I had another prof who wanted more. Anywhoo, I want to steal your piece either way Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveahippie
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009 10:58:56 AM »

Your teachers are blind idiots!  Why would anyone ever think of telling you that your art isn't finished?  ART doesn't have guidelines you can set, you should tell those teachers to suck it!  Lol  This is SO amazing!!  I'm hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009 03:38:55 PM »

I think the problem that your professors had was that they probably don't view textiles as a form of artistic expression or even just design. In art, there really is no definable complete or incomplete. It's all up to the artist and what he/she wants to convey. Your piece is clearly a personal and artistic expression, and your professors are just dickheads for not approaching it as that (or they just want their class to be strictly by-the-book).
Someone else in the thread mentioned that a lot of professors are really hard to please on purpose, to push students as far as they can go, which is true. But there is a difference between critiques and being close-minded. The teacher who cattily asked if it was finished would have instead asked you what you might do to take the piece further, if she was a good teacher. Sounds to me like she flat out just didn't have the capacity to understand what it was all about.

So yeah, ignore them. You're obviously a very creative and talented person so I would suggest to try putting yourself in a major where you can express that without having rude feedback from teachers who just don't get it. OH and your embroidery is gorgeous by the way! I love all the different textures and the composition of it all. It's such a unique piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenthistle
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009 03:51:38 PM »

It is pretty. .. After reading through the others coments.. The leaving the white does make it seem unbalanced..  as the botom half of the piece is heavy and the top left is empty.. The work is so pretty that you have done..  And looking at the work does make one hungry for a bit of balance onthe top.. SO I understand both views..
If you have already recieved a grade on it.. frame it or put it away and look at 3 months from now and see if you see it differently.   Each topic and PRoject you do in Art is meant for you to experience a different accpect of art.. to help you reach futher into your creative pocket..   A teacher needs to be gentle with te Muse.. and it comes from deep with in .. and Creative people .. can sometimes forget to be sensitive to others.   Art is for you. Create what you need to create..  Listen to the Critiques.. Think about them..  You don't have to agree...
Then get a few more opinions.. then do what brings you most  joy...   (I remember viewing some of my art teachers works and although they may have been really good at their art.. I didn't always like there stuff..
So it's objective..  and basicaly if it's about design.. they need to explain the design principle  that you may or may not be meeting..  just saying it's unfinished is unfair.. they need to be more specific.. like say it's unbalanced.. is this your intention.. and if you have a big intention behind you peice.. then sometimes the explanation will sell it more than anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009 04:23:15 PM »

i think its colorful and vibrant, reminds me  of a collage, or amazing doodles (thinking of a fabric notebook to "doodle" with thread during class Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rrose_cestlavie
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009 05:38:53 PM »

i think that's fantastic. I'm actually a crafts and material studies major at a university right now and i've done some work in the fibers department (it's within the crafts and material studies major). in fact my school is ranked as the 4th overall fiber arts program, and this is better than some work i've seen coming out of there.

any art career is going to include a lot of critique, but stand by your work. i know sometimes it feels like the professors word is gold, but chances are there's tons of people out there that will disagree with them. it's only their opinion. definitely keep an open mind during bad critiques, but don't let them discourage you. you can get a lot of help from a harsh critique that can push your work (even though they sting--i've certainly had my fair share of them). i will say that if you decide to go into any crafts field (fibers, ceramics, metals, glass, woodworking) be prepared for some nitpicking. a lot of nitpicking, actually. but if you love it, it's worth every minute of the stress and tears and snarky comments from teachers.

to sum all that babble up, it looks really good. keep it up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veronikavsyou

i like to think i was born in the wrong decade.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009 05:44:05 PM »

well, i think it looks gorgeous! good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

authentic vintage clothing, 40's - 70's.

http://sweettoothvintage.etsy.com
bleachrainbow
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009 06:26:18 PM »

I'm going into my senior year studying fibers/textiles...It's pretty, but "pretty" doesn't cut it in university, really. It does look unfinished and unbalanced, and well, 'crafty,' which, trust me, is a dirty word if you end up going to school for textiles.  Experimentation is incredibly important, and while teachers aren't always correct (trust me, I've had some doozies) telling her to not listen to those "meanies" and just "do what makes you feel good!" isn't going to cut it. Your teachers are just getting you ready--you're going to get cut down, but it has to happen to progress!

Just sayin, though I know in happy-craftster-lalaland it probably won't go over too well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://havinghorns.blogspot.com --see the why and how and whatnot.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Crafting Contagious Content Using Triggers
Crafting Contagious Content Using Social Currency
Crafting Contagious Content Using the Public
Crafting Contagious Content with Practical Values
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #102-MissingWillow
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...