A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: decent snacks?  (Read 3766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaissa
« on: June 09, 2009 03:18:46 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some good snacks! I've finally made the conversion to being vegetarian (just a few weeks) and am having a hard time sometimes with starving in the middle of the day. I just keep grabbing carbs - peanut butter sandwiches, crackers, stuff like that. What do you guys keep stocked for when you need a snack NOW?

On a semi-unrelated note, how long does it take to not be tempted to relapse? Sad

thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elucidation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009 08:10:19 AM »

First, a big thumbs up for going vegetarian Smiley I hope you're enjoying it

Here a few ideas.. some of them still carby but I figured it might help other people if they're looking for snacks too..

- nuts/seeds (almonds with raisins are my favourite)
- fruit. Have you tried frozen grapes or frozen banana slices? there's also dried fruit- banana slices with coconut oil are delicious imo, as are apple rings.. )
- licorice! not many people seem to like ordinary black licorice, but are converted when it comes to raspberry flavour. I buy Panda licorice.. or there's some softer black opal confectioner's licorice (? or something the name has passed me at the moment, sorry) here that's also really nice
- popcorn
- dark chocolate
- sweets Cheesy (skittles, starburst and jelly tots are vegan in the UK, as usually are laces, american hard gums, fry's peppermint creams... )
- flapjack :3 yumms
- mini cornish pasties- mostly because they're tasty warm or cold and you can pretty much put in anything you want
-cereal (I like to snack on dry cereal.. that may be weird, though..)

Hope that helps somewhat Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frumpy
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009 01:38:10 PM »

cereal (I like to snack on dry cereal.. that may be weird, though..)

i always do that too! Smiley tastes much better dry anyway
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dress me up like a boy
missmuffcake

Attached to Matt with E600.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009 05:20:04 PM »

-plantains
-soy yogurt
-raisins with peanuts
-slices of watermelon when it's hot out
-Luna bars

I never had the urge to relapse, once I became enlightened I could not justify going back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009 06:35:31 AM »

veggies - carrot sticks, broccoli, celery, bell peppers... if you buy a few, chop them, and stick them in the fridge, you'll have them for whenever.

as for cravings, how long it takes depends on each person. but congrats on your choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009 05:09:58 PM »

i actually find that vegetarian snacks are way easier to think of than vegetarian meals sometimes.  here are just a few of my faves.

-red grapes (i rinse mine, put em in a bowl, and leave them in the fridge for an easy whenever snack)
-apple slices w/ peanut butter
-homemade trail mix (i make mine super simple with peanuts and choc. covered raisins)
-peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat toast
-homemade potato chips w/ sour cream and chives : slice potato very thin, then spread on plate and microwave till crispy - (yes they get crispy!)  mix some chives (fresh or dried) into some fat-free sour cream and serve w/ the chips
-tortilla chips + salsa + guacamole + vegetarian refried beans (try old el paso)
-"B"LT (fakin' bacon on toast w/ lettuce, tomato, and mayo)
-matzoh w/ cream cheese
-TLC cookies or granola bars
-grilled cheese w/ tomato
-almonds (blue diamond has some super delicious flavored ones like cinnamon & brown sugar, and vanilla bean)
-hard boiled egg
-pretzels w/ mustard
-pretzels w/ dark chocolate
-smoothie : add approx 8oz. soy milk, a bunch of frozen berries (i love strawberries and blueberries), a little bit of honey, and a scoop of vanilla flavored whey protein to blender.  blend till smooth.  since the berries are already frozen, there's no need to add any ice that would just water down your smoothie.  *tip* if you throw just a few stalks of frozen broccoli in you'll never taste it!!

i could go on and on...

just to add a little p.s. - i recently found out that M&Ms Mars is conducting horrid animal tests.  i don't want to go into the details here because it's not easy reading if you know what i mean, but i encourage you to go to peta.org to check it out.  unfortunately they are the makers of many candies including skittles (mentioned in a post above), starburst, snickers, twix, m&ms, mars bars, milky ways and probably some others i can't think of at the moment (if you're concerned just be sure to check the back of the package to see who the manufacturer is).
sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad but i hope that some of the above snacks are inspiring!

congrats on becoming vegetarian - you totally rock for doing it!  i know it's tough in the beginning but i know you will be able to stick to your guns and pull it off for the long haul.

xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
copperpot
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009 03:38:25 PM »

For a sweet snack I like to have a couple of Medjool dates. I love them. I cant believe it took me this long to have discovered them.. yum.
Sometimes fresh salsa or guacamole and chips does the trick.
Lately I've found that making my own granola for a snack can be pretty awesome. I make a good size batch and have it for whenever.

Great job on your decision to go vegetarian! Most bad cravings will eventually go away, or at least they have for me. Oddly I had a much harder time with cravings when I tried to go vegetarian. When I switched to a vegan diet it seemed like cravings went away much faster. Now I occasionally crave ICE CREAM.. that one can be bad especially when my special PMS time comes, but it gets better and better every month, even the PMS itself isn't really notable anymore. I've only been eating Vegan since Jan of this year and I couldn't be happier or feel much better.

Good luck on your journey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elucidation
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009 05:42:56 AM »

just to add a little p.s. - i recently found out that M&Ms Mars is conducting horrid animal tests.  i don't want to go into the details here because it's not easy reading if you know what i mean, but i encourage you to go to peta.org to check it out.  unfortunately they are the makers of many candies including skittles (mentioned in a post above), starburst, snickers, twix, m&ms, mars bars, milky ways and probably some others i can't think of at the moment (if you're concerned just be sure to check the back of the package to see who the manufacturer is).
sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad but i hope that some of the above snacks are inspiring!

Shocked I hadn't realised.
Thanks for letting us know, I sure as hell won't be buying their products again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009 05:08:17 PM »

thank you all for the awesome ideas!

Thanks for letting us know, I sure as hell won't be buying their products again.

and yes, thanks for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009 07:35:51 PM »

Thanks for mentioning this. I'd also like to add that in America, Skittles have gelatin in them, so they are not veg friendly.
As far as snacks go, try looking around the health food section of your local grocery store, or even stop by a health food store. Lance crackers are all veg friendly. I reccomend American Gourmet products also. They have vegan cheetos and caramel popcorn snacks.
Recently, I've fallen in love with avacodos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 15/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 10/21
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 8/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 9/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 7/9
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...