A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cabaret Belly Dance Belt: Help?  (Read 939 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

geekella
« on: June 12, 2009 05:41:56 PM »

so for this session my belly dance studio is doing a cabaret style routine. i wanna make my own costume

if you dont know, cabaret belly dance belts often are quite stiff in order to retain their shape (because often they are in v-shapes or other various things that require stiff material to keep the shape). well, i dont know exactly what i'm supposed to use for this purpose. whatever i get, i would cover it up with the fabric of my choice.

when going into fabric shops, i often see that thick cotton stuffed looking stuff that i think people use to make blankets. i was thinking that might work. cut that into the shape i want then cover it in fabric....wuddya think?

got any better ideas?

thanks for your time Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009 06:19:08 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the route that You're wanting to go but Simplicity has some awseome belly dancing patterns.  http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=4&type=19&sec=38&startrow=1 
I love 3832.  So pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
courtsi

Just movin' on by.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009 06:19:58 AM »

As a past belly dancer (sniff, had to give it up do to an injury Sad..) I used to use Buckram and sew my covering fabric over it. Depending on my costume, various layers of stuff was used. Usually I would use one layer of Buckram and depending on the fabric chosen to cover it, sometimes a layer of thin wadding kind of stuff. If my belt was to be heavily beaded or my covering fabric was heavy I would increase my layers of Buckram, usually two was fine.

I shoulda prob said this earlier, I am not sure if they sell Buckram or a Buckram style fabric where you are. Buckram is simply a cotton or linen stiffed with a 'soaking' product to fill in the gaps between fibres and stiffen the fabric. I think the soaking stuff it a starch-y kinda thing.

I hope that helps.

Court.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Court.x
geekella
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009 08:34:27 AM »

As a past belly dancer (sniff, had to give it up do to an injury Sad..) I used to use Buckram and sew my covering fabric over it. Depending on my costume, various layers of stuff was used. Usually I would use one layer of Buckram and depending on the fabric chosen to cover it, sometimes a layer of thin wadding kind of stuff. If my belt was to be heavily beaded or my covering fabric was heavy I would increase my layers of Buckram, usually two was fine.

I shoulda prob said this earlier, I am not sure if they sell Buckram or a Buckram style fabric where you are. Buckram is simply a cotton or linen stiffed with a 'soaking' product to fill in the gaps between fibres and stiffen the fabric. I think the soaking stuff it a starch-y kinda thing.

I hope that helps.

Court.
thank you very much Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
courtsi

Just movin' on by.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009 05:04:51 PM »

You're most welcome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Court.x
sewnutzz
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009 01:28:48 PM »

You might try timetex or stiffy as a base.  It is used in purse construction.  It is really stiff, about 1/8th inch thick, and you can sew through it and wash it.  Line it with white fabric on the side that faces the body to reduce crocking of dye from the belt onto your costume.

GL, Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kasihime
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009 10:10:08 PM »

I second the buckram. It is the most commonly recommended  fabric in cab belts.

Here is a site that might help/inspire you!

http://www.costumegoddess.com/tips/motifs.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Silhouette Art Piece
How to Make Confetti
How to Make a 3-D Paper Snowflake
How to Win a Staring Contest
How to Win a Pie Eating Contest
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...