A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 306,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrabble Tile Jewelry  (Read 2742 times)
Tags for this thread: scrabble  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 09, 2009 06:14:36 PM »

Has anyone seen jewelry like this?  I've seen pendants and earrings and such.  I'm wondering where to buy the little screws that have the eyelet on the top.  Um, that's the best way I can describe it so I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 07:24:07 PM by amigurl55 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
*lguernsey*
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009 09:45:15 AM »

I have seen someone on here, not sure who it was, used these little eyelet with a screw end, you can find those in hardware usually used to hang pics with a wire, walmart has a picture hanging kit and they are in it and you can find the seperate to. does that make any sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, and laugh often..
http://deepseasparkle.blogspot.com/
crystalpeace
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009 12:35:27 AM »

i think i remember them saying that you drill a small hole on top and you use the jewelry eyelets and a good glue like e6000
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009 08:55:38 AM »

I don't see a photo or a link in your post, but I presume you mean the regular tile size for Scrabble tiles.

The metal loops with threaded shanks are called "eye screws."  They can be purchased in any hardware store in various sizes.
To get the really small ones though, you may have to go to a hobby or craft store then look in the "miniature wood things" section rather than in the jewelry findings section.  Hobby stores also sell lots of things for making miniatures and dollhouses, etc, so could also be in a different area there.  
Various online jewelry suppliers (firemountaingems.com, etc.) should also have various sizes, and even some online hardware suppliers or dollhouse suppliers.
To use those, you may have to drill a pilot hole first to keep the wood from splitting as the shank is screwed in or just if it's too hard to screw into plain wood (depending on size of shank and type of wood used).

You could also glue in an eye screw (into a large hole) instead of screwing it in, or instead of an eye screw you could
use an eye pin (which also has to be glued in**).  
An eye pin is a wire jewelry finding that has a loop at one end and a long shank (which can be cut to any length with wire cutters or even toe/fingernail clippers).  You'd have to make a hole for eye pins though since there's no sharp point or threads on their shanks.  (Eye pins can also be made at home from wire, using round-nose pliers.)
Often super glue is used as the adhesive, but since the material you're using is probably bare wood (in the hole), you'd probably want to use an especially strong "white glue" (e.g., The Ultimate!" by Crafter's Pick, Weldbond--Universal Adhesive, etc.), or a regular white glue (Sobo, tacky glue, Elmers GlueAll), or use another type of glue--like a 2-part epoxy resin, E6000, or even Gorilla Glue (though that swells as it sets and is yellow).   A clear "cement" type glue might work too, but has no flexibility.

**when embedding eye pins (or head pins) into polymer clay pendants or other danglies, if you ever do that, no glue is necessary if the shank is bent before being inserted into the clay (and clay is snugged back around it):
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/pendants_cording.htm > Full Loops

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 09:03:25 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
april again
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009 07:42:41 AM »

I just bought a set of 100 eye screws from fire mountain gems:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H202222FN

You can get them in silver and gold plated.

Happy Crafting Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlygirlz
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009 08:19:33 PM »

Ooh I love those!  Make sure to show a completed one if you do it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CurlyWhirlyGirly
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009 08:11:03 PM »

Or instead of a screw you can glue on a bail; this requires a really good E600 glue and the bails come in different sizes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...