A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black and White Photography  (Read 707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Era Vera
« on: June 10, 2009 10:25:00 PM »

So last quarter I took a photography class (the second I've taken in college) and I really enjoyed it. I used a Minolta SRT 101, a Holga, and didn't use a camera for two of these, and processed the film and printed the photos in the darkroom at school.

There's more photos and some information about where these were taken or of what, and about the printing process for some of them on my blog http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/2009/06/photo-2.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009 04:08:55 PM by Era Vera » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009 11:13:47 PM »

Your photos are really beautiful. I love film photography, it's kind of sad that everything is going to digital. My college doesn't even do film photography anymore  Cry.
The thing I love most about film is that it takes a long time and is very involved.
you don't get a perfect image through the click of a button, and it's like magic when you put your photo's in the developer.

I really like the first and second to last photo's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
girlfallingdown
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009 06:21:49 AM »

Wow, these are gorgeous. I especially love the first one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErnestoIsCool
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009 07:43:42 AM »

Sweet photos! I really like the "Snoqualmie Pass" one. Go Washington!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GlassSpider
Part artist, part pyromaniac

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009 08:22:07 AM »

These are beautiful! That first one is stunning! Makes me think of Ansel Adams. I took darkroom photography in school and loved it. I have to say, though, I am spoiled by the instant gratification you get from digital.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
-Leonard Cohen
hopskip09
I am Human

Created to Create

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009 12:43:38 PM »

beautiful photography. I've always wanted to learn how to develop film.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion, art, friends, life....
http://erinisbetter.blogspot.com/

God's thunder spits fire...and sends the oak trees dancing, a wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. We fall to our knees-we cry out, "glory".
Era Vera
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009 04:06:41 PM »

Thanks guys!

Seraphina_de_Sangre - I love the process of working with film as well. Spending that much time on a single photo really makes it something special. The picture has to be important to you. And it still feels magical to me, seeing the photo appear.

girlfallingdown - Thanks! I love that one a lot. Although I printed it just a tad light because I needed to have a photo with predominantly white/light tones. If I get a chance, I'd like to reprint it and bring up the dark tones just a little.

ErnestolsCool - Go Washington indeed! We're lucky to live in such a beautiful location. I love how taking photography classes has made me more aware of the incredible and beautiful scenery around me every day. Thanks. I'm especially pleased with the range of tones in the Snoqualmie Pass one. That and I think it's funny that the "P" is pretty much rubbed off on the sign so it looks like it says "Snoqualmie Ass." Didn't even notice it when I took the photo, but you bet it was the first thing my classmates noticed during critique.

GlassSpider - Wow, I am immensely flattered by the comparison to Ansel Adams. Thank you. I agree about the instant gratification, in fact I always bring a digital camera with me while I'm shooting film. Often my mom uses it while I'm shooting, or I'll take the same photo with both cameras, but it's nice to get to see something right away. And for everyday use, I'm all about the digital. No way I can afford shooting film all the time!

hopskip09 - Take a class! Check out what your local community college offers if you're not in school now. I'm going to community college, and the teachers and darkroom are actually excellent.

I just realized I said I used the Minolta for all of these and that is not true. The first two were with the Minolta SRT 101, the next two with a borrowed Holga, another with the Minolta, another Holga, next two no camera, and the last two the Minolta again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Power Concedes Nothing Book Overview
Truth in Advertizing Book Launch Party at Mother New York
Unexpected Gifts Book Trailer by Chris Heuertz
She Matters by Susanna Sonnenberg
All That Is Red
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...