A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Hackle  (Read 15296 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_preparation  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LeapFeetFirst
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 10, 2009 07:19:19 PM »

Using the instructions and videos I found on Yarn Zombie, I created my own hackle. This project was really easy and cheap to do- my favorite type of project!! The hardest part was finding the right combs, but after the third dollar store, I was finally able to find what I was looking for.

Here is a close up shot of the completed hackle.

A wider shot. I just use clamps to hold it to my table or counter top.

Here are some before, in process and after shots I took of some Sheep Shed Studio roving I dyed myself. I think I might have felted the fiber a little bit, so this was a good way to separate the fibers as well as blend the colors.

Fiber Before:

The hackle loaded with fiber. I got about one ounce of fiber on my hackle before it got too full. I think I am going to build a larger version so I can blend more fibers.

Another shot of the loaded hackle.

Using a button as a diz to pull the fiber off the hackle.

Half way through the process. I am going from right to left in this picture. You will leave some fiber behind as you pull the fibers through the diz/button

The after shot of blended roving

The fiber before and after:

And the fiber that is left on the hackle.

As of right now I have just been pulling the extra fiber off the hackle and storing it in a bag to either felt or use when I eventually get a drum carder. If anyone has advice on how to get more fiber off with the diz and leave less fiber behind, or any other advice- it would be much appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009 07:30:15 PM »

Woot for DIY hackles!

I don't have any tips about leaving less fiber behind (as I'm also a hackle-noob) but I'm saving the orphan fibers to spin into an art yarn Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009 07:42:24 PM »

wow neat! thanks for posting this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009 08:44:30 PM »

Lovely action pictures!  Now I might have to build one for my craftroom Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009 08:51:30 PM »

so good!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
Molliemoo2883
Personal Swap: anyone need bottle caps?

Easily distracted since 1983!

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009 01:02:29 PM »

I have never even heard of a hackle before. (Can you tell I'm new to this?) but I want one!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow inside. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion we would be truly dead"~Buffy
misfitknits
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009 11:11:49 AM »

when you complete your first pass *right to left* of dizzing, without breaking the fiber off, you can back *left to right* and get as much more fiber as you can. the general rule is to stop dizzing when the junk fiber starts coming off, but since you started with roving, you shouldn't have any junk but you MAY notice the fibers getting shorter, depending on the quality/producer of the roving *except if there are any felted bits from dyeing, it would be great for getting those pieces out, and those make for great art yarn* you can also card all those left overs with hand cards, if you have them, also local guilds sometimes let you borrow or "rent out" drum/hand carders!

boy, that was long winded! hope ANY of that helped!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
LeapFeetFirst

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009 06:23:57 PM »

when you complete your first pass *right to left* of dizzing, without breaking the fiber off, you can back *left to right* and get as much more fiber as you can. the general rule is to stop dizzing when the junk fiber starts coming off, but since you started with roving, you shouldn't have any junk but you MAY notice the fibers getting shorter, depending on the quality/producer of the roving *except if there are any felted bits from dyeing, it would be great for getting those pieces out, and those make for great art yarn* you can also card all those left overs with hand cards, if you have them, also local guilds sometimes let you borrow or "rent out" drum/hand carders!

boy, that was long winded! hope ANY of that helped!!!

Thank you so much for the info!! I will have to try that next time I use my hackle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009 06:19:03 PM »

I finally got around to making mine! I don't have clamps or a 2x4, so I just took this breakfast tray I had lying around and screwed some combs onto it. It's not very big, but it'll do for now. I have a question, though. When I pull the fiber through the diz (actually, it's like a little round silver thing that I think is used for jewelery) it always comes out weird. Like, super-thin at points, and uneven. The hole in the silver thingy is bigger than a button hole. Is that maybe the reason? Blah. I dunno. Pix soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misfitknits
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009 10:25:51 AM »

getting a super smooth dizzed roving will probably just take practice! like when you first started spinning, and tried to predraft a roving, the first time you most likely pulled a staple length right off!

your diz MAY have something to do with it. maybe you are trying to pull too much and it becomes hard to pull through the whole, then the effort in pulling makes a thin spot in the roving? if you're having trouble with the diz you have now, try something else! you can pretty much use anything! my first diz was a piece of rectangular wood that i had my grandfather drill two holes in, they were different sizes, but i can't remember how big??? but it worked fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Checkered Blanket
How to Crochet a Blanket Without Slip Stitching Part 2/3
How to Crochet a Blanket Without Slip Stitching Part 3/3
How to Crochet a Blanket Without Slip Stitching Part 1/3
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 7/26
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...