A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lace Knitting - 'No Stitch'???  (Read 2876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bella_domanie
« on: June 12, 2009 07:58:39 PM »

I taught myself how to knit, read patterns both written and charted and also semi-successfully knit from them.  Except the whole 'no stitch' grey boxes in charts.  WHAT IS THAT?!  I've spent days searching, trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do.... but... nothing.  Can anyone explain this make-my-life-miserable thing to me, please?!?!  I will love you forever. 

If you're not entirely sure what I'm talking about (god, I hope you are), here's a link to the Windermere Scarf http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/images/muirBIG.jpg.  Chart's on page 4.  I want to eventually make this one.  Right now, I want to start the Muir shawl from Knitty.

Please help me!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009 08:07:28 PM »

I am looking at the Muir shawl from Knitty and the grey boxes, according to the legend in the bottom of the chart, are purls on the right side and knits on the wrong side.  Is that what you're talking about?

In a lot of lace patterns, you're doing a lot of yarnovers and decreases which means that each row's stitch count may not be the same, however, in my experience, it's always notated with black boxes, not gray.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009 08:09:09 PM »

Ok.  Maybe I looked at that one wrong.  But what about the Windermere pattern? .... I'll have to go back and recount the stitches and see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009 08:10:21 PM »

I am busy looking for that pattern so I can take a look at it.. Would you happen to have a link handy?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009 08:11:49 PM »

Crap... I thought that was the one I pasted in my post.  Sorry. http://www.sweetpaprikadesigns.com/Windermere.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009 08:18:58 PM »

Okay, I'm looking at Windermere now.  Your stitch count is actually not changing, but I think they're doing that so you can have a visual for how the pattern is forming.  For instance, in the 25-stitch repeat, the middle section is growing by two stitches every other row and is flanked, on either side, by yarnovers.  Because the yarnovers are moving further out on each right side, they're showing you how the pattern is looking over the course of each row.

I promise you that if you just read the white boxes, you will be just fine!  I'm going to see if I can't find a better explanation of the "no stitch" phenomenon that makes more sense and hasn't had a long week!  Grin

Really, though, don't stress about the "no stitches"!  I have a feeling once you get started, you'll realize it's much easier than you think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009 08:22:43 PM »

You.  Are.  God.  Those stupid little boxes had me so freakin' confused.  That also leads me to another question... So, the boxes with the YO's, just make that row in the patter look wider than it actually is.  Is that right???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009 08:30:33 PM »

Sort of, yes! Smiley

I was re-looking at that pattern, too, and noticed that on row 17, you've got a lot more yarnovers than decreases which made them need more than just 25 boxes.  By my count, at the end of that row, you're still going to have only 25 stitches, but you're wrapping YOs several times in a couple places --which may account, too, for the black boxes in the rows before.  I've seen charts where they add/subtract boxes every row and visually, this chart is a lot simpler to read.

BUT, I also noticed that in addition to the charts, they've provided written directions, so you can always just refer to them if you're ever confused mid-row or if you find those easier.  Smiley   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009 08:33:00 PM »

Oh my god, I love you.  You have made my world soooooooo much simpler now! haha Wanna help me tackle the clutter in my house now?! lol I'm joking.  Kind of.  Anyway, thank you so much.  You have no idea how much of a relief this is.  I was really starting to go crazy over this.  Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009 08:35:17 PM »

Ah, it's my pleasure!! Please let me know how your scarf turns out! I'd love to see it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back To School: Age Appropriate Make Up Tips
How to Mask Cellulite
Growing Out Your Bangs? 3 Hairstyles to Ease the Transition!
Is The Beachwaver the Mother of All Curling Irons? We Find Out!
How to Look Hot in Bikini Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...