A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hanging Bundt-pan Herb Pots!  (Read 20982 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 10, 2009 10:18:13 PM »

So there used to be a really awesome thrift store in my area that closed late last year. It was an awesome place for a junk scrounge like myself; lots of material with potential and usually very reasonably priced -especially when you like to make stuff out of things no-one wants to use anymore!  Wink

I amassed several funky old Bundt cake pans so that I could turn them in to hanging pots for herbs. Because really, have you ever made any food in one of those pans? The novelty wears off reallllly quick, trust me. But look how lovely the bottoms are! How else can you get a good look at them unless you hang them? Thus, the herb pots were born!

The raw materials...

The result!

8 cups of funky fresh herbs! (Well, 8 cups of dirt, technically, but that's not as appealing Tongue)

Because the pans are usually quite small, you'll want to use compact varieties of herbs and keep them out of all-day sun. Mine are hanging from the porch roof and only get about four-five hours of direct sun a day. Be sure to keep an eye on watering too, as the smaller containers will dry out quicker. The herbs seem to like the conditions though, and I actually haven't had any of the fungus problems I frequently get in my non-hanging potted plants. I planted this pot last October and the bushier Thymes have nearly doubled in size -the very flat one is still nicely compact- and they are all doing great!

Here's a simple version of how to make one of these funky pots -if you make one of your own please post a pic, I'd love to see the variety!  Grin

[July 2, 2009: added two new pics!]

Here is the second pot I made about two months ago. It is a "tin" pan, so it has rusted, but I like it that way! Tongue But how wonderful is that bottom? This pot is hanging high so I can see the pattern when I pass by...

And yes, I haven't been very good about pruning the oregano so it's very leggy instead of bushy. Oh well!

And here is a shot of the assembly. Note that for this particular pan I used two washers -a large one to fit the hole in the pan, and a smaller one to cover the large hole in the large washer. Large washers don't always have the right size inner hole, and sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth to drill it -hence, the double washer approach!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009 11:04:24 AM by mlheran - Reason: added more images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
jagger

The restless shall go and the faithful shall stay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009 10:35:08 PM »

That's a really cool idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Maybe he won't fight."  "Will he bleed?  That's all we care about."

Is he willing but not able to prevent evil?  Then he is impotent.  Is he able but not willing?  Then he is malevolent.  Is he both able and willing?  Whence then is evil?  --Epicurus
marmalade_skies
I could make that for you, but I won't.

<(-_-)> (>-_-)> (>-_-<) <(-_-<) <(-_-)>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009 10:55:09 PM »

This is such an awesome idea!  Thanks for sharing  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beavisfreak
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009 11:31:03 PM »

that looks sweet!  better hope it doesn't rust or something Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weasels vs. birds!!!
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009 04:28:03 AM »

Great idea. I love the illustrations you made.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009 05:59:17 AM »

That is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing it. I always look at the cool pans, but know that they would just be a pain to bake in- now I know what to do with them! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009 06:16:20 AM »

Nice!  The color of the pot, along with the green of the herbs, is very eye-catching!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madebymarni
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009 06:45:14 AM »

What a great idea!  Awesome "tutorial", too!  You can find those copper molds everywhere! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Dilbert created by Scott Adams

http://madebymarni.com
http://madebymarni.etsy.com
http://madebymarni.blogspot.com
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009 06:51:41 AM »

If these are real copper they should get a nice patina on them as they weather. I love the look, and love copper. I never find these cheap though. Great for scrounging and great tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
kraftingwithkristy
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009 07:21:29 AM »

What a great idea and it looks so pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jon Kolko on Career Advice For Young Designers
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder
What It Means to Be a Strategist
Why a Psychologist Chooses Design Career
Design An Arts Education
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...