A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First street fair and I'm freaking out!  (Read 1397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2009 10:03:27 AM »

Holy guacamole!

I'm doing my first fair ever, a street fair, on June 20th.  Is it normal for organizers to be so... disorganized?

They finally got around to telling everyone where their tables would be (lucked out on that one, I'll be just *minutes* from my house), and told us to print out, preferably in colour, our "permits".  As far as I can tell, the permit is the e-mail, which is black text on white background...

A follow-up e-mail with "important information" has different information about when we're allowed to set up (the time span now falling squarely in the hours when I'll have no help and no tent. No idea what I'm going to do about that!), and mentions, just in passing, that the 8' table I paid for might actually only be 6'.

Is this sort of thing normal??

Add to that the fact that mr.fantastic can't come because they're doing inventory at his work (blast!!!) and my parents can't come until a half hour before the show starts, which is a half hour AFTER we have to stop "setting up".

*freaks out some more*   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nannalexi
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009 03:02:55 PM »

I don't blame you for freaking out. But don't get discouraged. Not all organizers are that bad. I just wanted to help you feel better and I wish you luck and hope you sell out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009 04:00:33 PM »

Man, I meant to reply to this sooner!

It may not be normal but it's not unheard of.  My advice is to pester them until you know! (in a nice way, of course)

I'm pretty sure the permit is what you get from the city. At least that's what it is here... did you get one? It's something that says you/your business have permission to sell at this place on these days.  Gosh, I can't remember the specifics right now but I can try to figure it out if you need me to.

Besides all that though... You'll do fine! It's stressful running up to it but you'll do fabulously, I promise.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 04:12:25 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

I did finally get the permit.  It was plain text in an e-mail from the organizers that asked that we print it out in colour if possible.  Right-o!  Then, once I had arranged for it to get printed (I don't have a printer), about an hour later I got another e-mail with another, slightly different permit, and told to ignore the first one.

On the up side, I DO have a tent.  Dad made it sound like it would be harder to set up without him than it was. We did a dry run this past weekend.  It turned out that the problem he was having is that we've lost the directions and a couple of the pieces!  He figured it out and made new pieces and we're ok.  There's a rip in the canvas, but I think it'll be ok still.

Now my worry is the rain!  I'll be fine.  My inventory will be fine.  But I'm worry that the two of us will be fine, and alone together with no customers.  Whee!

That's ok, I have a backup plan. ^_^

Oh, the new wrinkle is that we can bring a vehicle in, carefully, to set up, up to an hour before the start of the show.  The show goes from 1 - 9pm, and they want us all packed up by 9 (yes, the same time the show ends... I must remember to bring my magic wand!), and there is no mention of when it's safe to bring a vehicle in to pack up.  Luckily I won't be needing one, but still.  Yeesh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009 11:34:44 AM »

Well, I'm there, but it's pouring rain! We got the tent up between cloud bursts, but a good half of the vendors didn't even show up!

We'll see how this goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009 11:29:58 AM »

Fairs in the rain suck.....

How did it go besides that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009 12:35:12 PM »

It was awful!  Bright side is that it couldn't go any worse, really.

It rained all day.  Most of the vendors didn't show up; out of the 26 that were supposed to be on my block there were only 7 of us.  Every time we thought the worst of it was over the sky would open up and drive everyone indoors again.

About a dozen people came up to my booth, but no one bought anything.  I did have at least two people who were clearly trying to figure out how I'd made some of my items (I wish them luck on that!)

I ended up giving up at dinner time and packing up.

I don't think I had the right kind of inventory for that show, and the rain just made it a complete washout.

Not to mention the disorganization of the whole thing.  The street was closed to traffic at 9. We were allowed to start coming to set up at 10.  I showed up after 11 and there were no tables, or anything marking where we were to set up.  We eventually decided to just set up the tent without the weights and then move it if we had to.

When the volunteers showed up with the tables we asked them where we were supposed to set up.  They didn't know but said they'd go ask someone and get back to us.  We never saw them again.  Different volunteers showed up to finish setting the tables up.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'll try this show again.  If I do, definitely different inventory, and if it rains I'll probably not bother showing up. *sigh*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009 06:24:46 AM »

Oh lord.  Well, it was a learning experience.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Taller Instantly
Threads | A Look At The Crooks & Castles Fall and Spring Streetwear Lines
5 Ways to Wear a Faux Fur Vest
Style Profile | DIY Twist Tie Dresses For The Fall
The Secret to Finding the Perfect T-Shirt Bra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...