A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: decent snacks?  (Read 3773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009 04:29:00 PM »

OH! And Kale Chips. Cheap, healthy and tasty.
Rinse and dry kale, place on baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle on sea salt, then bake at 350 until crispy. Yummy. You can even cook it in the frying pan. I like mine with ketchup. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prttynpnk
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009 08:29:21 PM »

Oddly I had a much harder time with cravings when I tried to go vegetarian. When I switched to a vegan diet it seemed like cravings went away much faster. Now I occasionally crave ICE CREAM.. that one can be bad especially when my special PMS time comes, but it gets better and better every month, even the PMS itself isn't really notable anymore. I've only been eating Vegan since Jan of this year and I couldn't be happier or feel much better.

Good luck on your journey!

There are really good vegan "ice creams" out there. Some brands that I like are: Rice Dream, Trader Joe's, So Delicious, Purely Decadent, and Tofutti. They make many different flavors and some make sandwiches and bars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilautumn
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009 03:14:07 PM »

just to add a little p.s. - i recently found out that M&Ms Mars is conducting horrid animal tests.  i don't want to go into the details here because it's not easy reading if you know what i mean, but i encourage you to go to peta.org to check it out.  unfortunately they are the makers of many candies including skittles (mentioned in a post above), starburst, snickers, twix, m&ms, mars bars, milky ways and probably some others i can't think of at the moment (if you're concerned just be sure to check the back of the package to see who the manufacturer is).
sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad but i hope that some of the above snacks are inspiring!

Shocked I hadn't realised.
Thanks for letting us know, I sure as hell won't be buying their products again.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'd also like to add that in America, Skittles have gelatin in them, so they are not veg friendly.
As far as snacks go, try looking around the health food section of your local grocery store, or even stop by a health food store. Lance crackers are all veg friendly. I reccomend American Gourmet products also. They have vegan cheetos and caramel popcorn snacks.
Recently, I've fallen in love with avacodos.

They now make skittles that do not contain gelatin.  The packaging is a little bit different than the kind that does contain gelatin.  Right under the ingredients it should say that it doesn't contain gluten or gelatin.  Either way, I won't be eating them anymore.  Boo animal testing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EMERSON.
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009 11:32:33 PM »

my absolute favorite snack right now is celery with hummus in it. the grocery store i go to has packages of just the inner celery stalks(the kind that are tender and not stringy)
 cherry tomatoes, and pickled veggies, like okra and cauliflower are big on my list too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
beccabur
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009 09:33:36 PM »

Hummus with wheat thins, veggies, or pita.  I also like to make mini pizzas with English muffins and whatever easy toppings I happen to have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happy*chickens
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009 11:10:50 AM »

oooooo NUTS! these are my favurite Tongue
also theres a great treat for summer- sherbet!
simply take any fruit (for texture delight you may use mango, bananas, any fruit with fiber like texture) - slice thik & put in the freezer then when freezed mash it up in a blender! mmmmm Roll Eyes

also sprouts are good!
 refreshing and extremly nutritious. my fav is mung beans and they have the best taste when the tiny root picking out a bit and they're already chewble.

if you're into long term (i mean long) cooking ( i mean dehydrating) i found a recipe for granola bars made diffrently (lacto-fermented, like pickls!) and more nutritiosly...

"Lactic acid bacteria are a group of bacteria including the genus Lactobacilli and others, who can tolerate a lower pH than other bacteria. They occur naturally on food and in your gut where they help you digest food. They eat up sugars and produce lactic acid. "Probiotic" foods contain certain species of lactic acid bacteria intended to aid digestion and promote healthy "gut microflora."
link http://www.instructables.com/id/Lactofermented_Granola/

yeah... am i being to geeky?? : Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alorralora
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010 07:04:23 PM »

Dr. Oz said that it takes roughly 28 days to get beyond cravings. just thought you'd like to know :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010 01:49:31 PM »

I like Tofurkey Jerky.  They have a few flavors, but I stick with the original. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizi
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010 01:09:58 PM »

Oh my do I love to snack! I get what you mean about it being more difficult, I've been at a bit of a loss when it comes to snack time ever since I became vegan over 4 years ago! But here are some I've come up with:

Cookie bites: Whenever I make cookies, I make them a little smaller than the recipe says and have them.
Half an avocado: So good! I just eat it with a spoon, but it's also good with a bit of chilli sauce/salt on.
Dry roasted peanuts: these are dangerous! I could probably eat the whole bag in one go.
Soya yogurts: there are so many great flavours available in the UK now, dark cherry or tropical are my favourite!
Dried fruit: Always good, I keep a little tupperware of dried apricots and mixed nuts in my bag for when I get hungry on the bus!

Any more ideas would be great!

Lizi xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010 07:21:57 PM »

I'm not a veggie...I considered it once, but it didn't go very well. 

Anyways, some one above mentioned hummus.  I know CostCo sells some hummus in little tubs.  Or you could check your grocery store for something like that.

Veggies and fruit are always a good way to go.

I'm a low-carber, so I know the whole snack thing is tough.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Attention Blondes: Get the New Ombre Hair That Everyone Wants
How to Get a Braided Crown with Your Hair
Tips for Managing Gray Hairs
Tips for Taking Care of Your Hair This Winter
Top 7 Hair Myths
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...