A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bebe strapless pleated dress  (Read 1648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsamutiny
« on: June 08, 2009 10:23:42 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/nvv2cv
i'd like to make that dress, but i'm not sure how to do the skirt part. the bodice will be easy, i'll be able to draft my own pattern for that. it looks like the stripes on the skirt are sort of wavy, and that's the part that throws me. any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LagamorphLounge
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009 01:20:59 AM »

Very cute dress.  I love that style.  As for the stripes on the skirt....I don't think that they are wavy, I think they just look that way because of how the pleating lays and the position of the model.  It looks like it should be easy enough to reproduce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009 01:25:01 AM »

at first i thought that too, but if you look at the bottom, there are places where the white stripe definitely is not parallel to the hem.

and yeah, it looks SUPER easy (other than the stripes). i'll probably add a removable strap and make it a bit longer, though. i'm excited about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veghead
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009 04:37:51 AM »

The strips are done before the pleating and before even attaching the skirt to the top. You will sew your stripes while the fabric is flat. Get a large sheet of paper (or tape newspaper together). The very top of your paper will remain straight because that is your seam to the bodice. Measure on yourself how far down you would like the black stripe to begin. Transfer that measurement to your paper (be sure to add seam allowance). Draw the wavy line to separate the two colors (gray and black). CUT on this line when you are satisfied with the shape. Now you want the top of the black line to be a reverse image of the bottom black line. Take the "Gray" top of paper that has been cut from the "black" and move it down on your paper past the black. Do you see how this is the EXACT shape you need for the bottom of the black? Trace it. Yeah now you have a pattern for the gray and black sections of your skirt. Again be sure to remember that seam allowance will be taken from the top and bottom so draw stripes thicker than you want the final product to be. Continue this way. The top of the white is already drawn from the bottom of the black. Cut paper again. Move black down to trace the bottom shape of the white. The bottom of your paper is the hem-line. You may add more paper to bottom to make it longer etc. -----Take this pattern and trace out the  pieces on the corresponding fabric. Sew pieces together. This is the rectangle of fabric you will use to sew the skirt and pleat. Hope this makes sense.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009 04:46:33 AM »

wow, thank you so much. will sewing the stripes together be more difficult because of the curves along the edges? the vast majority of my sewing has been stuff like darts and side seams and stuff, where both sides are straight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veghead
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009 05:12:32 AM »

Just put right sides of fabric together and use lots of pins since you are a beginner. The more practice you get with sewing the less pins you will use. I didn't realize you were a beginner--I left out some crucial steps that I thought you would know.  The pattern you draw needs to line up exactly to the opposite side since it will be sewn together and the lines must match. It might be best to make a small template of one wave and keep flipping it on straight line that goes across your paper as a guideline. After halfway across your paper you can fold your paper in half and trace the waves. That first wave line Must match up at the end. Be anal or it will be sloppy in the back. Also when you move the paper down to trace the rest use a measuring tape to be sure it is even across and one side is not higher than the other. --The pattern piece needs to be half the size of the finished product. Place it on the fold of your fabric to cut the full size out. However, because it is pleated if your backs do not match up exactly it is not going to ruin the dress. Just make the pleat fold over it to cover it and no one will notice (just depends if you are a perfectionist or not). Your zipper will probably extend into part of your skirt also.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 05:14:53 AM by Veghead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009 05:29:12 AM »

i wouldn't say i'm a beginner, i mean i've sewn two corsets, one with my own pattern, i've made plenty of skirts, and i'm in the midst of making a very fitted swing dress without a pattern. i've just never sewn together two curves like that, at least not recently. really the last time i did was spring of '06 for my prom corset, and even then, it was only a total of four seams, nothing nearly as big as these stripes, haha. the rest of it all makes perfect sense to me though, and i'm probably not going to have the stripes be mirror images on each side just because this doesn't seem like something that should be symmetrical, although i'll probably still fold the pattern in half like you suggest, so i can make sure that the edges of the stripes meet at the seam. thanks again! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
How to Make Rocker Chain Link Jewelry
How to Make a Nude Color Block Necklace
How to Use Crystal Clay and Swarovski Chatons
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...